Windows 2000 Running Extremely Slow

Leslie

Hi. My computer that is running Windows 2000 has suddenly
become very slow. It takes forever to boot up and it will
not allow you to change many setting. You click and it
just sits there not responding. I tried to get into disk
cleanup and it wouldn't even run. Do you think it's in
need of a memory upgrade (I checked the hard drive and
there is plenty of space) or do you think it's a virus. I
am also running high speed internet through cable modem.
Help! It's driving me crazy!!!

You can use Task Manager and or Performance Monitor to see what process is
consuming the mem/cpu

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Leslie" wrote:
| Hi. My computer that is running Windows 2000 has suddenly
| become very slow. It takes forever to boot up and it will
| not allow you to change many setting. You click and it
| just sits there not responding. I tried to get into disk
| cleanup and it wouldn't even run. Do you think it's in
| need of a memory upgrade (I checked the hard drive and
| there is plenty of space) or do you think it's a virus. I
| am also running high speed internet through cable modem.
| Help! It's driving me crazy!!!

This may not be relevant to your problem but I will share anyway.

When I came in Monday, all office computers were running at 100%
utilization. We run CA's eTrust antivirus. There was a bug in the software
that was triggered by of all things daylights savings time change. I have to
stop the "inotask" service (net stop inotask), apply the patch, then reboot
the system. This solved the problem.

As mentioned in another post, check task manager to see if any of the
processes running are hogging your CPU. That is the best place to start.

Mr E