Strange Problem: Multible Failing PSU's.

foamingpanda

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
Appoximately nine months ago I upgraded my GPU from an Nvidia 4600 to an ATI X1600. When I made this upgrade, I installed an A-power 450 watt PSU. The PC functioned flawlessly for about three months until the PSU blew out one might while I was playing a game on the PC.

I went back to the retailer who sold me the PSU, and they gave me a free 600 watt A-power PSU. That PSU lasted for about five months. It blew out last Wednesday. I returned the 600 watt PSU back to the retailer yesterday, and they were kind enough to give me a better built 650 watt A-power PSU. I hooked it up and my PC functioned well for three hours or so. I left the PC on, and went to bed.

When I woke up, the computer would not turn on. I believe the problem to be another PSU failure, but my room did not smell of smoke (which accompinied the other PSU failures) How can I sure it is a PSU related problem -- the comp worked fine for over three hours.

What could cause these PSU's to burn out in such a rapid succession? Could something else be wrong with my PC?

UPDATE: WHEW, LOL! Well, there is DEFIANATELY something wrong with that PSU that just blew out. After I got done posting, I went back into my room and tried to turn the PSU on for the fifth time today (I had tried earlier today to no success). When I hit the power button, about six inches worth of sparks, a huge EXPLOSION almost, ERRUPTED out of the back fan of the PSU. My arm almost got shocked!

foamingpanda

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
I forgot to mention the devices hooked up to all 3 PSU's when they blew:

DVDR drive
CDR drive
floppy drive
80 gig basic HD
P3 2.4 GhZ processor
Ati 1600X video card

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
BTW, your P3 2.4Ghz must be a P4 2.4Ghz Northwood but even then...

On this site they sell a 400Watt A-Power PSU:

geeks.com

It has a 20+4 ATX connector. It's rated high on 3.3 and 5 Volt which means it an ATX 1.1 PSU that has been 'upgraded' as they claim it to be both ATX1.1 and ATX2.03 compliant. It's on sale for US$10.

If you look at the specifications it says as one of the last things:

"This power supply does not have any regulatory approvals"

To me this means I wouldn't touch that brand with a stick.

That you have blown 3 of them within a year and all of them are more then plenty for the system you use it in tells everything.

That system you post should be able to run troublefree on a Codegen (very cheap brand here in Denmark, Europe) 400Watt model and I wouldn't touch that PSU with a stick either.

Do a last check that nothing is shorted inside the case including on the back of the mainboard and then get a new PSU of some other brand.