Upgrading CPU questions

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
I may be getting mixed up with replacing mobos here, but if I replace my processor with a superior one, would I have to reinstall Windows?

I've been considering a P4 Cedar Mill budget build and upgrading to C2D/C2Q in the future.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I may be getting mixed up with replacing mobos here, but if I replace my processor with a superior one, would I have to reinstall Windows?

I've been considering a P4 Cedar Mill budget build and upgrading to C2D/C2Q in the future.

Nope. Sometimes if you go from a single-core processor to a dual / quad core processor you'll need to reinstall Windows because it won't see both cores or use them properly.

What is your budget? You seem bent on a C2D, and the E4300 is pretty cheap (ish). AMD has cheaper dual cores right now that can be overclocked like hell and then replaced by a K10 later this year. The X2 3600+, for example, is known to routinely hit 2.8Ghz on stock air (I've even heard of it done at stock volts).

If you truly must get a single core...AMD would also be the better bet. If you must go single core and Intel...just make sure you get a good motherboard that will definitely support C2D/C2Q later. I'm not sure how Hyperthreading relates to Windows seeing dual cores when installed, since a HT processor shows up as two cores.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yes, like ajfink said, there is no reason to go single core nowadays, especialy with these prices. You could start with a PentiumD 805/820, or a X2 3600+, because even the AM2 promises good CPUs now.