Server 2000 RIS Error

Hello.

I am having trouble creating an image using the RIPrep tool and have had no
luck with searching on the internet.

I have installed RIS on a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and believe I have
configured it correctly. Currently it is the only server on the network. It
is the Domain Controller with DHCP and DNS installed and activated. During
the configuration of RIS, it asked for the W2K Pro CD and created a Base
Image. I created a RIS Boot Disk and successfully installed W2K Pro on a
client desktop. I have made some changes to the client such as; Service
Packs, MS updates, screen resolution, etc. I now want to create a copy of
this client for distribution.

From the client I run \\servername\reminst\admin\i386\riprep.exe
The wizard starts up and asks for the name of the RIS server (the RIS server
is already populated). When I click Next I get the following error message
"Missing CD Image on Server - The server to which you chose to replicate this
system does not contain a CD-based image. The version of the CD-based image
on the server must match the version of the system you are attempting to
copy. Select a different server or add a CD-based image to this server."

What have I missed? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in
advance.
1 answer Last reply
More about server 2000 error

    I have followed the directions on the two following webpages:

    Error message when you upload a RIPrep copy of a Windows XP image or of a
    Windows 2000 image to a RIS server

    Windows 2000 Patch: Win2k RIPrep needs to support Win2k SRV, ADS and XP
    client images
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=CDA7F9FC-FE32-4826-A646-D64314178888

    I now have the following error:
    "Missing CD Image on Server - The RIS server to which you are attempting to
    post this installation does not contain the correct CD-based image. The
    version of the CD-based image on the server must match the version of the
    system you are attempting to image [Version 5.0 Build 2195, Language
    English]. Please either select a different RIS server to post this
    installation to or add the corresponding CD-based image to the current RIS
    server."

    Does this mean that you can not install an RIS image, update it with service
    patches and place it back on the server?

    Thanks again,
    Henry

    "Henry" wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I am having trouble creating an image using the RIPrep tool and have had no
    > luck with searching on the internet.
    >
    > I have installed RIS on a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and believe I have
    > configured it correctly. Currently it is the only server on the network. It
    > is the Domain Controller with DHCP and DNS installed and activated. During
    > the configuration of RIS, it asked for the W2K Pro CD and created a Base
    > Image. I created a RIS Boot Disk and successfully installed W2K Pro on a
    > client desktop. I have made some changes to the client such as; Service
    > Packs, MS updates, screen resolution, etc. I now want to create a copy of
    > this client for distribution.
    >
    > From the client I run \\servername\reminst\admin\i386\riprep.exe
    > The wizard starts up and asks for the name of the RIS server (the RIS server
    > is already populated). When I click Next I get the following error message
    > "Missing CD Image on Server - The server to which you chose to replicate this
    > system does not contain a CD-based image. The version of the CD-based image
    > on the server must match the version of the system you are attempting to
    > copy. Select a different server or add a CD-based image to this server."
    >
    > What have I missed? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in
    > advance.

CD-Rom Servers Windows