Setup Hangs registering components

After upgrading from Win95 to W2K Pro I noticed the Backup
option was not present (to do an Emergency Rescue disk)so
I started W2K Pro Setup again.

What a mistake! The Setup hangs when registering
components (about 30% into registering). Every time I
restart (even in Safe mode) Setup resumes and hangs in the
same place. The Setup log file indicates problems with OLE
components (several).

Any ideas what can I do to:
1) Restart to a W2K desktop?
2) Fix the problem and complete Setup?

I have the W2K Boot disks and I've found a KB article
(Hotfix 828748 for COM+) that describes a similar problem
but is for post SP4. I did originally install SP4 but a
Blue Screen of Death problem forced me to revert to
upgrading a WIN95 setup that had a lot of (upgrade
compatible it seems) software.

Help if you can!

I'm doing a clean install and i'm getting the same
problem! arrghh! very frustrating.

:(

arrghh!!!