Moving XP installation to a new machine

My current (3-year-old) machine is too slow. I plan to buy a stripped down
new one(CPU and case only, if I can manage it) and cannibalize the current
one for parts.

I have XP Pro sp2 installed on the current machine, and don't want to a) pay
for another copy of the operating system or b) carry over the forty-'leven
programs that install themselves on bootup and contribute the the current
machine's pokiness. I still have the original installation disks the vendor
(HP) included with the machine (obviously pre-sp2).

How do I uninstall/reinstall XP from one machine to another? I'm capable of
following instructions, so a pointer to the right article in the knowledge
base would do the trick, but my current searches have not been successful.

I will face similar challenges moving over my MS Office 2003 and Adobe
Creative Suite (both of which do the verification thing), so if there's a
consistent approach to this issue, that would be a help.

TIA.
3 answers Last reply
More about moving installation machine

    Wm. Kritzberg wrote:
    > My current (3-year-old) machine is too slow. I plan to buy a stripped down
    > new one(CPU and case only, if I can manage it) and cannibalize the current
    > one for parts.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    > I have XP Pro sp2 installed on the current machine, and don't want to a) pay
    > for another copy of the operating system or b) carry over the forty-'leven
    > programs that install themselves on bootup and contribute the the current
    > machine's pokiness. I still have the original installation disks the vendor
    > (HP) included with the machine (obviously pre-sp2).

    This is the deal-breaker. Becsue you have an HP OEM installation, you
    cannot move it to another computer. Not only does doing so violate the
    OEM licensing agreement, but the HP OEM License is BIOS-locked to the
    original motherboard. It won't install on another motherboard.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Thanks -- I'll go to the link you recommended. As this moment I'm not sure
    how "in-place" relates to a new machine, but I'm hoping the article will
    explain it. I think I'm OK on the OEM issue, because the machine originally
    came with XP Home and I upgraded to XP Pro which (if I recall correctly --
    I'll have to go dig in some boxes) came on separate disks.

    I have sp2 on another disk, so I'll upgrade after doing the "in-place
    upgrade" you recommend. Thanks

    "Bruce Chambers" wrote:

    > Wm. Kritzberg wrote:
    > > My current (3-year-old) machine is too slow. I plan to buy a stripped down
    > > new one(CPU and case only, if I can manage it) and cannibalize the current
    > > one for parts.
    > >

    > Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    > BIOS-locked to a specific chipset and therefore not transferable to a
    > new motherboard - check yours before starting), unless the new
    > motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same IDE controllers,
    > same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP installation was
    > originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place
    > upgrade) installation, at the very least:
    >
    > How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341
    >
    > The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    > licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    > You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    > you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    > Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    > foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    > is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    > old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    > "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    > reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    > than the Win9x group.
    >
    > As always when undertaking such a significant change, back up any
    > important data before starting.
    >
    > This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    > Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    > 120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    > likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    > been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.
    >

    > > I have XP Pro sp2 installed on the current machine, and don't want to a) pay
    > > for another copy of the operating system or b) carry over the forty-'leven
    > > programs that install themselves on bootup and contribute the the current
    > > machine's pokiness. I still have the original installation disks the vendor
    > > (HP) included with the machine (obviously pre-sp2).
    > >

    > This is the deal-breaker. Becsue you have an HP OEM installation, you
    > cannot move it to another computer. Not only does doing so violate the
    > OEM licensing agreement, but the HP OEM License is BIOS-locked to the
    > original motherboard. It won't install on another motherboard.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    >
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > both at once. - RAH

  3. A full automated prcedure to move winxp from one hardware to another can be found at this link:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/18172527/WinMBoardMig.zip

    It works ONLY on WINXP sp2;

    The soft takes care of things as hal detecting and change; also takes care of adding critical drivers and modify the system registry hive to prepare windows to found all hardware on next boot;

    you can sysprep prior to run this util;

    then you can deploy with one image for any motherboard

    You must run winpe or bart pe on target motherboard with the target disk (with old os on it) installed in the motherboard

    In your case it may require also calling MS and getting new license...

Windows XP Windows