GURU help needed 4 rollout issue

Okay.. here's my problem..

We have Windows 2000 Pro. systems about 1000 of them. NOW I can take a
system say a Dell I can ghost the original hard drive, and put it in back in
the dell if it is about to ' go south for the winter ' .. HOWEVER .. I can
not seem to take a Cloned Hard Drive and put it into a Different MODEL type
of machine. eg; say a dell into a ibm or compaq ..
the deal here is. we are rolling out replacment systems. and personally I
don't want to reimage everyones system, and backup and restore data, and
install software. I want to be able to clone the old hard drive from say a
D315 Compaq and put the cloned drive back into the new pc which is a HP 5100
and have it work? BUT doesn't appear to work? gives an error.
NOW I know the video and sound drivers and MB options may be different. but
do I need to remove certain things from the device manager on the old hdd
before I clone it, to make this work?? ANY HELP at all on making this job go
10 times faster would greatly be appreciated ..
thanks guys.. and gals..
4 answers Last reply
More about guru needed rollout issue

    compu wrote:
    > Okay.. here's my problem..
    >
    > We have Windows 2000 Pro. systems about 1000 of them. NOW I can take a
    > system say a Dell I can ghost the original hard drive, and put it in back in
    > the dell if it is about to ' go south for the winter ' .. HOWEVER .. I can
    > not seem to take a Cloned Hard Drive and put it into a Different MODEL type
    > of machine. eg; say a dell into a ibm or compaq ..

    No, of course not.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations and
    licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before
    starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old
    one (same chipset, IDE/SCSI controllers, etc), you'll most likely need
    to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very
    least (and don't forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent
    hot fixes):

    How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

    What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

    If that fails:

    How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different Hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q249694

    > the deal here is. we are rolling out replacment systems. and personally I
    > don't want to reimage everyones system, and backup and restore data, and
    > install software. I want to be able to clone the old hard drive from say a
    > D315 Compaq and put the cloned drive back into the new pc which is a HP 5100
    > and have it work? BUT doesn't appear to work? gives an error.

    Correct. This is normal.

    > NOW I know the video and sound drivers and MB options may be different. but
    > do I need to remove certain things from the device manager on the old hdd
    > before I clone it, to make this work??

    As noted above, you'll need to perform, at the very least, a repair
    installation.

    > ANY HELP at all on making this job go
    > 10 times faster would greatly be appreciated ..
    > thanks guys.. and gals..

    Ask your IT department. They should have someone with a little
    experience supporting Win2K.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Compu,

    This is why I use deployment over the network instead of imaging. I also
    look after a wide range of Dell boxes. What I did was create an
    integrated build of Win2k SP4 on a network share. I then create a
    subfolder for all PnP drivers for different types of hardware and supply
    a long path string in the Unattend.txt file to point to these drivers.

    I then use FDISK to get rid of XP as soon as possible (to avoid
    vomiting), partition and format the hard-drive to 4k boundaries using
    FreeDOS hatch script, then run real-mode WinNT.exe

    This is explained in detail in the Win2k deployment guide which I
    believe is on the CD, or if you have the resource kit, there's a copy in
    there too.

    There's are pros/cons between network build / CD build / imaging, but
    one big advantage of network build is that you can keep up with hardware
    changes.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Bruce Chambers wrote:

    > Ask your IT department. They should have someone with a little
    > experience supporting Win2K.

    Hehe:)

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "compu" <compubyte0471@hotmail.com> wrote in

    > Okay.. here's my problem..
    >
    > We have Windows 2000 Pro. systems about 1000 of them. NOW I can
    > take a system say a Dell I can ghost the original hard drive, and
    > put it in back in the dell if it is about to ' go south for the
    > winter ' .. HOWEVER .. I can not seem to take a Cloned Hard Drive
    > and put it into a Different MODEL type of machine. eg; say a dell
    > into a ibm or compaq .. the deal here is. we are rolling out
    > replacment systems. and personally I don't want to reimage
    > everyones system, and backup and restore data, and install
    > software. I want to be able to clone the old hard drive from say a
    > D315 Compaq and put the cloned drive back into the new pc which is
    > a HP 5100 and have it work? BUT doesn't appear to work? gives an
    > error. NOW I know the video and sound drivers and MB options may
    > be different. but do I need to remove certain things from the
    > device manager on the old hdd before I clone it, to make this
    > work?? ANY HELP at all on making this job go 10 times faster would
    > greatly be appreciated .. thanks guys.. and gals..

    Check out the July 30th entry on my blog:

    http://aleinsstechtips.blogspot.com/

    If you sysprep the image, force an APCI HAL in the sysprep.inf and have
    an entry in [SysprepMassStorage] for each computer you MAY be able to
    get away with getting it into Windows. Then you would just have to
    load drivers for whatever is missing.

    Adam

Hard Drives Windows