Sign in with
Your question

CLASSPNP.SYS blue screen

Last response: in Windows 7
July 21, 2011 9:01:06 AM

About two years ago i got a laptop from a friend, we thought it was the hard drive that was failing, and he didnt have the money for a new one. I just dug it out and got a hard drive, hooked it to my main computer (cause its quicker) and fresh installed windows 7 on the new hard drive. Then i put it into the laptop to start it up. Whenever i start it, it says "Starting Windows" then the logo begins to form, and it freezes, then flashes a BSOD for a split second that says "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." Then it reboots. I tried to run the repair, nothing worked. Then i tried going into safe mode. It hangs on CLASSPNP.SYS and then BSOD's showing the same "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer." message. Any ideas whats going on here? Thanks in advance.
a b $ Windows 7
July 21, 2011 4:30:08 PM

When you used your main computer to install windows on the HDD, it installed drivers and such for your PC, NOT the laptop. When you tried to use the HDD to boot the laptop, because there is a completely different motherboard needing different drivers, it blue screens when it loads the desktop motherboard drivers. Always install windows using the hardware you want it to boot from and on.
m
l
July 21, 2011 8:22:21 PM

clarkjd said:
When you used your main computer to install windows on the HDD, it installed drivers and such for your PC, NOT the laptop. When you tried to use the HDD to boot the laptop, because there is a completely different motherboard needing different drivers, it blue screens when it loads the desktop motherboard drivers. Always install windows using the hardware you want it to boot from and on.

Exactly. Throw the OS disc in, format the drive, and install the OS.
m
l
!