SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
<sarcasm>

I'm building a new gaming rig and could do either 1 10K RPM Twinkie, or do 2x chocolate cupcakes in a RAID-0. Which is better/faster?

Supposedly in the twinkie you get faster access to the cream filling, but the cupcakes deliver more sustained chocolate rate.

So what should I do?

</sarcasm>

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm really getting tired of all the X vs. Y hard drive/RAID threads.

The truthful answer is that no one has the exact answers to these scenarios because no one has tested that particular combination of hard drives/RAIDs against each other.

Here's my opinion on this: If you're in the majority, which is a gamer or general Internet/e-mail user, RAID-0 is probably not worth it to you for speed purposes. A fast single drive (10K Raptor) will probably work better if all you're interested in is speed. If you're really interested in speed and have the money, a single 15K SCSI/SAS drive will be even faster.

If you want some type of data redundancy and protection against a hard drive failure, then RAID-1 or RAID-5 may be an option for you, depending on the importance that the data redundancy has against other factors, like cost and performance.

If you're in a minority of users with certain specific application requirements (video editing, audio editing, DVD authoring, graphics work), then RAID-0 may net you a performance benefit, and whether it's worth it depends on the importance that the performance has against other factors, like cost and risk of data loss.

Please, I don't want this thread to turn into yet another RAID vs. Raptor debate. That subject has been hashed to death in countless other threads, and the general conclusions are what I stated above.

So gamers, do yourself a favor. Get a Raptor, buy a pack of Twinkies, have some cream filling, load BF2, and quit worrying about it.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Personally, I like both, but let's look at it from another perspective:

Both the Twinkie and the cupcake have that great cream filling, but with the cupcake, you also get that delicious chocolate icing!

Cupcakes it is! :)

sandmanwn

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Oh Geez, I just had to read this first thing in the morning.

Now Im soooo hungryyyy. Argh! And all Ive got is a 36GB twinkie beside me.

*heads to kitchen* :arrow:

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
To paraphrase Ernie Hudson's character from Ghostbusters:

"That's one helluva big cupcake!"

1TB for so little $$? Sheesh. Back in '96, I built my own system and used a 1.6GB HDD. The capacity of that one was about double of what the typical computer had back then (about 500-800MBs). The price of that drive was $299. Now This article is saying that I can get a HDD with 1000x the capacity for the same $$? Amazing.

What advances will come out in the next year or two? Perhaps Microsoft will release an OS that's actually worth a damn? :)