Upconverting DVD players - observations and issues (and qu..

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 21, 2004 6:27:03 PM

I recently did an A-B comparison of the Momitsu V880 on my Mits 55" HDTV
using "The Fifth Element" as my reference DVD (this DVD is amazingly clean
and detailed).

I could find no difference between setting the output to 1080i or 480p. The
DVD player was plugged directly into my Denon amp and it goes directly to
the HD input on the Mits. In fact, I actually noticed (or possibly imagined)
a bit of signal degradation in 1080i mode.

Now, on a related topic - when I connected the Momitsu to my Audio Authority
1154 component switcher -> to the Denon -> to the TV and set the player to
1080i, there was visible video distortion. A blurry "waveform" horizontal
line across the middle of the screen and momentary screen freezes and jumps.
I use good cables all around (some Monster, some not, but none of them are
"cheapies"). The 1154 says it has the bandwidth to support HD switching.
Indeed, my 1080i XBox game "MX Unleashed" plays great switching through the
1154.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Shouldn't 1080i mode on the DVD improve the
picture? What is the cause of the glitches when going through 1080i mode
through the switcher.

I thought that running the comparison on the Momitsu would answer a lot of
questions but all it did was create more.

--
Chris

Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em
September 21, 2004 6:27:04 PM

"FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@example.invalid> wrote in message
>I recently did an A-B comparison of the Momitsu V880 on my Mits 55" HDTV
> using "The Fifth Element" as my reference DVD (this DVD is amazingly clean
> and detailed).
>
> I could find no difference between setting the output to 1080i or 480p.
> The
> DVD player was plugged directly into my Denon amp and it goes directly to
> the HD input on the Mits. In fact, I actually noticed (or possibly
> imagined)
> a bit of signal degradation in 1080i mode.
>
> Now, on a related topic - when I connected the Momitsu to my Audio
> Authority
> 1154 component switcher -> to the Denon -> to the TV and set the player to
> 1080i, there was visible video distortion. A blurry "waveform" horizontal
> line across the middle of the screen and momentary screen freezes and
> jumps.
> I use good cables all around (some Monster, some not, but none of them are
> "cheapies"). The 1154 says it has the bandwidth to support HD switching.
> Indeed, my 1080i XBox game "MX Unleashed" plays great switching through
> the
> 1154.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on this? Shouldn't 1080i mode on the DVD improve the
> picture? What is the cause of the glitches when going through 1080i mode
> through the switcher.
>
> I thought that running the comparison on the Momitsu would answer a lot of
> questions but all it did was create more.
>

> --
> Chris
>
> Munged email. To reply by email (each "word" a letter):
> see jay bee are oh oh kay ee [AT] em ess en [DOT] see oh em

Exactly; it is very hardware specific. Many new DTV's have built in
conversion utilities and some do not even display standard 720p or 1080i
scan rates. The Sony LCD rear projection sets are a case in point. I find
that setting the DVD player to interlaced 480i with a DVI input into the set
gives the best picture on those sets.

Many setups I have seen have had the DVD player set to output to a
conventional analog set with the wide DTV set converting it to progressive
wide display; not a good condition at all.

Richard.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 7:28:52 PM

"FlyByKnight" wrote:
>I recently did an A-B comparison of the Momitsu V880 on my Mits 55" HDTV
> using "The Fifth Element" as my reference DVD (this DVD is amazingly clean
> and detailed).
>
> I could find no difference between setting the output to 1080i or 480p.
> The
> DVD player was plugged directly into my Denon amp and it goes directly to
> the HD input on the Mits. In fact, I actually noticed (or possibly
> imagined)
> a bit of signal degradation in 1080i mode.

I don't know about RPTVs, but with my Sony HS20 LCD front projector, the
advantage is in image size projected on a wall as well as picture quality.
The projector's native resolution is 1386 x 788. I use a Bravo D1 DVD
player connected to the HS20 via DVI. With the D1 set to 1080i, the
projector scales the image down to its native resolution and produces a 98"
diagonal image on my wall. If I set the D1 to 720p or 480p the same image
is significantly smaller. The bonus in my case is that with the 98" image,
the picture quality is still fantastic.

borromini
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:52:34 AM

"FlyByKnight" <FlyByKnight@example.invalid> wrote in news:SSW3d.59834
$Bu1.35887@fe53.usenetserver.com:

> I could find no difference between setting the output to 1080i or 480p.

It depends on your TV. For example with my Grand Wega LCD RPTV, I have no
advantage in upconversion because the TV internally up converts to it's
maximum resolution.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)