No backup and ... tragedy

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi there,

This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).

A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
The system halted.
On reboot (several times):
- all her files were gone
- all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message ignored)
- desktop icons were gone
but
- her husbands (other account) files are still there

Question 1:
What happened?
The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons, ...?

Question 2:
Is there salvation?
As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999, some
containing fragments of her files.

Kind regards, Frans
16 answers Last reply
More about backup tragedy
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Frans van Zelm wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    >
    > A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    > The system halted.
    > On reboot (several times):
    > - all her files were gone
    > - all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message
    > ignored)
    > - desktop icons were gone
    > but
    > - her husbands (other account) files are still there
    >
    > Question 1:
    > What happened?
    > The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons,
    > ...?
    >
    > Question 2:
    > Is there salvation?
    > As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
    > I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999, some
    > containing fragments of her files.
    >
    > Kind regards, Frans

    Normally, CDs do not "explode". Only if it was spun faster than a normal
    (properly functioning) CD player could OR if the CD itself was already
    fractured. It would not (in the latter case) cause trouble with the hard
    drive.

    However - the fact you found the "found.xxx" files tells me there was hard
    drive failure of some sort - possibly a power surge that caused both issues?
    The bad drive is likely going south fast - backup files you can and get a
    diagnostic application from the web page of the manufacturer of the hard
    disk drive and test it.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Frans van Zelm wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    >
    >A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.

    What do you mean "a music CD"? A prerecorded CD from the music store,
    or some pirate CD that somebody else made and which may or may not have
    had viruses on it?

    If it was a legitimate music store CD, then I see no way that could have
    damaged anything. More likely the computer died and in the process
    somehow killed the CD too. Even if the CD physically "exploded", which
    seems unlikely, I can't see how that would damage anything more than the
    CD drive itself. Perhaps someone else here will have other experience.

    Regardless of the proximate cause of the problem, it sounds to me like
    she's screwed. She may be able to recover individual data files, but
    it's going to take a lot of detective work and effort. I hope her
    husband's files are now backed up?

    Good luck...

    Bill
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    You could try tapping the F8 key on start-up,select."Start in last good
    known configuration".Or replace the cdrom,open xp,press,Ctrl_Alt_Delete
    at the same time,this opens task mgr,select,new task,type:cmd Install xp cd,
    exit the info page,then type:Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C: /F
    Agree to restart,then type:EXIT Restart computer,remove xp cd.

    "Frans van Zelm" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    >
    > A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    > The system halted.
    > On reboot (several times):
    > - all her files were gone
    > - all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message ignored)
    > - desktop icons were gone
    > but
    > - her husbands (other account) files are still there
    >
    > Question 1:
    > What happened?
    > The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons, ...?
    >
    > Question 2:
    > Is there salvation?
    > As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
    > I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999, some
    > containing fragments of her files.
    >
    > Kind regards, Frans

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    the problems are unrelated. it's just coincidental.
    if the cdrom drive reads other cd's, it's fine and
    doesn't need to be replaced. the cd was flawed.

    What i'd do about the missing files, etc., is pull the hard drive and
    install it in another computer as a slave, and run a good anti-virus program
    on it, also adaware and spybot.
    you can try the undelete funtion, too.

    if you don't have access to a spare computer, you can go on line and do a
    real time scan of your system. try here:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    Also, there are programs for retreiveing lost files, but the more the system
    was used after the file was lost, the less likely it is you will be able to
    get it all.

    http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    wrote in message news:%23QyiRiwMFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Frans van Zelm wrote:
    >
    > >Hi there,
    > >
    > >This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    > >
    > >A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    > >

    > What do you mean "a music CD"? A prerecorded CD from the music store,
    > or some pirate CD that somebody else made and which may or may not have
    > had viruses on it?
    >
    > If it was a legitimate music store CD, then I see no way that could have
    > damaged anything. More likely the computer died and in the process
    > somehow killed the CD too. Even if the CD physically "exploded", which
    > seems unlikely, I can't see how that would damage anything more than the
    > CD drive itself. Perhaps someone else here will have other experience.
    >
    > Regardless of the proximate cause of the problem, it sounds to me like
    > she's screwed. She may be able to recover individual data files, but
    > it's going to take a lot of detective work and effort. I hope her
    > husband's files are now backed up?
    >
    > Good luck...
    >
    > Bill
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Shenan Stanley wrote:
    > Frans van Zelm wrote:
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    >>
    >> A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    >> The system halted.
    >> On reboot (several times):
    >> - all her files were gone
    >> - all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message
    >> ignored)
    >> - desktop icons were gone
    >> but
    >> - her husbands (other account) files are still there
    >>
    >> Question 1:
    >> What happened?
    >> The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons,
    >> ...?
    >>
    >> Question 2:
    >> Is there salvation?
    >> As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
    >> I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999,
    >> some containing fragments of her files.
    >>
    >> Kind regards, Frans
    >
    > Normally, CDs do not "explode". Only if it was spun faster than a
    > normal (properly functioning) CD player could OR if the CD itself was
    > already fractured. It would not (in the latter case) cause trouble
    > with the hard drive.
    >
    > However - the fact you found the "found.xxx" files tells me there was
    > hard drive failure of some sort - possibly a power surge that caused
    > both issues? The bad drive is likely going south fast - backup files
    > you can and get a diagnostic application from the web page of the
    > manufacturer of the hard disk drive and test it.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Actually, cd's can and sometimes do " explode". While rare, they can do so,
    rendering damage to the drive they are in.

    Cd's are made from a plastic called polycarbonate - some may be familiar
    with the term Lexan. Some even relate Lexan to being an " unbreakable"
    material, which is a mistatement. Polycarbonate can shatter, typically
    caused when a stress crack is introduced. Stress cracks can come from hard
    blow, from a cleaning chemical, being exposed to the sun, etc...

    --
    Don Burnette

    "When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
    way of the man that's doing it."

    Harry Ohrn wrote:

    >http://www.powerlabs.org/cdexplode.htm

    Interesting web site. It never crossed my mind anyone would try to spin
    a plastic CD at 10,000 rpm.

    Bill
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:46:00 +0200, Frans van Zelm wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    >
    > A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.

    That's really hard to believe, but I'll let it stand.

    > The system halted.

    The CD had nothing to do with the Halt.

    > On reboot (several times):
    > - all her files were gone
    > - all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message ignored)
    > - desktop icons were gone
    > but
    > - her husbands (other account) files are still there

    If only one users files are missing/corrupt, and the other users programs
    still work, including the programs they shared, then you've got a ghost in
    the machine.

    Even if her profile were trashed, the shared applications, had they been
    deleted/corrupted, would not work for the other user.

    > Question 1:
    > What happened?
    > The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons, ...?

    Hard to say, the CD breaking has nothing to do with the fault - it can't
    physically hurt the hard drive, and removal of a CD in the middle of
    playing, even forcing the drive open, won't damage files on the hard drive.

    > Question 2:
    > Is there salvation?
    > As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
    > I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999, some
    > containing fragments of her files.

    Found.004 indicates that there were three prior instances where problems
    occurred with the drive/system. If the file fragments are numbered 0-9999
    then there was a serious corruption of the drive, and it would not just
    impact her files, it would be system wide.

    At this point you have two problems:

    1) You need to replace the CD-Rom drive, if it spun a disk fast enough to
    frag it, then it needs replaced. If it damaged a disk in some other means,
    enough to frag it, then it still needs replaced.

    2) Your drive is filled with found files because CHKDSK is detecting a
    data problem, either crashed apps with opened files or bad drive media -
    replace the hard drive and start over.

    While there are indications that we don't have the full story here, the
    corrupt user profile and users files, without touching the other users
    files is very suspicious. It's almost like it was done on purpose.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Hi Andrew,

    I will try "<F8>, Start last good configuration" for sure. Thanks for the
    hint.

    Can you explain a bit on your other suggestion? What will it do?

    Frans

    > You could try tapping the F8 key on start-up,select."Start in last good
    > known configuration".Or replace the cdrom,open xp,press,Ctrl_Alt_Delete
    > at the same time,this opens task mgr,select,new task,type:cmd Install xp
    cd,
    > exit the info page,then type:Sfc /Scannow When its thru,type:CHKDSK C:
    /F
    > Agree to restart,then type:EXIT Restart computer,remove xp cd.
    >
    > "Frans van Zelm" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    > >
    > > A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    > > The system halted.
    > > On reboot (several times):
    > > - all her files were gone
    > > - all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message
    ignored)
    > > - desktop icons were gone
    > > but
    > > - her husbands (other account) files are still there
    > >
    > > Question 1:
    > > What happened?
    > > The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons, ...?
    > >
    > > Question 2:
    > > Is there salvation?
    > > As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
    > > I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999, some
    > > containing fragments of her files.
    > >
    > > Kind regards, Frans

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi Shenan,

    Indeed, cd's normally do not explode. But this one already gave trouble in
    the hifi-cd player and she wanted to try it in the computer. It must have
    been defect.

    What amazes me is that most info in her 'Documents and settings' folder
    seems
    to have gone. Her husbands 'Documents and settings' folder seems healthy.

    Could it be that 'all files in use' were 'shredded' at the moment that the
    cd
    player was damaged?

    Frans

    > Frans van Zelm wrote:
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    > >
    > > A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    > > The system halted.
    > > On reboot (several times):
    > > - all her files were gone
    > > - all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message
    > > ignored)
    > > - desktop icons were gone
    > > but
    > > - her husbands (other account) files are still there
    > >
    > > Question 1:
    > > What happened?
    > > The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons,
    > > ...?
    > >
    > > Question 2:
    > > Is there salvation?
    > > As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
    > > I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999, some
    > > containing fragments of her files.
    > >
    > > Kind regards, Frans
    >
    > Normally, CDs do not "explode". Only if it was spun faster than a normal
    > (properly functioning) CD player could OR if the CD itself was already
    > fractured. It would not (in the latter case) cause trouble with the hard
    > drive.
    >
    > However - the fact you found the "found.xxx" files tells me there was hard
    > drive failure of some sort - possibly a power surge that caused both
    issues?
    > The bad drive is likely going south fast - backup files you can and get a
    > diagnostic application from the web page of the manufacturer of the hard
    > disk drive and test it.
    >
    > --
    > <- Shenan ->

    Hi Bill

    It was a legitimate music store CD. But this one already gave trouble in
    the hifi-cd player and she wanted to try it in the computer. It must have
    been defect.

    And I will warn her dear husband at a suitable moment. For now, they try
    to get over the loss.

    Frans

    "Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)" <wylie@earthNOSPAMlink.net>
    wrote in message news:%23QyiRiwMFHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Frans van Zelm wrote:
    >
    > >Hi there,
    > >
    > >This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    > >
    > >A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    > >

    > What do you mean "a music CD"? A prerecorded CD from the music store,
    > or some pirate CD that somebody else made and which may or may not have
    > had viruses on it?
    >
    > If it was a legitimate music store CD, then I see no way that could have
    > damaged anything. More likely the computer died and in the process
    > somehow killed the CD too. Even if the CD physically "exploded", which
    > seems unlikely, I can't see how that would damage anything more than the
    > CD drive itself. Perhaps someone else here will have other experience.
    >
    > Regardless of the proximate cause of the problem, it sounds to me like
    > she's screwed. She may be able to recover individual data files, but
    > it's going to take a lot of detective work and effort. I hope her
    > husband's files are now backed up?
    >
    > Good luck...
    >
    > Bill
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    A few years ago, a friend of mine had a 50x (that's was a laugh in itself -
    it still read data off at only a fraction of that speed), cd-rom drive that
    several times ejected the drawer with cd spinning at full speed. After a
    literally just missed him, he carefully removed the drive from his system
    box, took it outside and put it down in hisdriveway, and gave it one
    almighty smack with a sledge hammer.

    One would perhaps be wrong to assume that the hardware and firmware in all
    cd/dvd drives would be designed so that this sort of fault could never
    occur.

    (Hello Dave - if you're in here and spot this post - remember that drive LOL
    !) :-)

    regards, Richard

    "Frans van Zelm" <fhvzelm@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Shenan,
    >
    > Indeed, cd's normally do not explode. But this one already gave trouble in
    > the hifi-cd player and she wanted to try it in the computer. It must have
    > been defect.
    >
    > What amazes me is that most info in her 'Documents and settings' folder
    > seems
    > to have gone. Her husbands 'Documents and settings' folder seems healthy.
    >
    > Could it be that 'all files in use' were 'shredded' at the moment that the
    > cd
    > player was damaged?
    >
    > Frans
    >
    > "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Frans van Zelm wrote:
    >> > Hi there,
    >> >
    >> > This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    >> >
    >> > A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    >> > The system halted.
    >> > On reboot (several times):
    >> > - all her files were gone
    >> > - all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message
    >> > ignored)
    >> > - desktop icons were gone
    >> > but
    >> > - her husbands (other account) files are still there
    >> >
    >> > Question 1:
    >> > What happened?
    >> > The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons,
    >> > ...?
    >> >
    >> > Question 2:
    >> > Is there salvation?
    >> > As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
    >> > I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999, some
    >> > containing fragments of her files.
    >> >
    >> > Kind regards, Frans
    >>
    >> Normally, CDs do not "explode". Only if it was spun faster than a normal
    >> (properly functioning) CD player could OR if the CD itself was already
    >> fractured. It would not (in the latter case) cause trouble with the hard
    >> drive.
    >>
    >> However - the fact you found the "found.xxx" files tells me there was
    >> hard
    >> drive failure of some sort - possibly a power surge that caused both
    > issues?
    >> The bad drive is likely going south fast - backup files you can and get a
    >> diagnostic application from the web page of the manufacturer of the hard
    >> disk drive and test it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> <- Shenan ->
    >> --
    >> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
    >> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
    >> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
    >> getting into before you jump in with both feet.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:
    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:46:00 +0200, Frans van Zelm wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    >>
    >>A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    >

    > That's really hard to believe, but I'll let it stand.

    PC User magazine in Australia has discussed the exploding/shattering of
    CDs. I've done a very quick search of their web site (painfully slow
    site on dialup) and it's definitely known in Oz.
    http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/web/1F0C6F74807F6711CA256E84001FA630

    The magazine article was quite some time ago but I'm sure part of the
    concern was that someone had been struck or nearly struck in the eye by
    a flying piece.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    > Hi there,
    >
    > This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    >
    > A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    > The system halted.
    > On reboot (several times):
    > - all her files were gone

    It's a long shot but...

    If the broken CD jammed the CD drive motor or caused lots of vibration then
    it might just be possible for it to have damaged the hard drive.

    If it jammed the motor then it might have caused excess current to be draw
    from the power supply and dipped the supply rails. That might have caused a
    crash and/or HD corruption. Excess vibration from the out of ballance CD
    might have caused a head crash on the HD.

    Make sure you get all the little bits of the CD out of the drive or it may
    jam up something at a later date.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Interesting tale. My son & I were playing a game that although did not
    "explode" did freeze/lock the drive and had to perform a system restore. Now
    my hard drive is full from the restore. Any ideas on how to get rid of files
    that were probably "doubled" in the copying process?

    "Leythos" wrote:

    > On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:46:00 +0200, Frans van Zelm wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi there,
    > >
    > > This is what happened to a friend of mine (no kidding, not to me).
    > >
    > > A music cd 'exploded' in the drive.
    >
    > That's really hard to believe, but I'll let it stand.
    >
    > > The system halted.
    >
    > The CD had nothing to do with the Halt.
    >
    > > On reboot (several times):
    > > - all her files were gone
    > > - all programs asked for installation disk (but start if message ignored)
    > > - desktop icons were gone
    > > but
    > > - her husbands (other account) files are still there
    >
    > If only one users files are missing/corrupt, and the other users programs
    > still work, including the programs they shared, then you've got a ghost in
    > the machine.
    >
    > Even if her profile were trashed, the shared applications, had they been
    > deleted/corrupted, would not work for the other user.
    >
    > > Question 1:
    > > What happened?
    > > The cd broke, okay. But what happened to the files, desktop icons, ...?
    >
    > Hard to say, the CD breaking has nothing to do with the fault - it can't
    > physically hurt the hard drive, and removal of a CD in the middle of
    > playing, even forcing the drive open, won't damage files on the hard drive.
    >
    > > Question 2:
    > > Is there salvation?
    > > As mentioned in the subject: she has no (recent) backup.
    > > I found a folder Found.004 with files numbered from 0000 to 9999, some
    > > containing fragments of her files.
    >
    > Found.004 indicates that there were three prior instances where problems
    > occurred with the drive/system. If the file fragments are numbered 0-9999
    > then there was a serious corruption of the drive, and it would not just
    > impact her files, it would be system wide.
    >
    > At this point you have two problems:
    >
    > 1) You need to replace the CD-Rom drive, if it spun a disk fast enough to
    > frag it, then it needs replaced. If it damaged a disk in some other means,
    > enough to frag it, then it still needs replaced.
    >
    > 2) Your drive is filled with found files because CHKDSK is detecting a
    > data problem, either crashed apps with opened files or bad drive media -
    > replace the hard drive and start over.
    >
    > While there are indications that we don't have the full story here, the
    > corrupt user profile and users files, without touching the other users
    > files is very suspicious. It's almost like it was done on purpose.
    >

    > --
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    System Restore cannot "fill up" your hard drive, but if it could, then
    undoing the System Restore should correct this.

    "eepp" <eepp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > occurred with the drive/system. If the file fragments are numbered
    0-9999
    > > then there was a serious corruption of the drive, and it would not just
    > > impact her files, it would be system wide.
    > >
    > > At this point you have two problems:
    > >
    > > 1) You need to replace the CD-Rom drive, if it spun a disk fast enough
    > > frag it, then it needs replaced. If it damaged a disk in some other
    means,
    > > enough to frag it, then it still needs replaced.
    > >
    > > 2) Your drive is filled with found files because CHKDSK is detecting a
    > > data problem, either crashed apps with opened files or bad drive media -
    > > replace the hard drive and start over.
    > >
    > > While there are indications that we don't have the full story here, the
    > > corrupt user profile and users files, without touching the other users
    > > files is very suspicious. It's almost like it was done on purpose.

Desktop Icons CD-Rom Microsoft Windows XP