Replace Windows 2000 DC

I'm in the mist of planning the replacemnet of an old Windows 2000 DC with a
New server running windows 2000 which will be a DC controller as well. This
old server hosted all of our operation master roles, was a global catalog
server as well. The new server must also have the same name as the old
server because all the users drive mapping refer to this server as will as a
whole bunch of programs company wide. The first thing I believe i have to do
is move all the operation master roles to another DC in the active directory
structure. If this is correct how do i do this. The second thing I would
have to do is make another server a global catalog server while I build the
new DC. Demote the old server to a member server. Change the older servers
name. Remove the old server's DC name from AD. Bring up the new DC with the
old server's name. Am I on the right path here. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thansk,
George
5 answers Last reply
More about replace windows 2000

    Hi George,

    Yes, you are on the right path and your plan seems quite good. :)

    One kind reminder is please perform a full backup on the orignal server and
    perform the replace steps during non-business time. I would like to
    provided the following steps for your reference:

    NOTE: I call the original server is Server 1, two new servers NewSrv1 and
    NewSrv2. I assume you want to use NewSrv1 to replace Server1

    1. Add NewSrv2 to the current domain and promote it to be an additional DC
    for Server1; install AD-integrated DNS on NewSrv2. During this period, AD
    and DNS information will be automatically replicated to NewSrv2.

    2. Transfer FSMO role from Server1 to NewSrv2.
    3. Backup Server1 to a tape in case you need to restore the system to
    Server1.
    4. Demote Server1 and then take it offline.
    5. Run NewSrv2 for a period of time for test to make sure there is no
    problem.
    6. On machine NewSrv1, change computer name from NewSrv1 to Server1, change
    the IP and then add NewSrv1 to the network.
    7. Promote it to be an additional DC for NewSrv2; install AD-integrated DNS
    on Server1. During this period, AD and DNS information will be
    automatically replicated to Server1.

    8. Transfer FSMO role from NewSrv2 to Server1

    You now use NewSrv1 to replace Server1, AD and DNS information have been
    seamlessly migrated to the new hardware. This method is more secure and
    smooth.

    HTH!

    Best Regards,

    Rebecca Chen

    MCSE, MCDBA
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
    support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
    Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

    This and other support options are available here:

    BCPS:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469

    Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

    --------------------
    <georgedschneider@news.postalias>
    >Subject: Replace Windows 2000 DC
    >Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 07:45:03 -0700
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
    >
    >I'm in the mist of planning the replacemnet of an old Windows 2000 DC with
    >New server running windows 2000 which will be a DC controller as well.
    This
    >old server hosted all of our operation master roles, was a global catalog
    >server as well. The new server must also have the same name as the old
    >server because all the users drive mapping refer to this server as will as
    >whole bunch of programs company wide. The first thing I believe i have to
    do
    >is move all the operation master roles to another DC in the active
    directory
    >structure. If this is correct how do i do this. The second thing I would
    >have to do is make another server a global catalog server while I build
    the
    >new DC. Demote the old server to a member server. Change the older
    servers
    >name. Remove the old server's DC name from AD. Bring up the new DC with
    the
    >old server's name. Am I on the right path here. Any help would be
    greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thansk,
    >George

    Thanks for the advice. NewSrv2 is an existing DC at this location. So in
    this case I would just transfer the roles and then proceed as planned. Also
    Newsrv2 is runnign DHCP. How can I transfer DHCP from this server to Newsrv1.

    Its been a while so correct me if I'm wrong on this.
    The five FSMO
    1)Schema Master
    2)Domain Naming Master
    3) Infrastructure Master
    4) RID Master
    5) PDC Emulator

    To tansfer RID, PDC, and Infrastructure Master
    -I do this under Activer Directory Users and Computers

    To tansfer Domain Naming
    -User AD Domains and Trusts

    Tansfer Schema Master
    -use the Scmea Active Directory Schema snapin
    -Ibelieve the tool has to be registered from my research

    The advantage of doing a backup of Server1 and then doing a restore on
    NewSrv1 using my backup software is that all the security permissions remain
    intact verses a directed copy across the network losses all security
    information.

    Thanks in advice for your thoughts.

    George

    ""Rebecca Chen [MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]
    > >server as well. The new server must also have the same name as the old
    > >server because all the users drive mapping refer to this server as will as
    > >whole bunch of programs company wide. The first thing I believe i have to
    > do
    > >is move all the operation master roles to another DC in the active
    > directory
    > >structure. If this is correct how do i do this. The second thing I would
    > >have to do is make another server a global catalog server while I build
    > the
    > >new DC. Demote the old server to a member server. Change the older
    > servers
    > >name. Remove the old server's DC name from AD. Bring up the new DC with
    > the
    > >old server's name. Am I on the right path here. Any help would be

    Hi George,

    The steps seem good and correct. A kind remider, if you plan to restore the
    backup set to the NewSrv1, please make sure you backup the Server1 AFTER
    the five FSMO roles have transferred to NewSrv2; otherwise, if you have
    transfer FSMO to NewSrv2 and restore the backup set to NewSrv1, there will
    be two servers hold FSMO roles and will cause expected issues in the
    network.

    In case the NewSrv2 cannot usefully restart after restoring from the
    backup, please use the steps I have provded to perform a clean installation
    of win2k3 server on NewSrv2, promote it to be a DC and installing DNS etc
    to achieve your goal.

    With regards to the DHCP, you can refer to the following article to backup
    and restore DHCP scope:

    Backing up the DHCP database
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/p
    roddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windowsserv/2003/stan
    dard/proddocs/en-us/sag_DHCP_und_DatabaseBackup.asp

    Restoring server data
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/standard/p
    roddocs/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/WindowsServ/2003/stan
    dard/proddocs/en-us/sag_dhcp_tro_RestoringData.asp

    Hope it helps.

    If you have any update or questions, please feel free to post back.

> [...]

    >> >server because all the users drive mapping refer to this server as will
    as
    >> >whole bunch of programs company wide. The first thing I believe i have
    >> do
    >> >is move all the operation master roles to another DC in the active
    >> directory
    >> >structure. If this is correct how do i do this. The second thing I
    would
    >> >have to do is make another server a global catalog server while I build
    >> the
    >> >new DC. Demote the old server to a member server. Change the older
    >> servers
    >> >name. Remove the old server's DC name from AD. Bring up the new DC
    with
    >> the
    >> >old server's name. Am I on the right path here. Any help would be

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Everything went smoothly for the most part. The new DC cann't be browsed to
    by one nT machine and two NT member servers we have on our network. They an
    all ping the server fine. It gives an error that no domain controller could
    be found when attempting to logon but will have to use cashed credentials.
    What would cause this and how can I resolve the situation.

    ""Rebecca Chen [MSFT]"" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
    > >>
    > >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
    > >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
    > >>
    > >> =====================================================
    > >>
    > >> Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
    > >> support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    > >> situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to
    > all
    > >> Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.
    > >>
    > >> This and other support options are available here:
    > >>
    > >> BCPS:
    > >>
    > https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    > >>
    > >> Others:
    > https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/
    > >>
    > >> If you are outside the United States, please visit our International

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi George,

    I understand the NT machine cannot logon to the new server. However, it's
    better to post them separately from you original plan. On other hand, winNT
    is out of its lifecycle. I suggest you post it to win2000.networking
    newsgroup to and NT group to get more information from other partners or
    MVP.

    For your reference, if you raise the domain function level to win2k native
    mode, all BDC cannot contact the win2k DC. You need to upgrade NT BDC to
    win2k server. However, NT workstation should contact the win2k server.

    In addition, keep the win2k server update to date, install SP4 and roll up
    1 for SP4. Installing DSCLIENT on the down-level clients to check the
    status.

    How to enable Windows 98/ME/NT clients to logon to Windows 2003 based
    Domains
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555038

Windows 2000 Servers Windows