7600GT/965P-S3 kills my wlan adapter? and more :(

Badmaster

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Hello every1,

I have a REALLY annoying problem.

whenever I start up games recently, my W-LAN Adapter seems to be blocked, as of either connection dropping to 0 (also LAN, not only internet...) or loosing connection to the router completly (it has to reconnect).

I had problems with my Graphics card getting way too hot, crashing the PC, I have "solved" this by putting on a Zalman gpu cooler...

After that I sometimes randomly had problems seeing artifacts on bios boot screen and getting out of range after windows boot animation. This was only happening when I had nvidia drivers installed... I "fixed" this then by DISABLING write combining.

Moreover, the PC sometimes crashes when I leave it running for an extended time. It will simply say Signal out of range on my TFT and once I restart it's fine again.... (windows says to install latest displaz drivers and to disable write combining which I've done already both but it hasn't helped...).

now to fix my new problem of my wlan dropping and occasional out of range I tried the following:
- Upgrade BIOS to F8
- update W-LAN drivers

any HELP would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks in advance!!!

Greetz,

- BM

My system:
FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN (450W) (recommended in the forums here ;-) )
GA-965P-S3 (Rev. 1)
E6300 With Zalman CNPS9700LED
2 x G.SKILL 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) | single channel (yep, gotta switch one stick at some point :) ) G.SKILL
Geforce 7600GT eVGA with Zalman VF-900-Cu (idle: 40C, load ~55C)
D-Link Airplus G DWL-g510 W-Lan adapter (PCI)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 160GB

2 Case Fans (optimal airflow) case link

WinXP SP2 + latest updates/hotfixes whatnot...

Mondoman

Splendid
If you would please list the model numbers of all the other system components, it would help. Please include PS, CPU cooler, case, list any case fans/cooling installed, etc.

Also, if you haven't yet, please run memtest86+ through at least a few complete cycles; if no errors there, run Orthos under Windows for at least 30 minutes or so.

Badmaster

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Not quite :wink:
We still need model numbers for the PS, RAM, hard drive, case. Also, a description of the size of the case fans and where exactly they are mounted.
added :)

air goes from led cooler -> case/CPU (Zalman cooler -> second case cooler @ back of the case blowing air out...

Valerarren

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
This probably won't help, but I once had a problem like this that was solved by moving the adapter to a different pci slot. I think it was simply fact that certain fans would turn on and blow air the wrong way at the adapter when I was playing I game.

Mondoman

Splendid
I don't really understand your description of airflow, but would expect that it's probably not that good if you were having problems with the graphics card before. It would be best to have a 120mm exhaust fan just below the PS, but if only an 80mm fan will fit there, then it should be a fan with good airflow.

Perhaps your wireless LAN card is overheating (I wasn't clear if your wired Ethernet is failing at the same time), or has a driver problem. I had a Linksys PCI wireless card that always had driver problems; you could try a USB wireless adapter instead.

It may also be that your southbridge and/or northbridge are overheating. Better case airflow would help with this.

Badmaster

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
This probably won't help, but I once had a problem like this that was solved by moving the adapter to a different pci slot. I think it was simply fact that certain fans would turn on and blow air the wrong way at the adapter when I was playing I game.
it actually did :D

not sure whether this also solved my system crashes, but definately solved the w-lan problems during 3d apps :D

thanks a lot :)