troubleshoot wireless card- network works but not ineternet

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Connection
  • Computers
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 2, 2007 2:55:21 PM

My wireless card won't connect to the internet, but connects to the network just fine (I can see the other computers). I tested said card in another computer on the same network and it works just fine. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the interaction between the computer and the card.

Now...this computer that the wireless is in...is my family's PC. I don't use it except when I have to fix it after they mess it up. So who knows what the heck they did to it, but I can't figure it out. The thing is, the wireless internet connection WAS working in this computer, until two days ago.

Any ideas?

More about : troubleshoot wireless card network works ineternet

January 3, 2007 5:29:25 PM

Help me with your setup.

Wireless router to wireless PC?
Connects to router but not internet access. Can see other pc's.

Sounds like either a FW is blocking access.

or Lost the gateway.

See if you can ping yahoo.com, and ping 216.109.112.135, this is yahoo site.

if you can ping yahoo.com, dns and gateway are working as your connection. If 216.109.112.135 works and yahoo.com does not tells me the DNS server is not working, gateway good. If none check firewall, do a ipconfig /all from the cmd window and post results. My guess is Firewall if it was working.
January 4, 2007 3:50:13 PM

Thanks for your response. Wow...I CAN ping yahoo.com and the ip address for yahoo. Still does not work in web browser though. Here are the results of ipconfig:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : (removed)

Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : IEEE 802.11g Wireless Cardbus/PCI
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-F4-F3-2E-82

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.103

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.175.128.46

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 04, 2007 1:55:01 A

M

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 05, 2007 1:55:01 AM
Related resources
January 4, 2007 4:42:56 PM

Well that's a little odd, if your browser does not work. If you can ping you should have no problem unless something has hijacked the application. What are you using for a browser, IE 6 or 7, FF.

I would recommend trying a different browser. Are you using any proxy or filtering applications for access control?

Scan your computer for spyware and adware, it may be infected.
January 4, 2007 4:57:03 PM

Spyware, adware, etc. was my first suspicion so scanning is going on as I type. I am using firefox and ie6 at the moment. Neither work.

I first thought it might have been the cybersitter my mother puts on the computer. So I used hijackthis to disable it, along with some other crap I did not want and/or recognize. Still nothing working. We will see what the scanners come up with. So far a few worms were found by the spyware scanner. Now I have avast running.

One strange thing is on other computers when there is no network connection, firefox will say unable to connect to page, and give you a "try again" button. On this troublesome computer, it just leaves a blank page. Although IE6 still gives the typical cannot connect to server message.
January 5, 2007 7:38:39 PM

Well it still won't work even after I ran the scanner. Perhaps the computer has some virus or worm I can't see that is messing with the connection. Any other ideas?
January 5, 2007 8:25:26 PM

Is it possible that you have the router configured to forward port 80 to a specific machine?
January 5, 2007 8:48:00 PM

Try entering the actual Gateway and DNS in to alternate settings.

To me something is killing the browsers, like the host file has been re-written. Download hoster and view your settings. Can be found from here http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
January 6, 2007 12:11:29 PM

Not to my knowledge. I am the only one who configures the router- and I use WPA so no one should have messed with my settings.

I think the more plausible explanation is something hijacked the application that is not being detected by the spyware and antivirus scans. I will try that host file suggestion and report back here.
!