GURU help needed 4 rollout issue

Okay.. here's my problem..

We have Windows 2000 Pro. systems about 1000 of them. NOW I can take a
system say a Dell I can ghost the original hard drive, and put it in back in
the dell if it is about to ' go south for the winter ' .. HOWEVER .. I can
not seem to take a Cloned Hard Drive and put it into a Different MODEL type
of machine. eg; say a dell into a ibm or compaq ..
the deal here is. we are rolling out replacment systems. and personally I
don't want to reimage everyones system, and backup and restore data, and
install software. I want to be able to clone the old hard drive from say a
D315 Compaq and put the cloned drive back into the new pc which is a HP 5100
and have it work? BUT doesn't appear to work? gives an error.
NOW I know the video and sound drivers and MB options may be different. but
do I need to remove certain things from the device manager on the old hdd
before I clone it, to make this work?? ANY HELP at all on making this job go
10 times faster would greatly be appreciated ..
thanks guys.. and gals..

compu wrote:
> Okay.. here's my problem..
>
> We have Windows 2000 Pro. systems about 1000 of them. NOW I can take a
> system say a Dell I can ghost the original hard drive, and put it in back in
> the dell if it is about to ' go south for the winter ' .. HOWEVER .. I can
> not seem to take a Cloned Hard Drive and put it into a Different MODEL type
> of machine. eg; say a dell into a ibm or compaq ..

No, of course not.

Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before
starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old
one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

> the deal here is. we are rolling out replacment systems. and personally I
> don't want to reimage everyones system, and backup and restore data, and
> install software. I want to be able to clone the old hard drive from say a
> D315 Compaq and put the cloned drive back into the new pc which is a HP 5100
> and have it work? BUT doesn't appear to work? gives an error.

Correct. This is normal.

> NOW I know the video and sound drivers and MB options may be different. but
> do I need to remove certain things from the device manager on the old hdd
> before I clone it, to make this work??

As noted above, you'll need to perform, at the very least, a repair
installation.

> ANY HELP at all on making this job go
> 10 times faster would greatly be appreciated ..
> thanks guys.. and gals..

Ask your IT department. They should have someone with a little
experience supporting Win2K.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Hi Compu,

This is why I use deployment over the network instead of imaging. I also
look after a wide range of Dell boxes. What I did was create an
integrated build of Win2k SP4 on a network share. I then create a
subfolder for all PnP drivers for different types of hardware and supply
a long path string in the Unattend.txt file to point to these drivers.

I then use FDISK to get rid of XP as soon as possible (to avoid
vomiting), partition and format the hard-drive to 4k boundaries using
FreeDOS hatch script, then run real-mode WinNT.exe

This is explained in detail in the Win2k deployment guide which I
believe is on the CD, or if you have the resource kit, there's a copy in
there too.

There's are pros/cons between network build / CD build / imaging, but
one big advantage of network build is that you can keep up with hardware
changes.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Ask your IT department. They should have someone with a little
> experience supporting Win2K.

Hehe:)

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

"compu" <compubyte0471@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Okay.. here's my problem..
>
> We have Windows 2000 Pro. systems about 1000 of them. NOW I can
> take a system say a Dell I can ghost the original hard drive, and
> put it in back in the dell if it is about to ' go south for the
> winter ' .. HOWEVER .. I can not seem to take a Cloned Hard Drive
> and put it into a Different MODEL type of machine. eg; say a dell
> into a ibm or compaq .. the deal here is. we are rolling out
> replacment systems. and personally I don't want to reimage
> everyones system, and backup and restore data, and install
> software. I want to be able to clone the old hard drive from say a
> D315 Compaq and put the cloned drive back into the new pc which is
> a HP 5100 and have it work? BUT doesn't appear to work? gives an
> error. NOW I know the video and sound drivers and MB options may
> be different. but do I need to remove certain things from the
> device manager on the old hdd before I clone it, to make this
> work?? ANY HELP at all on making this job go 10 times faster would
> greatly be appreciated .. thanks guys.. and gals..

Check out the July 30th entry on my blog:

http://aleinsstechtips.blogspot.com/

If you sysprep the image, force an APCI HAL in the sysprep.inf and have
an entry in [SysprepMassStorage] for each computer you MAY be able to
get away with getting it into Windows. Then you would just have to
load drivers for whatever is missing.

Adam