Win7 Upgrade

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I have a HP Desktop Computer which had Windows Vista Home Premium OEM installed. I recently upgraded it to run Windows 7 Professional, using a £30 student upgrade copy. According to MS, this upgrade copy is exactly the same as a Win7 Upgrade copy you can purchase from a retailer. I have had a variety of problems with this machine since I bought it about 12 months ago, including 2 hard drive failures and fan failures. Recently, the fan I replaced on the graphics card stopped working. Instead of replacing the graphics card/fan, I thought it would be better to build myself a new computer. Before I spend a lot of money on a new computer, I need to know the following:
1. Can I transfer this copy of Win7 to a new computer?
2. Can I install the OEM Vista (required for upgrade to Win7) on the new computer?
3. Could I re-use the Vista OEM licence, even after upgrading it to Win7?

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

To answer questions:
1. Yes, but you will probably have to end up calling Microsoft just tell them that you were upgrading your computer. (windows 7 story)
2. Yes, it will likely recognize new hardware just call Microsoft, tell them you have it installed on only 1 computer. If they ask why there's a motherboard change, tell the motherboard failed, and you decided to replace the motherboard/processor.(Windows Vista)
3. I dont think you can.

The Vista OEM license is gong to be tied to a specific set of hardware. Activation will likely have to be done via telephone. I have had extreme amounts of trouble with MS activating via telephone....they are taught to suspect everyone of shenanigans. For one reason or another, my son's box after a OS reinstall would not connect to internet. They refused an activation by telephone yet when I fixed the problem, it activated on line no problem.

How lucky you are with your OEM install on the old box will depend on just how many hardware changes exist between the 2 builds. The more parts from the old that you use in the new, the better luck you will have. If you gotta do the phone route, expect to be grilled and hope you get someone in a good mood.