Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PS2 problem

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

My PS\2 keyboard and mouse no longer work on my windows 2000 server. It has
service pack 4 and is right up to date. Device manager says "Your registry
might be corrupted. (Code 19)" This problem started over a year ago but I
didn't have time to look at it. I have been using remote control on the
server ever since. I need to get this working, preferably without
re-installing the OS. Anyone have any idea's on how I can get around this
problem. I don't have a backup, I have tried uninstalling the device but did
not help. Thanks

More about : ps2 problem

June 20, 2005 2:09:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Does the KB work outside of windows? As for accessing the CMOS?

I had a similar problem happen to a machine where the 8042? controller chip
flaked out on the motherboard and my only solution was to use USB devices.
However, I understand this would not work if the server firmware does not
support legacy USB KB for out of band management.

"lonni3b" wrote:

> My PS\2 keyboard and mouse no longer work on my windows 2000 server. It has
> service pack 4 and is right up to date. Device manager says "Your registry
> might be corrupted. (Code 19)" This problem started over a year ago but I
> didn't have time to look at it. I have been using remote control on the
> server ever since. I need to get this working, preferably without
> re-installing the OS. Anyone have any idea's on how I can get around this
> problem. I don't have a backup, I have tried uninstalling the device but did
> not help. Thanks
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 2:29:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

yes the KB does work outside of windows. Does not work in windows or in
windows safe mode. USB devices do work on the server but doesn't help me a
few reasons. I need to use a KVM for all my server and space is limited.
Also, I am having a memory leak problem on the server and need to do a memory
dump using KB combination that must come from a PS\2 keyboard.

"PaulM" wrote:

> Does the KB work outside of windows? As for accessing the CMOS?
>
> I had a similar problem happen to a machine where the 8042? controller chip
> flaked out on the motherboard and my only solution was to use USB devices.
> However, I understand this would not work if the server firmware does not
> support legacy USB KB for out of band management.
>
> "lonni3b" wrote:
>
> > My PS\2 keyboard and mouse no longer work on my windows 2000 server. It has
> > service pack 4 and is right up to date. Device manager says "Your registry
> > might be corrupted. (Code 19)" This problem started over a year ago but I
> > didn't have time to look at it. I have been using remote control on the
> > server ever since. I need to get this working, preferably without
> > re-installing the OS. Anyone have any idea's on how I can get around this
> > problem. I don't have a backup, I have tried uninstalling the device but did
> > not help. Thanks
Related resources
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 2:40:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

hello lonnie,

to fix the problem you are facing, take the following steps: -

1 Verify that KBDClass.Sys, MouClass.Sys and i8042prt.sys files are present
on the system. if any of them are missing, copy them from a working sytem (
Same OS)

2 Browse through the registry to
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}:U
pperFilters

for the upper filters section ensure "kbdclass" is the only upper filter
listed. delete the addition upper filters.

also,

browse to
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}:U
pperFilters

ensure the only upper filter listed here is mouclass. if not, delete the
additional filters.

if the above steps donot help, export the above mentioned keys from a
working system & import them to this server.

this should fix the problem. let me know if you need further clarifications
on this.




"lonni3b" wrote:

> My PS\2 keyboard and mouse no longer work on my windows 2000 server. It has
> service pack 4 and is right up to date. Device manager says "Your registry
> might be corrupted. (Code 19)" This problem started over a year ago but I
> didn't have time to look at it. I have been using remote control on the
> server ever since. I need to get this working, preferably without
> re-installing the OS. Anyone have any idea's on how I can get around this
> problem. I don't have a backup, I have tried uninstalling the device but did
> not help. Thanks
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 4:01:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Bingo, yes this was the problem. I removed an entry in the upperfilters and
left the "kbdclass" in there, rebooted and the keyboard and mouse were back.

Thanks alot for your support.

"TUSHAR MALIK (ms support)" wrote:

> hello lonnie,
>
> to fix the problem you are facing, take the following steps: -
>
> 1 Verify that KBDClass.Sys, MouClass.Sys and i8042prt.sys files are present
> on the system. if any of them are missing, copy them from a working sytem (
> Same OS)
>
> 2 Browse through the registry to
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}:U
> pperFilters
>
> for the upper filters section ensure "kbdclass" is the only upper filter
> listed. delete the addition upper filters.
>
> also,
>
> browse to
> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}:U
> pperFilters
>
> ensure the only upper filter listed here is mouclass. if not, delete the
> additional filters.
>
> if the above steps donot help, export the above mentioned keys from a
> working system & import them to this server.
>
> this should fix the problem. let me know if you need further clarifications
> on this.
>
>
>
>
> "lonni3b" wrote:
>
> > My PS\2 keyboard and mouse no longer work on my windows 2000 server. It has
> > service pack 4 and is right up to date. Device manager says "Your registry
> > might be corrupted. (Code 19)" This problem started over a year ago but I
> > didn't have time to look at it. I have been using remote control on the
> > server ever since. I need to get this working, preferably without
> > re-installing the OS. Anyone have any idea's on how I can get around this
> > problem. I don't have a backup, I have tried uninstalling the device but did
> > not help. Thanks
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 7:35:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

"" wrote:
> Bingo, yes this was the problem. I removed an entry in the
> upperfilters and
> left the "kbdclass" in there, rebooted and the keyboard and
> mouse were back.
>
> Thanks alot for your support.
>
> "TUSHAR MALIK (ms support)" wrote:
>
> > hello lonnie,
> >
> > to fix the problem you are facing, take the following steps:
> -
> >
> > 1 Verify that KBDClass.Sys, MouClass.Sys and i8042prt.sys
> files are present
> > on the system. if any of them are missing, copy them from a
> working sytem (
> > Same OS)
> >
> > 2 Browse through the registry to
> >
> HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E96B-E325-11C
> E-BFC1-08002BE10318}:U
> > pperFilters
> >
> > for the upper filters section ensure "kbdclass" is the only
> upper filter
> > listed. delete the addition upper filters.
> >
> > also,
> >
> > browse to
> >
> HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E96F-E325-11C
> E-BFC1-08002BE10318}:U
> > pperFilters
> >
> > ensure the only upper filter listed here is mouclass. if
> not, delete the
> > additional filters.
> >
> > if the above steps donot help, export the above mentioned
> keys from a
> > working system & import them to this server.
> >
> > this should fix the problem. let me know if you need further
> clarifications
> > on this.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "lonni3b" wrote:
> >
>  > > My PS2 keyboard and mouse no longer work on my
> windows 2000 server. It has
>  > > service pack 4 and is right up to date. Device
> manager says "Your registry
>  > > might be corrupted. (Code 19)" This problem started
> over a year ago but I
>  > > didn't have time to look at it. I have been using
> remote control on the
>  > > server ever since. I need to get this working,
> preferably without
>  > > re-installing the OS. Anyone have any idea's on how
> I can get around this
>  > > problem. I don't have a backup, I have tried
> uninstalling the device but did
>  > > not help. Thanks

I am having a similar problem. I followed these steps, and yellow flag
went away,but the keyboard still does not work in Windows. The
keyboard still says that the drivers are not signed, altho each driver
says it is signed by MS

Neither PS2 or USB keyboard will work. PS2 mouse will freeze when
keyboard is touched. USB mouse works fine.

Any ideas?

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Setup---Deploy---Upgrade-P...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1760796
Anonymous
January 19, 2010 1:27:13 PM

I just had this same problem with my PS/2 keyboard locking up and taking my PS/2 mouse with it. I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home SP3 and solved the problem with TUSHAR MALIK's fix.

Thankfully I had a USB mouse on hand to bypass the PS/2 port. The USB mouse allowed me to boot as long as I avoided using the keyboard. It seems the Prevx virus scanner added an entry to my keyboard's UpperFilters so I deleted it using the right-click shortcut menu. I also needed a newer i8042prt.sys (v5.1.2600.5512, 51.2K, created 9/3/2002, included in SP3) which I copied from \Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 to \Windows\System32\Drivers. Again, the key for me was using the mouse exclusively. After restarting with my PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse reconnected and the USB mouse removed, everything was back to normal, dare I say even a bit speedier.

Thanks a million Tushar!!!

Dawn

> "TUSHAR MALIK (ms support)" wrote:
>
> > 1 Verify that KBDClass.Sys, MouClass.Sys and i8042prt.sys files are present
> >
> > 2 Browse through the registry to
> >
HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}:UpperFilters
> >
> > ensure "kbdclass" is the only upper filter listed. delete the addition upper filters.
> >
> > also, browse to
> >
HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlClass{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}:UpperFilters
> >
> > ensure the only upper filter listed here is mouclass. if not, delete the additional filters.
!