Win98 installation on Win2000 installed PC

We need to create a partition on our pC's and install a win98 system that is
necessary for our customer.
We have all PC's with win 2000 installed and correctly configurated.
We would create a partition and in this partition install win 98.
Even if the dual boot at start-up doesn't start we could go beetween the
operation systems with fdisk or other.

We are traying but actually doesn't start windows 2000 and win98.....

Do you know a sequence to realize a result as required very simple?

We heve to make this modification to a lot of PC.

Thank you

It may be possible to install Win98 The boot sector for both OS's must
reside on the System partition C:\ (first primary active partition) Below
assumes that Windows 2000 is installed on the first primary active partition
C:\ and that the partition is formatted fat32.

First create an ERD; Programs|Accessories|System Tools|Backup, then choose
ERD, then if you check the box for "Also backup....", then the reg will also
be backed up to
%windir%\repair\RegBack
leaving the
%windir%\repair\
directory files intact as original installation.

Then install Win98 to second drive. This will regenerate a Win98 boot sector
on the system partition.(also destroys the NT boot sector). If Windows 2000
partition is NTFS then this wont work as Win98 can't write a boot sector to
NTFS. In this case you'll need a third party boot manager.

Then boot the Windows 2000 Setup disks and choose "R" for Repair, then "R"
to use repair process, then "M" for manual repair, choose "Inspect Startup
Environment" and "Inspect Boot Sector" only. This will cause bootsect.dos to
be created from the contents of the Win98 boot sector.

Some background info;
When you dualboot Win9x and Windows 2000; Windows 2000 creates a file named
bootsect.dos; if you select an operating system other than Windows 2000,
NTLDR loads bootsect.dos and passes control to it. The operating system then
starts up as normal, because bootsect.dos contains the boot sector that was
on the primary partition before you installed Windows 2000, hence the need
to go through the steps above to create a bootsect.dos

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"giub" wrote:
| We need to create a partition on our pC's and install a win98 system that
is
| necessary for our customer.
| We have all PC's with win 2000 installed and correctly configurated.
| We would create a partition and in this partition install win 98.
| Even if the dual boot at start-up doesn't start we could go beetween the
| operation systems with fdisk or other.
|
| We are traying but actually doesn't start windows 2000 and win98.....
|
| Do you know a sequence to realize a result as required very simple?
|
| We heve to make this modification to a lot of PC.
|
| Thank you

TRENDING THREADS