Server 2000 refusing to install software or drivers

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b \ Driver
September 14, 2005 5:04:05 AM

We have a 2000 server standard setup that has been working perfectly for
ages, but all of a sudden this week has refused to install any new software,
updates or driver files.

There is no error message given the install progress just hangs on startup,
also it refuses to install drivers for veritas backup exec, again with no
errors. I have run chdsk on the drives and they come back OK, even windows
updates refuse to run. I have tried creating a new administrator and logging
in as that but that refuses to create a desktop, just sits there with a blank
blue screen.

The server other than this issue is working perfectly, users have access to
what they need without any issues at all, there is no GPO set to prevent
installation or modification on the admin accounts.

Any help or advice would be greatly Appreciated.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 19, 2005 11:25:37 AM

These articles may help.

http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/st...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Fletch" wrote:
| We have a 2000 server standard setup that has been working perfectly for
| ages, but all of a sudden this week has refused to install any new
software,
| updates or driver files.
|
| There is no error message given the install progress just hangs on
startup,
| also it refuses to install drivers for veritas backup exec, again with no
| errors. I have run chdsk on the drives and they come back OK, even windows
| updates refuse to run. I have tried creating a new administrator and
logging
| in as that but that refuses to create a desktop, just sits there with a
blank
| blue screen.
|
| The server other than this issue is working perfectly, users have access
| what they need without any issues at all, there is no GPO set to prevent
| installation or modification on the admin accounts.
|
| Any help or advice would be greatly Appreciated.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 20, 2005 4:20:03 AM

Thank you Dave this sorted it out a treat.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> These articles may help.
>
> http://nam-en.apc.com/cgi-bin/nam_en.cfg/php/enduser/st...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555386/
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Fletch" wrote:
> | We have a 2000 server standard setup that has been working perfectly for
> | ages, but all of a sudden this week has refused to install any new
> software,
> | updates or driver files.
> |
> | There is no error message given the install progress just hangs on
> startup,
> | also it refuses to install drivers for veritas backup exec, again with no
> | errors. I have run chdsk on the drives and they come back OK, even windows
> | updates refuse to run. I have tried creating a new administrator and
> logging
> | in as that but that refuses to create a desktop, just sits there with a
> blank
> | blue screen.
> |
> | The server other than this issue is working perfectly, users have access
> | what they need without any issues at all, there is no GPO set to prevent
> | installation or modification on the admin accounts.
> |
> | Any help or advice would be greatly Appreciated.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
September 20, 2005 11:32:35 AM

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.