Product key no longer available

Without getting into a debate over bootlegged software, I have my disc, I
don't have the folder which had the product key. Valid reason, too long to
explain. Is there anyway to replace the corrupt os without having the
product key. I thought I would be slick and chose to repair rather than
completely replace and that got me 3/4 of the way through a repair before
being asked for the product key. Now I can't do anything, I'm stuck at the
enter product key screen with no options. Reboot takes 30 minutes and then
back to the same spot.
5 answers Last reply
More about product longer available

    If you purchased a "Retail Version" of Windows XP, read the following:

    How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    If Windows XP came preinstalled on your computer, you'll have to contact
    the manufacturer of your computer and order a replacement Restore CD.

    If you purchase a Microsoft "OEM Version", you'll have to contact
    the original seller for assistance.

    If none of above is helpful, you'll have to bite the bullet and
    visit a local computer software retailer and purchase a new
    copy of Windows XP. Your Windows XP CD is valueless
    without the Product Key that came with it.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Wilf" wrote:

    | Without getting into a debate over bootlegged software, I have my disc, I
    | don't have the folder which had the product key. Valid reason, too long to
    | explain. Is there anyway to replace the corrupt os without having the
    | product key. I thought I would be slick and chose to repair rather than
    | completely replace and that got me 3/4 of the way through a repair before
    | being asked for the product key. Now I can't do anything, I'm stuck at the
    | enter product key screen with no options. Reboot takes 30 minutes and then
    | back to the same spot.

    At this point there is nothing you can do except put in the product key. Had
    you asked prior to beginning we could have told you how to extract the
    present key from your Windows XP installation. It too late for that now!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Wilf" <Wilf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Without getting into a debate over bootlegged software, I have my disc, I
    > don't have the folder which had the product key. Valid reason, too long
    > explain. Is there anyway to replace the corrupt os without having the
    > product key. I thought I would be slick and chose to repair rather than
    > completely replace and that got me 3/4 of the way through a repair before
    > being asked for the product key. Now I can't do anything, I'm stuck at
    > the
    > enter product key screen with no options. Reboot takes 30 minutes and
    > then
    > back to the same spot.

    "Wilf" <Wilf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Without getting into a debate over bootlegged software, I have my disc, I
    > don't have the folder which had the product key. Valid reason, too long
    > explain. Is there anyway to replace the corrupt os without having the
    > product key. I thought I would be slick and chose to repair rather than
    > completely replace and that got me 3/4 of the way through a repair before
    > being asked for the product key. Now I can't do anything, I'm stuck at
    > the
    > enter product key screen with no options. Reboot takes 30 minutes and
    > then
    > back to the same spot.

    There might still be a way to get your current product key from the system.
    First you need to get a little program called Keyfinder at
    http://www.magicaljellybean.com/ and put it somewhere, even on a floppy if
    you like.
    Now, at the install screen where you're still at hit F10.
    That will open up a command prompt and allow you to fire up this keyfinder
    (like: a:\keyfinder) and write down the key it brings up (if install hasn't
    cleared out the old info already, which would be a bummer :-(( )

    hth

    george

    "Wilf" <Wilf@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Without getting into a debate over bootlegged software, I have my disc, I
    > don't have the folder which had the product key. Valid reason, too long
    > explain. Is there anyway to replace the corrupt os without having the
    > product key. I thought I would be slick and chose to repair rather than
    > completely replace and that got me 3/4 of the way through a repair before
    > being asked for the product key. Now I can't do anything, I'm stuck at
    > the
    > enter product key screen with no options. Reboot takes 30 minutes and
    > then
    > back to the same spot.

    Forgot to mention, alternatively you could google/get RockXP, which tells
    you a whole lot more than just the key for your installed OS.
    Check it out
    :-))

    george

    Wilf wrote:
    > Without getting into a debate over bootlegged software, I have my disc, I
    > don't have the folder which had the product key. Valid reason, too long to
    > explain. Is there anyway to replace the corrupt os without having the
    > product key. I thought I would be slick and chose to repair rather than
    > completely replace and that got me 3/4 of the way through a repair before
    > being asked for the product key. Now I can't do anything, I'm stuck at the
    > enter product key screen with no options. Reboot takes 30 minutes and then
    > back to the same spot.

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." It is not on the installation CD
    in any way, shape, or form. If it was an OEM (factory installed)
    license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to
    the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc
    Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the
    Product Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
    haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably
    of the drive image used at the factory and not your specific Product
    Key; therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not
    be -- used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
    manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
    the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy
    a new license.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: