  • Servers
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 4, 2004 5:52:46 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong news group... Just completed in-place upgrade of
Windows NT server to Win2000 server, added a second, fresh install, of
Windows 2000 server now have 2 domain controllers and 1 old NT BDC. Want to
demote the old win NT BDC to just a member server, then in about 6 months
remove it from the domain completely. It can not be upgraded to Windows
2000. When I did the upgrade I did take the BDC offline and once I was sure
the upgrade was fine added the BDC back into the mix.

More about : removing nt4 bdc windows 2000

Anonymous
April 8, 2004 10:24:33 PM

You can not "demote" a NT 4.0 BDC to a member server. Your only option is to
leave it as is or remove it from the domain. W2K DC's can have the DC
function removed using DCPROMO, but this is not an option in the NT 4.0
scenario.

Advice: Remove the BDC altogether and switch your W2K domain to "native
mode". The BDC is not really helping you if you already have two W2K DC's.

Mr E

"JustMe" <none@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o qUbc.67105$gA5.822426@attbi_s03...
> Sorry if this is the wrong news group... Just completed in-place upgrade
of
> Windows NT server to Win2000 server, added a second, fresh install, of
> Windows 2000 server now have 2 domain controllers and 1 old NT BDC. Want
> demote the old win NT BDC to just a member server, then in about 6 months
> remove it from the domain completely. It can not be upgraded to Windows
> 2000. When I did the upgrade I did take the BDC offline and once I was
sure
> the upgrade was fine added the BDC back into the mix.

April 10, 2004 5:24:00 AM

Thanks - the goal is to remove it... but need to leave it in place for
another 4 months - was hoping to flip the switch before that, but will need
to maintain it service as an sql application server, so the question now
becomes: when the time comes, how does one remove a NT4 BDC from a Windows
2k AD enabled domain. First, it was taken offline before the domain 2000
upgrade and is speaking with the new w2k servers, the OS it also running FAT
on the sys drive. I not been able to fine anything on the Microsoft site
about this process and would also appreciate links or white paper url's on
the subject.