RIS and error during boot from floppy disk

Dear friends,

I'm writing you because I have a small problem I can't fix myself. The
problem I encounter comes from deploying Windows XP thru RIS to some
computers.

I have created RIS boot floppy disk (using rfbg.exe), and on some computers
installation went without any problems. But on some computers, when I insert
RIS boot disk into the floppy, I get this error:

<Could not find supported network card. The boot floppy currently supports a
limited set of PCI and CardBus based network cards for use with RIS. Ensure
this system contains one of the supported network cards and try the
operation again>.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

I tried to download new rfbg.exe from http://www.argontechnology.com but the
site is down.

How can I configure RIS to boot without floppy disk (boot from network)?
Should I make some adjustments in Active Directory or somewhere else?

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards
9 answers Last reply
More about error boot floppy disk

    in the rbfg you have some drivers for old network card. (not all old network
    card supported by rpfg.exe ...can you send me the type of your network card??

    i recommend to you ...(dont like this solution) to insert additional network
    card that supported by rbfg.exe only for the installation (after the
    installation just remove your network card) maybe you can use with usb
    network card or any external network card for a easy process

    "John_2001" wrote:

    > Dear friends,
    >

    > I'm writing you because I have a small problem I can't fix myself. The
    > problem I encounter comes from deploying Windows XP thru RIS to some
    > computers.
    >

    > I have created RIS boot floppy disk (using rfbg.exe), and on some computers
    > installation went without any problems. But on some computers, when I insert
    > RIS boot disk into the floppy, I get this error:
    >
    > <Could not find supported network card. The boot floppy currently supports a
    > limited set of PCI and CardBus based network cards for use with RIS. Ensure
    > this system contains one of the supported network cards and try the
    > operation again>.
    >

    > Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
    >
    > I tried to download new rfbg.exe from http://www.argontechnology.com but the
    > site is down.
    >
    > How can I configure RIS to boot without floppy disk (boot from network)?
    > Should I make some adjustments in Active Directory or somewhere else?
    >

    > Thank you for your help!
    >

    > Best Regards

    RBFG does not support USB network cards. You also shouldn't swap NIC's back
    and forth when using RIS, since if the system does not have a valid SMBIOS
    UUID, the MAC becomes the seed. Use the Mac in two systems and you have a
    duplicate UUID in RIS.

    "Haim Lazarovitch" <HaimLazarovitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:BDAD5EA1-B81C-4B57-B1B1-C0828DD2365A@microsoft.com...
    > in the rbfg you have some drivers for old network card. (not all old
    > network
    > card supported by rpfg.exe ...can you send me the type of your network
    > card??
    >
    > i recommend to you ...(dont like this solution) to insert additional
    > network
    > card that supported by rbfg.exe only for the installation (after the
    > installation just remove your network card) maybe you can use with usb
    > network card or any external network card for a easy process
    >
    > "John_2001" wrote:
    >
    >> Dear friends,
    >>

    >> I'm writing you because I have a small problem I can't fix myself. The
    >> problem I encounter comes from deploying Windows XP thru RIS to some
    >> computers.
    >>

    >> I have created RIS boot floppy disk (using rfbg.exe), and on some
    >> computers
    >> installation went without any problems. But on some computers, when I
    >> insert
    >> RIS boot disk into the floppy, I get this error:
    >>
    >> <Could not find supported network card. The boot floppy currently
    >> supports a
    >> limited set of PCI and CardBus based network cards for use with RIS.
    >> Ensure
    >> this system contains one of the supported network cards and try the
    >> operation again>.
    >>

    >> Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
    >>
    >> I tried to download new rfbg.exe from http://www.argontechnology.com but
    >> the
    >> site is down.
    >>
    >> How can I configure RIS to boot without floppy disk (boot from network)?
    >> Should I make some adjustments in Active Directory or somewhere else?
    >>

    >> Thank you for your help!
    >>

    >> Best Regards

    Do the systems you are using support PXE natively? If not, you have to use
    the boot floppy (RBF) or the floppy from Argon (which I can get to at the
    present time).

    "John_2001" <John.2001@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear friends,
    >

    > I'm writing you because I have a small problem I can't fix myself. The
    > problem I encounter comes from deploying Windows XP thru RIS to some
    > computers.
    >

    > I have created RIS boot floppy disk (using rfbg.exe), and on some
    > computers installation went without any problems. But on some computers,
    > when I insert RIS boot disk into the floppy, I get this error:
    >
    > <Could not find supported network card. The boot floppy currently supports
    > a limited set of PCI and CardBus based network cards for use with RIS.
    > Ensure this system contains one of the supported network cards and try the
    > operation again>.
    >

    > Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?
    >
    > I tried to download new rfbg.exe from http://www.argontechnology.com but
    > the site is down.
    >
    > How can I configure RIS to boot without floppy disk (boot from network)?
    > Should I make some adjustments in Active Directory or somewhere else?
    >

    > Thank you for your help!
    >

    > Best Regards

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Haim Lazarovitch" <HaimLazarovitch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:BDAD5EA1-B81C-4B57-B1B1-C0828DD2365A@microsoft.com...
    > in the rbfg you have some drivers for old network card. (not all old
    > network
    > card supported by rpfg.exe ...can you send me the type of your network
    > card??

    I have trouble with two models of NIC:
    - SIS 900 based PCI (onboard)
    - Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated Controller (onboard Dell Latitude D400)

    > i recommend to you ...(dont like this solution) to insert additional
    > network
    > card that supported by rbfg.exe only for the installation (after the
    > installation just remove your network card) maybe you can use with usb
    > network card or any external network card for a easy process

    This could be hard to do, because the NIC with witch it doesn't work is
    intagrated onboard, and in one case I don't use standard desktop PC but
    Laptop (Dell D400)
    You also said that sometimes there could be problems with old NICs. I had
    problems with NIC which are onboard on motherboards old less than the year.

    Best regards!
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "WM" <newsgroups@getwired.com> wrote in message
    > Do the systems you are using support PXE natively? If not, you have to use
    > the boot floppy (RBF) or the floppy from Argon (which I can get to at the
    > present time).

    Can you please tell me how can I check does the system I use support PXE
    natively?
    Can you please make an image of that floppy and mail it to me, or give me
    some alternative location from where I could download it?

    Best regards!
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Two ways - check the BIOS and look for a boot from network option, or ping
    the system vendor to ask. Most business PC's built in the last 3-4 years
    should support PXE.

    http://www.argontechnology.com/ and http://www.emboot.com/ are the two
    companies which make PXE boot floppies - but require registration or money
    to use...

    > "WM" <newsgroups@getwired.com> wrote in message
    >> Do the systems you are using support PXE natively? If not, you have to
    >> use the boot floppy (RBF) or the floppy from Argon (which I can get to at
    >> the present time).
    >
    > Can you please tell me how can I check does the system I use support PXE
    > natively?
    > Can you please make an image of that floppy and mail it to me, or give me
    > some alternative location from where I could download it?
    >
    > Best regards!

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi

    As has been mentioned the easiest way to deploy a ris image is se the
    pxe boot rom on the NIC which i am sure it will have the broadcom nic i
    have in my notebook works

    all you need to do is add the driver for your nic to the ris image and
    the bob is your preverable uncle

    there are several kb articles on this - see my other post on the
    subject

    if you are using windows 2003 there is an inherrant fault with the
    binlsvc.dll whcih causes the error when you boot from the pxe rom
    stating the image has not got the right nic drivers - this is solved by
    sp1 or a hotfix from product support

    if you have any probs let me know as i have implemented htis and have
    fallen into all the pitfalls!! it drove me nuts for weeks until ms
    actually found the error with the dll and fixed cus i had everything
    setup right and it was the dll casuing the no drivers error

    check these links for info on creating the folder structure in the ris
    image and referncing their location in the .sif file

    Error Message: The Operating System Image You Selected Does Not Contain
    the Necessary Drivers...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/246184/EN-US/

    The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
    drivers for your network adapter" error message during the text-mode
    part of Setup when you deploy an operating system image by using RIS
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823658

    those two articles should sort you out, i have never used the boot
    floppy method so dont knwo if it is possible to add oem drivers to the
    disk but if not my solution definatley works

    Regards

    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Yes, that is the easiest way, but no, not every machine has a PXE compatible
    NIC and BIOS, that is why the RBFG was created to begin with.

    "pscyime" <pscyime.1rrj9p@> wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > As has been mentioned the easiest way to deploy a ris image is se the
    > pxe boot rom on the NIC which i am sure it will have the broadcom nic i
    > have in my notebook works
    >
    > all you need to do is add the driver for your nic to the ris image and
    > the bob is your preverable uncle
    >
    > there are several kb articles on this - see my other post on the
    > subject
    >
    > if you are using windows 2003 there is an inherrant fault with the
    > binlsvc.dll whcih causes the error when you boot from the pxe rom
    > stating the image has not got the right nic drivers - this is solved by
    > sp1 or a hotfix from product support
    >
    > if you have any probs let me know as i have implemented htis and have
    > fallen into all the pitfalls!! it drove me nuts for weeks until ms
    > actually found the error with the dll and fixed cus i had everything
    > setup right and it was the dll casuing the no drivers error
    >
    > check these links for info on creating the folder structure in the ris
    > image and referncing their location in the .sif file
    >
    > Error Message: The Operating System Image You Selected Does Not Contain
    > the Necessary Drivers...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/246184/EN-US/
    >
    > The operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary
    > drivers for your network adapter" error message during the text-mode
    > part of Setup when you deploy an operating system image by using RIS
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823658
    >
    > those two articles should sort you out, i have never used the boot
    > floppy method so dont knwo if it is possible to add oem drivers to the
    > disk but if not my solution definatley works
    >
    > Regards

    > pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi

    Thankyou I didnt realise every NIC didnt have a PXE rom ......;-) I had
    always wondered what that floppy was for, thankyou for your insight

    pscyimePosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access

Floppy Disk Computers Boot Windows