Sign in with
Your question

Network Advice

Last response: in Networking
January 2, 2007 9:29:05 AM

Hi all,
I'm new to networking and need some advice to where to go next.

I'm just about to build myself a new gaming pc and need to connect it to the broadband already installed, but am unsure to what hardware is needed, such as cable modem, router etc...

A few people have said wireless is a no-go for games due to random disconnects and slow speeds, is this true?

Also i dont want to have to have a admin computer that always needs to be on so i can use the internet.

Thanks in advance guys, Happy new year! :D 

More about : network advice

Anonymous
January 2, 2007 11:14:49 AM

What tyoe of broadband connection is already installed?

Grumpy
January 2, 2007 3:01:37 PM

Its cable broadband using ntl world, im in the uk by the way.
Related resources
January 2, 2007 4:12:48 PM

What is the speed of your broadband connection?

What is the make and model number of your cable modem?
January 3, 2007 11:15:31 AM

I have a 4mb connection, but i dont have a modem.

The broadband runs through the digital tv set-top box
January 3, 2007 5:04:20 PM

wireless is not good for FP games, lag is to great.

You will need to add a router or switch, depending on the functions of your box, (if you only have 1 port).

As far as the PC you are going to build. You will proably NOT need to add any nic card. Most all MB these day come pre equipted with 1 and some have 2 gig ports.

So what you need to know is does the cablebox have a built in router? or just a single lan port. If built in router is their more than 1 lan port? Is the built in router have a firewall? If firewall and single port you will only need a switch to expand your system. For add security you could use a router.

Your IP address could give you a clue, if 192.168 or 10.10 subnets you have a router. If not you will need a router.
!