Upgrade to W2K From WinMe

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I want to upgrade to Windows2000 from WindowsMe. However,
when I try to install, the option to upgrade is not
available (not able to be selected). Can an upgrade be
done from WindowsMe?

I think the WindowsMe is and update from Windows98, which
was an update from Windows95. If I install a new version
of W2K, it will wipe out all other data (according to the
info in the W2K install process). I don't want to have to
reinstall all previous programs, but still want to upgrade
to W2K. Is this possible?

There was also some sort of option to install W2K on a
different partition of the hard drive. Any suggestions
about this?

Dave

This is not an upgrade. Win 2k came out before Win ME. The only supported
way to go from Win ME to Win 2k is to format and re install.

> There was also some sort of option to install W2K on a
> different partition of the hard drive. Any suggestions
> about this?

This will set up dual booting. Each boot up you will have to choose between
Win 2k and Win ME. In order to use your apps in Win 2k you will have to boot
to Win 2k and install them.

hth

DDS W 2k MVP MCSE