Win2ksvr connect to win2k3svr domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
August 11, 2005 7:52:40 PM

Hello,

we took over a company and they had an win2k svr, here we have a win2k3
domain with an 2k3 standard server and a 2k3 webserver ed., i want to
connect the win2k svr also to the domain, but he refuses to join the domain.

Every time when i try to connect to the domainname within the
networkproperties is says that it could not reach the domain and that it
maybe depends on the DNS.

The win2ksvr has an static ip and can connect to the internet without any
probs.
I can't ping the rest of the network, releasing and renewal of the ip when
using dynamic isnt a problem.

I did connect a WXP system yesterday without any problem..

Thanks if anyone can help me out.....
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:34:34 AM

Hi,

Is the Win2k server set up to be a "member" or is it trying to run it's
own Active Directory?

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

The system is not even a PDC, it was only connected to a workgroup, not a
domain.

The Win2k3 Standard server is setup with win2000 compatible mode.
August 13, 2005 12:33:49 AM

Matthijs wrote:

> The system is not even a PDC, it was only connected to a workgroup, not a
> domain.
>
> The Win2k3 Standard server is setup with win2000 compatible mode.

Have you checked the DNS client settings on the Win2k server? Type
NSLOOKUP at the command prompt of the Win2k server and see what it says.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

> Have you checked the DNS client settings on the Win2k server? Type
> NSLOOKUP at the command prompt of the Win2k server and see what it says.
>
> --
> Gerry Hickman (London UK)

It gives the routers name
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:22:47 PM

Matthijs wrote:

>>Have you checked the DNS client settings on the Win2k server? Type
>>NSLOOKUP at the command prompt of the Win2k server and see what it says.

> It gives the routers name

Maybe you should try configuring Win2k client DNS to point to your
domain controllers IP addresses. I'm assuming you are running DNS on
your DCs so you can take advantage of Dynamic update etc. Then make sure
a host record exists in your DNS for the Win2k server's IP.

Now type NSLOOKUP again - what do you see?

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

Maybe you should try configuring Win2k client DNS to point to your
> domain controllers IP addresses. I'm assuming you are running DNS on your
> DCs so you can take advantage of Dynamic update etc. Then make sure a host
> record exists in your DNS for the Win2k server's IP.
>
> Now type NSLOOKUP again - what do you see?
>
> --
> Gerry Hickman (London UK)

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.201: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 10.0.0.201
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 5:30:37 PM

Hi,

OK, it looks like your DNS is messed up, which kind of makes sense in
the context of the original message you were receiving. Ask your System
Administrator for help setting up the DNS properly then try again.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

Iam the sysadmin and my DNS is double-triple checked and no error messages
in DNS-eventlog.
There is also a host-record in the DNS pointing to the ip.

"Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> OK, it looks like your DNS is messed up, which kind of makes sense in the
> context of the original message you were receiving. Ask your System
> Administrator for help setting up the DNS properly then try again.
>
> Matthijs wrote:
>> Maybe you should try configuring Win2k client DNS to point to your
>>
>>>domain controllers IP addresses. I'm assuming you are running DNS on your
>>>DCs so you can take advantage of Dynamic update etc. Then make sure a
>>>host record exists in your DNS for the Win2k server's IP.
>>>
>>>Now type NSLOOKUP again - what do you see?
>>>
>>>--
>>>Gerry Hickman (London UK)
>>

>> C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup
>> DNS request timed out.
>> timeout was 2 seconds.
>> *** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.201: Timed out
>> *** Default servers are not available
>> Default Server: UnKnown
>> Address: 10.0.0.201
>

> --
> Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:02:54 PM

Hi Matthijs,

Look at what you wrote here:

>>>C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>nslookup
>>>DNS request timed out.
>>> timeout was 2 seconds.
>>>*** Can't find server name for address 10.0.0.201: Timed out
>>>*** Default servers are not available
>>>Default Server: UnKnown
>>>Address: 10.0.0.201

To me, that says your DNS is messed up. It would help if you give the
following information:

1. The IP address of your DNS server. I assume this is the Win2k3
machine? Can you also clarify if this server is set to accept dynamic
updates?

2. The IP address of the Win2k machine

3. The subnet masks of both machines.

4. The default gateways of both machines.

5. The IP address you chose for the Win2k machine's client DNS settings.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
Anonymous

HI

Just started reading this and Gerry is right your DNS is either not working
or you havent got that 2K client pointing at it for DNS. Out of interest can
you ping your DC by name and IP address from the 2K server member(to be)

If what you say is right and DNS is working perfectly for the rest of the 2K3
domain and its clients - ie they are all registering in DNS (or have
manually configured records)and can resolve DNS queries (both internal and
external) then logically the issue has to be this one 2K machine.The only
thing it should need to join the domain is be pointed at a DNS server which
is capable of resolving your AD domain name - ie anyone of your working DNS
servers and use the appropriate user credentials

You say "there is also a host record in the DNS pointing to the IP" - how did
that get there ?( I assume you mean in the 2K3 DNS MMC for your forward
lookup zone supporting your AD domain? also is it the IP of the 2K server
mapped to its DNS name?)was it manually configured because if not then it
must have dynamically registered itself which based on what you say is odd.

Ipconfig /all , netdiag /test:D NS /v - should provide some info along with
what Gerry requested

Also maybe a bit of info about this "router" you mention and what services it
provides DHCP,DNS etc,

HTH

Regards

Simon

Gerry Hickman wrote:
>Hi Matthijs,
>
>> Iam the sysadmin and my DNS is double-triple checked and no error messages
>> in DNS-eventlog.
>> There is also a host-record in the DNS pointing to the ip.

>[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
>
>To me, that says your DNS is messed up. It would help if you give the
>following information:
>
>1. The IP address of your DNS server. I assume this is the Win2k3
>machine? Can you also clarify if this server is set to accept dynamic
>updates?
>
>2. The IP address of the Win2k machine
>
>3. The subnet masks of both machines.
>
>4. The default gateways of both machines.
>
>5. The IP address you chose for the Win2k machine's client DNS settings.

--
Simon Whyley
MCP XP,2Kpro