OCing GTS 8800 640 in Vista

Anymeans

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
From a look around the forums I don't think there is any software out yet that can OC a 8800 GTS in Vista. Is this right?

Tried to use Smartdoc 4.94 (came with card) and wouldn't install. Found an update 4.95 and wouldn't install. Tried latest ATI tools atnd wouldn;t install.

Not confident enough to do any BIOS flashing (if I knew what it meant).

Any suggestions? What about playing in BIOS with the Robust Graphics Booster setting to take from Auto to Turbo? (have GA 965P-DS3 rev 3.3 mobo).

Thanks

Anymeans

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
Thanks... that one worked! Now can anyone give me advice on what to do with it:) Cant recall if I said in orig post but using a ASUS GTS 8800 640 MB with an E6600 C2D and 2G RAM... CPU currently OC'd to 3GHz and getting CPU temps around 53 C in TAT.

Looking at ATI Tool Core Clock is at 513 (base 500 I believe) and mem clock at 792 (base 800????). I have enabled RGB to TURBO in BIOS as I found as I OC'd the CPU my graphics performance fell (using 3DMark06... anyone know why that would be???) so lifted it back up to where it started using RGB.
Looking at the temp reading in the ATI Tool for the GPU it seems to idle at 59C and rise to 70C under load (ran the 3D View... very slowly crept up)

So do I just raise until I get artifacts? Is there some reasonable temp I should limit things too, to protect GPU life?

Should I disable Robust Graphics Booster this and just use ATITool?

Thanks

makaka

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Yeah better go with ati tool.keep good air fellow in your case or place a 80 fan over the video card 70c full should be about right but this will not leave large overclocking.
try to find your max using ati tool max gpu then max memory :)

Spyder3

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I've got the EVGA 8800 640mb factory OC'd at 567/850 and an idle temp of 54 to 55c. So you might want to get a little better air flow. I'm not sure how much faster i want to take mine but i plan on testing it out soon.
Hope that helps

PS i'm not a vista user but does nvidia's Ntune not work for vista? maybe look at that one too. It has a FIND OPTIMAL setting where it does the OC for you to the best point.

Anymeans

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
I do actually already have an additional fan near the vid card so not sure how much more I can do... maybe I can find somewhere to set its speed higher?

I saw somewhere that I should seek to keep it under 80C under load (max out at around 90 I believe) so using that as a guide.

I played around and got to 575/900 without any worries... suspect it can go quite a bit higher but just don;t know tradeoffs... if i do it permanently how much life of card will be impacted etc.

Also guess it depends on what real life game impact I see.

No ntune doesn;t work with vista yet

TRENDING THREADS