Sign in with
Your question

how much will a workstation card improve rendering?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 17, 2007 2:23:25 PM

well the titles really vague but hopefully got your attention!
anyway how much will a workstation grfx card actually improve redering? i.e does the card takeover the job of rendering from the CPU?
current system:
athalon 3500+
Asrock Dual SATA2
2Gb RAM
7900GT OC from 450/1.32(?) to 550/1.52

I have started to use Maya for rendering and was wondering how much a Quadro Fx2000 (which i managed to get my hands on) would improve rendering speed. also would it allow me to use hardware rendering? manta ray etc?
March 17, 2007 3:05:48 PM

I dont know the answer, but im guessing that if that quadro is the redering card equivalent to the 7900, that it is better at rendering, sicne it is made for that.
I belive it jsut has more memory, is not really as speedy, and is more stable.

not sure though, would liek to have this question answered as well.
March 17, 2007 4:01:15 PM

I will not at all.
It will improve your viewport rendering but not your rendering with the scanline renderer or mental ray.

Nvidia has developed the Gelato renderer and it's a renderer that uses the graphic card to do the randering. (actualy the GPU is used like a co-processor)

Mental ray and vray don use your graphic card to render the image

*edit

Try Gelato download it from nvidia ang give it a try. I dont know if it's any good or if it can compare to mental ray and I doubt it.
If you want to speed up rendering get an athlon x2. or a whole bounch in a render farm :D 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 17, 2007 6:07:07 PM

Second what NaDa said, the final render won't be affected for Maya. There's very few programs (like Gelato) that use it as a co-processor and really future programs will be looking for cards more like the G80 and R600 which are more GPGPU oriented.

IMO get a G8x series card if you're even looking for that possibility in the future for other apps. Most will be close within a few frames for viewport performance.
March 17, 2007 6:27:16 PM

Yeah a lot of people dont realize this kind of 3d work is all cpu horsepower....and so a damn good reason to get a quad core PC.
Apart from gelato as a GPU renderer you might look at GPUTECK(http://www.gputech.com/) ,they make one too , not sure if its only for 3ds max though....(Ah it is)......im hoping this area (GPU rendering) will take off more , I heard the DX10 cards have been made as to be easier to program and work as co processors......
March 18, 2007 10:51:02 AM

so...out of interest what the hell is the actual point to a Quadro? how does hardware rendering in MAYA work then?
March 18, 2007 11:12:07 AM

You said you have the card. I have an idea. Plug it in and tell us how it does. Win-win for all I'd say.
March 18, 2007 11:39:36 AM

I really like this idea because a friend wanted me to build a computer for him and he is all about video editing and what not and he has been looking at this "videoguys" website and I straight up told him that I don't want to give him any miss info but thats what I figured that it was all cpu work. Test it out for us!
March 18, 2007 7:17:27 PM

well i've got a SATA2-DUAL mobo which allows me to use both AGP and PCI-e at the same time.if i could just work out how...though that having beens said i did buy it, when i didnt really mean to (ebay...it seems like a good idea...) and am waiting for it to arrive. that having been said I'm actually going to HK in a week which will delay me testing it.
Also what should i actually test it with? i.e. what programs will benifit? according to pretty much everyone rendering in Maya wont make a bit of difference. but i guess i could have a go with it.
anywho when and if i recive it, it I wont be able to post anything on this for a few weeks.
BTW SockPuppet, i didnt actually buy one....at the time and didnt say anywhere that i did.
March 19, 2007 1:11:07 AM

Quote:
well the titles really vague but hopefully got your attention!
anyway how much will a workstation grfx card actually improve redering? i.e does the card takeover the job of rendering from the CPU?
current system:
athalon 3500+
Asrock Dual SATA2
2Gb RAM
7900GT OC from 450/1.32(?) to 550/1.52

I have started to use Maya for rendering and was wondering how much a Quadro Fx2000 (which i managed to get my hands on) would improve rendering speed. also would it allow me to use hardware rendering? manta ray etc?

Orly?

I'd be interested to see the results of a test with Nvidia's Gelato in action. You didn't mention if you're doing this professionally or for a hobby. Either way, if you're really into modeling it seems worth the little bit of extra cost.
March 19, 2007 9:41:55 AM

whoops...thats embarrassing.. :oops: 
anyway I'm using Maya on my uni course. so i guess that you could say its using it professionally. the annoying thing about gelato is that you have to uninstall Maya then install gelato then reinstall Maya, just kinda annoying. And i think that my uni wants us to exclusively use Maya.
March 19, 2007 9:51:15 AM

i think the quadro can do things like AA- anti aliasing in thehviewport, and perhaps better shaders in viewport - ie reflection and perhaps basic shadows again in viewport.....but please proove me wrong.

smudgee
March 19, 2007 1:06:23 PM

Quote:
according to pretty much everyone rendering in Maya wont make a bit of difference.

A quaddro's main purpose is to help VIEWPORT rendering - speed and quality.

While you're editing your models and animation, a quaddro will make a nice difference.
!