Sign in with
Your question

Help! Cooler Bracket on AM2 MB Broken!

Last response: in CPUs
March 17, 2007 2:22:42 AM

Recently I was doing a gaming session on BF 2142 and the sytem shutdown suddenly. It did this three times and I finally opened the case and found my Artic Freezer 64 Pro OFF THE PROCESSOR 8O AND LOOSE ON TOP OF MY 8800GTS! :(  The thing had come completely loose from the MB and the part of the plastic bracket was snapped off. I am using the same computer to type with the tower lying sideways on the floor and the cooler JUST RESTING on the CPU! Please help!

Many Thanks!

Cullen (A.K.A Bolt14)
March 17, 2007 2:26:09 AM

you might be able to get another bracket from your mobo manufacturer?
March 17, 2007 1:01:33 PM

Just when on another thread (Picking a CPU), I was discussing with apt403 the more or less danger of of tower coolers :D 
You should find some mounting brackets around on ewiz or newegg, in the same session of coolers :wink:
Related resources
March 17, 2007 1:35:38 PM

yeah i have a couple of the arcticfreezer coolers.

tall and kinda heavy 8O .

but ihave had no problems yet.

**now going to go and knock on some wood**

oh except for the fact that my hdd is broke on my main gaming
computer :x

only got to enjoy the new 8800 card for bearly a week before
the hdd decided to go south :cry: 
March 17, 2007 2:11:42 PM

I intend to. :evil:  ASUS has been good to me up till now. What REALLY ticks me off is I am now like SirHeck. Except I have 2 useless 8800GTS' sitting in a damaged M2N32 SLI Deluxe! :( 
March 17, 2007 2:15:54 PM

What I am more worried about is if I have damaged my CPU because before I realized the cooler was off, I had the computer running :!: I dont have much money to replace things with because I just spent a good chunk of it on those 2 8800's.
March 17, 2007 2:19:53 PM

if you had your computer side ways and it was working.
then your cpu is probably ok.

you should be able to get another bracket from asus.

then swap them out.
i cant remember but they should be a bolt on bracket.
March 17, 2007 3:16:16 PM

You are lucky because thermal right has made a new version of the am2 heat sink bracket that will work well with your freezer pro 64.

thermalright am2 bracket rev 2

p.s. it's cheap
March 17, 2007 6:26:23 PM

I have the feeling the same is gonna happen with my scythe infinity on my core 2.....
March 17, 2007 7:10:59 PM

Well.. find someway to secure it with string/tie straps if its really that bad.
March 17, 2007 8:33:34 PM

This is quite like deja vue. I have the same cooler but on a 939 and I was playing BattleField and i heard a snap and a clunk... I immediatly thought "Uh oh thats not good" and i shut down and what did you know, the plastic snapped from the the bracket. Good luck to ya, i had to go 1 week without my comp :(  while I ordered a new one online, it was like 7$
March 17, 2007 8:47:22 PM

lol string.

and that revision? 8O looks like they just combined a s478 bit onto the am2.
your lucky that mb isnt dead too 8) ..

i think you remove the thing by unscrewing the two bolts and take off the backplate thing. ( the crazycool or sumthing like that)
March 17, 2007 8:48:28 PM

I had the same thing happen with my current system using the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64, and EPoX wouldn't replace the bracket unless I RMAed the whole motherboard. That wasn't an option because I needed my computer for schoolwork, so I made a replacement out of Lexan. Instead of making a cooler with tabs though, I made one with holes for screw-on style heatsinks and then bought a Zalman 9500. Here are some pictures:

If making a custom part is not an option for you, then the Thermalright bracket linked above is probably a good idea.
March 17, 2007 10:41:35 PM

Actually, I have now fixed it and you won't believe whats holding it on there. Ready? TWIST TIES!!! :lol: 
!