Help! First Build Weirding out

JackBNimble

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
I just got all new parts, assembled computer, seemed to run fine. Updated windows, installed video drivers, AVG, mobo drivers, even prince of persia, just to see something nicer than boring screens on something I'd worked hard on.

Today I booted, everything seemed fine until prince of persia started running in slow motion (from the beginning, not randomly started while playing). So I went and started checking things beginning with temps. TAT says 50 cpu0, 45 cpu1. Core temp says 48/45, but Tjunction 100C!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf?

Reinstalled heatsink just in case I'm a tard. Checked by roommate, said it looks fine. (put goop on, spread thin with index card) I'm using paste with silver in it...

I've got:
Gigabyte P965 DS3 Rev 3.3
E4300
G Skill DDR2800
XClio Greatpower 550 Watts
Freetech 6200 w/ Zalman cooler (It'll do until I can find a DX10 I'll like)

Do I need to mess with mobo BIOS? New BIOS?

Stock HS fan kicks on and off intermittently, doesn't run until a few minutes after boot, but later one second on, one off.

Help!!!

I read this forum a good bit, I was advised this was a good combo, that should OC easily. It's my first build, but I'm working with roommates who have built (not OC'd yet) before.

EDIT:
More information, I'm not sure what would be helpful, but more couldn't hurt. I'm affording this by balancing with a ramen diet.

BIOS version 10...
CPU-Z was a few minutes ago saying speed was at 1.8GHz, not down to 1.2 with x6 multi... wtf?
Northbridge is hot to the touch, CPU cooler not so much.

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Whoa whoa, settle down there bud. TJunction 100C is a glitch, not to worry there.

Now breathe............ ;)

Your Coretemp of 45/48 and TAT of 50 is just fine, not to worry. You're good. You heatsink fan going on and off might or might not be an issue. More than likely you have default BIOS settings that optimize your power consumption, so the heatsink might only be kicking in when it needs to. You can turn those things off if you want and have your fan run all the time.

You do have a good combo, and it'll OC just fine. But when you OC, a number of things need to be disabled, such as C1D, SpeedStep, EIST, Virtualization.....these all need to be disabled OR ELSE they'll throttle back your CPU. So this is what *might* be happening....that your CPU is getting throttled and is fighting the BIOS setups. So the first thing you can do is go into BIOS and disabled all that stuff.

Now, the next thing that might be causing the problem is actually very simple. Your graphics card could be overheating. Or it could be drivers. To be honest, the card you're showing is crap, so if it's lagging that could be why....it simply can't get the frames you need. Or overheating. Get Nvidia NTune after you update your drivers and see what the temps are doing. Run a log, then go game. Then check the log after awhile and see what the temps are.

Generally speaking, when a game stutters it's usually:

-crappy graphics card
-defective graphics card
-CPU throttling
-graphics card overheating
-"stuttering" due to CPU process interfering (I had this problem, was being caused by EasyTune. UNINSTALL EASY TUNE, it's garbage, get rid of it)

So, start with BIOS settings. Check graphics temps. Update drivers. Uninstall Easy Tune. Then try other games....if it happens in all games, what are your framerates? Your card might just suck.....a 6200 is pretty brutal to run games, no offense. Your system is great, but your graphics isn't.

Do those things and report back.

JackBNimble

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2007
Bios should be good now. From the second menu these are disabled: HDD smart Capability, Limit CPUID max to 3, No execute memoryprotect, CPU enhanced halt c1e, cpu thermal monitor 2 (TU2), Cpu eist function, full screen logo show. This was as per recommendation onanother forum to disable everything from the "Limit CPUID max to 3" to the last on the second list.

Graphics temps are unavailable. This card has them disabled. They can be enabled on thecard with a BIOS flash, but not an official one. Apparently the card is a slow running 6600 that has been gimped through the bios. No clue why they'd do that, but oh well. So yeah, according to other places, the Freetech 6200 can be flashed with the biosfrom the freetech 6600. I'm not doing that any time soon, though. Four of the pixel pipelines can be enabled though, which might be what I do using rivatuner.

All drivers are updated for card from freetech. Easy tune wasn't ever installed, I think. I dont remember installing it, and its not in Add/Remove programs.

The card is only meant to be a stand-in, reviews on new-egg said it worked fairly well... so I've no clue what's wrong. After reinstalling video drivers it worked with only slight hiccups. After reboot it went back to going in slow motion. Maybe I'm used to MMOs, but does the action in the game actually slowdown when the system slows?

I'm trying to run Prince of Persia now, but A) it's not wanting to start, and 2) when it does, it gets to the main menu, with a rendered background and goes insanely slow. Also, NVIDIA Monitor View isn't showing me anything for gpu, or listing any temperatures.

Mondoman - I'll tryreseating the cpu again tomorrow. I was told to spread the paste in a thin layer. I'll try this method instead.

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Don't bother, your CPU is not overheating. And if it was it wouldn't show symptoms like that. When CPU's overheat the system just shuts down. Skyguy was absolutely correct, there is a problem with your graphics system, or your CPU is throttling.

Try reinstalling your graphics drivers, complete uninstall and reinstall. Disable any 'tweaking' software.

The GF6200 really is an old card, you can't expect much out of it. If you turn all the settings to low and the resolution no more than 1024x768 you might have a shot.