Missing RIS Images?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi,

I've setup a couple of RIS servers over the past 2 - 3 years, each with out
problems. The last server was on a secondary domain controller, which has
now been removed. So yesterday I tried installing it on a domain member
server. The install went fine, however when I tried booting the client PCs I
kept getting an error
PXE-E53 No boot filename received.
After googling this error I found that you had to enter 2 options in the
DHCP scope (66 boot server & 67 bootfile name). Now I never had to do this
on the other RIS installs, why is it different now? Is it because I'm
running RIS on a member server and not a domain controller?
Anyway after configuring these 2 options I found I could PXE boot and get
the RIS setup running. I have created 3 images, one cd based for windows xp,
one cd based for windows 2000, and one windows 2000 riprep image. However
now the problem is that when I boot into the RIS client setup, I am only
being presented with the 2 cd based images, and not the riprep image. I've
read kb289638 on microsoft, however I don't think this is a HAL problem, the
riprep image was created on a dell optiplex gx200 workstation, and is being
RISed to 2 other Dell optiplex gx200 workstations, and all 3 have been
installed using RIS from riprep images in the past when we has RIS on the
domain controller previously.
Anyone have any ideas why I can't see the riprep image? Could it be a
permissions thing? I'm logging on as the same user as I created the images
with!

Any help much appreciated

Ben
2 answers Last reply
More about missing images
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    A RIS image will often be hidden when the HAl is different........ Maybe you
    Riprep'd the image with a \different HAL? Midproduction run change on the
    board? OR (and I have done this) The first one you created the image on had
    ACPI turned off in the bios and therefore used a non acpi HAL......

    Just a few suggestions........ you can always do a clean install on one of
    the problem machines, RipRep it and see what HAL is shows in the SIF file,
    then compare it to the original image.....

    --
    Bruce
    Cedar Hill. Tx

    "Ben" <bjblackmore@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've setup a couple of RIS servers over the past 2 - 3 years, each with
    > out problems. The last server was on a secondary domain controller, which
    > has now been removed. So yesterday I tried installing it on a domain
    > member server. The install went fine, however when I tried booting the
    > client PCs I kept getting an error
    > PXE-E53 No boot filename received.
    > After googling this error I found that you had to enter 2 options in the
    > DHCP scope (66 boot server & 67 bootfile name). Now I never had to do this
    > on the other RIS installs, why is it different now? Is it because I'm
    > running RIS on a member server and not a domain controller?
    > Anyway after configuring these 2 options I found I could PXE boot and get
    > the RIS setup running. I have created 3 images, one cd based for windows
    > xp, one cd based for windows 2000, and one windows 2000 riprep image.
    > However now the problem is that when I boot into the RIS client setup, I
    > am only being presented with the 2 cd based images, and not the riprep
    > image. I've read kb289638 on microsoft, however I don't think this is a
    > HAL problem, the riprep image was created on a dell optiplex gx200
    > workstation, and is being RISed to 2 other Dell optiplex gx200
    > workstations, and all 3 have been installed using RIS from riprep images
    > in the past when we has RIS on the domain controller previously.
    > Anyone have any ideas why I can't see the riprep image? Could it be a
    > permissions thing? I'm logging on as the same user as I created the images
    > with!
    >
    > Any help much appreciated
    >
    > Ben

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hi Bruce,

    Thanks for the reply. I think I figured out what it was, there must have
    been an error in the SIF file. As all the PCs are identical, and have been
    RISed from each other previously, I was 99.9% sure it wasn't a HAL problem.
    So I started up sysprep again on another PC and created another image. When
    I booted the other PCs the image was visible. Copied the riprep.sif file
    from the working image to the non-working image, rebooted the PCs and it was
    visible!
    Strange that it wasn't visible when initially created!

    Cheers

    Ben

    "Bruce Musgrove" <blackhole26removeme@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >A RIS image will often be hidden when the HAl is different........ Maybe
    >you Riprep'd the image with a \different HAL? Midproduction run change on
    >the board? OR (and I have done this) The first one you created the image
    >on had ACPI turned off in the bios and therefore used a non acpi HAL......
    >
    > Just a few suggestions........ you can always do a clean install on one
    > of the problem machines, RipRep it and see what HAL is shows in the SIF
    > file, then compare it to the original image.....
    >
    > --
    > Bruce
    > Cedar Hill. Tx
    > 32.5916391 -96.973325
    >

    > "Ben" <bjblackmore@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've setup a couple of RIS servers over the past 2 - 3 years, each with
    >> out problems. The last server was on a secondary domain controller, which
    >> has now been removed. So yesterday I tried installing it on a domain
    >> member server. The install went fine, however when I tried booting the
    >> client PCs I kept getting an error
    >> PXE-E53 No boot filename received.
    >> After googling this error I found that you had to enter 2 options in the
    >> DHCP scope (66 boot server & 67 bootfile name). Now I never had to do
    >> this on the other RIS installs, why is it different now? Is it because
    >> I'm running RIS on a member server and not a domain controller?
    >> Anyway after configuring these 2 options I found I could PXE boot and get
    >> the RIS setup running. I have created 3 images, one cd based for windows
    >> xp, one cd based for windows 2000, and one windows 2000 riprep image.
    >> However now the problem is that when I boot into the RIS client setup, I
    >> am only being presented with the 2 cd based images, and not the riprep
    >> image. I've read kb289638 on microsoft, however I don't think this is a
    >> HAL problem, the riprep image was created on a dell optiplex gx200
    >> workstation, and is being RISed to 2 other Dell optiplex gx200
    >> workstations, and all 3 have been installed using RIS from riprep images
    >> in the past when we has RIS on the domain controller previously.
    >> Anyone have any ideas why I can't see the riprep image? Could it be a
    >> permissions thing? I'm logging on as the same user as I created the
    >> images with!
    >>
    >> Any help much appreciated
    >>
    >> Ben

Servers Microsoft Domain Controller Windows