all desktop icons disappear

Beginning yesterday, when my boss launches any program ALL desktop icons
disappear. The Start Button, Quick Lauch, toolbar and clock area are that's
visible.
If we right-click on the desktop when the icons are missing nothing
happens... no menu displays. Right click on the toolbar and Start Button
does work.
We can get the icons back using the Show Desktop shortcut in Quick Launch
area. In fact Show Desktop will toggle between all desktop icons being
visible and all missing.
We checked for a stuck Windows key. No change. Any suggestsions? We're
using XP Pro if that matters.
Thanks for any help.
Bobbie
6 answers Last reply
More about desktop icons disappear

    Since it began yesterday, you might try using System Restore to take your
    system back to a time prior to when this began. Start\All
    Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.

    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User
    Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

    "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com> wrote in message
    > Beginning yesterday, when my boss launches any program ALL desktop icons
    > disappear. The Start Button, Quick Lauch, toolbar and clock area are
    > that's visible.
    > If we right-click on the desktop when the icons are missing nothing
    > happens... no menu displays. Right click on the toolbar and Start Button
    > does work.
    > We can get the icons back using the Show Desktop shortcut in Quick Launch
    > area. In fact Show Desktop will toggle between all desktop icons being
    > visible and all missing.
    > We checked for a stuck Windows key. No change. Any suggestsions? We're
    > using XP Pro if that matters.
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Bobbie

    "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com> wrote in message
    > Beginning yesterday, when my boss launches any program ALL desktop icons
    > disappear. The Start Button, Quick Lauch, toolbar and clock area are
    > that's
    > visible.
    > If we right-click on the desktop when the icons are missing nothing
    > happens... no menu displays. Right click on the toolbar and Start Button
    > does work.
    > We can get the icons back using the Show Desktop shortcut in Quick Launch
    > area. In fact Show Desktop will toggle between all desktop icons being
    > visible and all missing.
    > We checked for a stuck Windows key. No change. Any suggestsions? We're
    > using XP Pro if that matters.
    > Thanks for any help.
    > Bobbie

    Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
    Put the Mouse cursor over "Arrange icons by ..."
    Make sure there's a checkmark for "Show desktop icons".

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Right-clicking on the desktop doesn't give a menu... nothing happens.

    I think we'll use System Restore. Was hoping to find the specific problem
    but at this point we're just ready to have it working correctly :)

    Thanks for the suggestion
    Bobbie

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com> wrote in message
    >> Beginning yesterday, when my boss launches any program ALL desktop icons
    >> disappear. The Start Button, Quick Lauch, toolbar and clock area are
    >> that's
    >> visible.
    >> If we right-click on the desktop when the icons are missing nothing
    >> happens... no menu displays. Right click on the toolbar and Start Button
    >> does work.
    >> We can get the icons back using the Show Desktop shortcut in Quick Launch
    >> area. In fact Show Desktop will toggle between all desktop icons being
    >> visible and all missing.
    >> We checked for a stuck Windows key. No change. Any suggestsions? We're
    >> using XP Pro if that matters.
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >> Bobbie
    >
    > Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
    > Put the Mouse cursor over "Arrange icons by ..."
    > Make sure there's a checkmark for "Show desktop icons".
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

    There are so many things that can cause the same issue, if a user has a way
    of getting things back together, it's often better or at least easier to use
    that option than to spend time trying to figure out the specific source.
    Once you get things back together, when you have the time, you can then try
    retracing your steps up to the time things began to go wrong and see if you
    can figure out what happened. Sometimes, you never find it.

    --

    > Right-clicking on the desktop doesn't give a menu... nothing happens.
    >
    > I think we'll use System Restore. Was hoping to find the specific problem
    > but at this point we're just ready to have it working correctly :)
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion
    > Bobbie
    >
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com> wrote in message
    >>> Beginning yesterday, when my boss launches any program ALL desktop icons
    >>> disappear. The Start Button, Quick Lauch, toolbar and clock area are
    >>> that's
    >>> visible.
    >>> If we right-click on the desktop when the icons are missing nothing
    >>> happens... no menu displays. Right click on the toolbar and Start
    >>> Button
    >>> does work.
    >>> We can get the icons back using the Show Desktop shortcut in Quick
    >>> Launch
    >>> area. In fact Show Desktop will toggle between all desktop icons being
    >>> visible and all missing.
    >>> We checked for a stuck Windows key. No change. Any suggestsions? We're
    >>> using XP Pro if that matters.
    >>> Thanks for any help.
    >>> Bobbie
    >>
    >> Right click a blank spot on the desktop.
    >> Put the Mouse cursor over "Arrange icons by ..."
    >> Make sure there's a checkmark for "Show desktop icons".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >> Protect your PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

    System Restore worked great. Thanks for the help
    Bobbie

    > Since it began yesterday, you might try using System Restore to take your
    > system back to a time prior to when this began. Start\All
    > Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
    >
    > --
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >

    > "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com> wrote in message
    >> Beginning yesterday, when my boss launches any program ALL desktop icons
    >> disappear. The Start Button, Quick Lauch, toolbar and clock area are
    >> that's visible.
    >> If we right-click on the desktop when the icons are missing nothing
    >> happens... no menu displays. Right click on the toolbar and Start Button
    >> does work.
    >> We can get the icons back using the Show Desktop shortcut in Quick Launch
    >> area. In fact Show Desktop will toggle between all desktop icons being
    >> visible and all missing.
    >> We checked for a stuck Windows key. No change. Any suggestsions? We're
    >> using XP Pro if that matters.
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >> Bobbie

    You're welcome, Bobbie, glad I could help.

    --

    > System Restore worked great. Thanks for the help
    > Bobbie
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in message
    >> Since it began yesterday, you might try using System Restore to take your
    >> system back to a time prior to when this began. Start\All
    >> Programs\Accessories\System Tools\System Restore.
    >>
    >> --
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol.
    >>
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>

    >> "Bobbie" <zebozette@mailhot.com> wrote in message
    >>> Beginning yesterday, when my boss launches any program ALL desktop icons
    >>> disappear. The Start Button, Quick Lauch, toolbar and clock area are
    >>> that's visible.
    >>> If we right-click on the desktop when the icons are missing nothing
    >>> happens... no menu displays. Right click on the toolbar and Start
    >>> Button does work.
    >>> We can get the icons back using the Show Desktop shortcut in Quick
    >>> Launch area. In fact Show Desktop will toggle between all desktop icons
    >>> being visible and all missing.
    >>> We checked for a stuck Windows key. No change. Any suggestsions? We're
    >>> using XP Pro if that matters.
    >>> Thanks for any help.
    >>> Bobbie

Desktops Desktop Icons Windows XP