Sign in with
Your question

Why aren't soundcards available in PCIe yet?

Last response: in Components
March 18, 2007 2:33:26 AM

Hey folks.
Well my question is pretty much covered in the subject. Does anyone know why? Or when there might be some? PCIe slots have been available on motherboards for over 2 years now, when the X-fi came out and it was not available in the format I was surprised. Now, there are still no such models. Any ideas?
Thanks.

More about : soundcards pcie

March 18, 2007 3:05:48 AM

I was actually wondering this myself and I figured it out: soundcards don't need the bandwidth that PCI-e can provide so thus you just stick to PCI which is still MORE than enough bandwidth.
March 18, 2007 3:36:18 AM

Cuz soundcards don't need that much bandwith. PCI slot is still good for the mean time. Besides most pc setups are still using basic two speakers, so not much needed for high quality sounds and effect like sorround speakers.
Related resources
March 18, 2007 3:52:02 AM

Well I was just looking for a new mobo, and some of the models that I had my eye on only have one PCI slot - and I need at least 2! That's why I asked about this, cause it's becoming more and more common that there are more PCIe slots than PCI slots on mobos, you'd think that Creative would at least be producing cards in both flavours by now.
March 18, 2007 3:57:01 AM

They can use integrated sound all they like - Creative would be out of business if that was the case though. As for "some cheap pci card", thats exactly my point, why havent they switched to making pcie cards :p 
March 18, 2007 3:59:33 AM

Ive wondered about this a bit.

The reason is that if they did make PCI Express Sound cards they would have to design and produce 2 versions a PCI and a PCI Ex x 1.

They would need two different assembly lines, they would have to account for issues on two seperate platforms and procide support for such.

The cost for supporting such a maneuver would outweigh the benefits: none.

I dont support Creative and its crappy drivers anyhow. Im getting a Bluegears B-enspirer.
March 18, 2007 4:12:44 AM

Well, no matter what sound card I wanted to get, they are all only available in PCI, there are no PCIe models as far as I know, and that's a damn shame. There are so few motherboards that line up to my needs as it is, now I have to ditch the one that seemed most suited to my needs:
http://www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=485...
Only one PCI slot :/  *sigh*
March 18, 2007 4:20:56 AM

Well I'll be damn there's a soundcard for PCI-Express x1 from Asus.

Click Here

Ultra High Fidelity they say but not much support yet. So I guess well should be seeing this before the end of this year. Hopefully.
a c 95 V Motherboard
March 18, 2007 4:25:37 AM

I heard a rumor that there is some noise issue with the PCIe bus. I don't know enough about this, and it seems a little far fetched to me. I blieve that most soundcard makers simply view the PCIe crowd to small to bother with. This will eventually change...
March 18, 2007 4:40:43 AM

It would be nice if there was a PCIe 1x X-Fi; my only PCIe 1x is a Power Color Theater Pro 550, and it's been more than good to me. :D 
March 18, 2007 4:41:34 AM

Motherboard manufacturers and Chipset makers are slowly getting rid of legacy formats and buses. Bearlake chipset is suppposed to start the phase out of PATA connectors and provide more USB and SATA.....so Im sure they are working on an industry time table to wring the maximum income out of the process....if you incrementally change each new chipset then people will upgrade multiple times instead of all at once.... Follow the money ;) 
March 18, 2007 12:26:24 PM

I guess I just don't agree with the big companies if they think that the market for PCIe soundcards isn't there. If I've had PCIe slots for over 2 years, by now I imagine that anyone buying a new comp would go for a PCIe soundcard if they were gonna get one at all, and probably a third to half the people that just want to upgrade their audio experience would get a PCIe card.

Edit - Oh yeah, and nice link for the ASUS card btw. At least one company seems to agree with me!
March 19, 2007 4:21:46 PM

Creative showed off a X-fi PCIe card at CES and i heard that ASUS is coming out with one also. Its just a matter of time. They're probably trying to get them to work with Vista. LOL!
March 19, 2007 6:05:12 PM

"Creative showed off a X-fi PCIe card at CES"

That's exactly the sort of info I hoped to dig up by starting this thread! Thank you for the good news.
March 20, 2007 11:48:22 PM

What these companies need to do is see the profit light and make some PCI-e sound cards so they can sell all of us a new version of what we already have. I have Kind of Blue on record, cd, dvd, SACD, maybe cassette laying around, did I have it on 8 track (those daze are kinda hazy) and now I guess I will buy it on bluray and ...
March 21, 2007 12:02:40 AM

Haha... Well I've only got an Audigy 2, so getting a PCIe X-fi would be quite a substantial upgrade, so it's not always true! I think giving the consumer more choice can only result in more sales at the end of the day.
March 23, 2007 3:47:07 PM

Thanks this might be useful to someone else who comes across this thread, but I had already googled enough to find those two links myself. One thing that I found was interesting is that if you google pci-pcie bridge, there is a company selling a chip that supposedly converts pci signals into pcie ones with ease, and should work with sound card (it explicitly states so in their product pdf). I guess it might not work that great since Creative has had all these problems with the pcie bus!

Or it's really expensive to implement so they need time to make an X-fi that does pcie natively...
March 25, 2007 11:33:31 PM

Yeah unfortunately I want a board with at least one PCIX slot. Which are present only in a couple ASUS boards, but I want a good soundcard, not to use onboard stuff.
March 28, 2007 10:48:26 AM

So, when are we going to see a PCIe version of X-Fi? Anyone know? Or is anyone able to make an educated guess? (Emphasis on the word "educated", there!)
!