how to diagnose this graphics problem

crazytim77

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
i unplugged a dvd rom without switching the machine off - don't tell me... it was stupid of me. it crashed the pc and from then on it would crash all the time - never stable for more that a couple of minutes.

for months before that happened the fan on my ati 9800pro gpu had been whinning and looked pretty baked. i left it running since it seemed to still be doing its job.

i fixed a new fan to the gpu and the crashing stopped. at the time i noticed the chip on the card looked a bit burnt the surrounding circuits around the chip were a slightly browned.

i am currently having the following issues that i really need to fix:

* running a wireframe maya test, i can only get 25 fps - 1 year before i got 130fps
* i have run with another older card (nvidia FX5600U) and i get the same result

To add a further complication i have recently just installed windows before all this happened.

I need to know how to fix this problem.

I have run sandra engineer 2007 all voltages seem ok.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated - thanks.

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I would suggest that you reformat, uninstall everything except one memory DIMM and the graphics card (and the C: volume) go into BIOS and set the option to run all the diagnostics during POST, boot into windows and install latest drivers, run more diagnostics in Windows for voltage, mem, GPU and then run a few benchies to see if sth brings your system down. Then start re-installing the rest of the hardware one by one to see if sth else is causing the trouble (such as a damaged IDE controller?).
Be patient and good luck.

crazytim77

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Ok, i'm prepared to do this.

can you clarify a couple of things

go into BIOS and set the option to run all the diagnostics during POST

just looked in the user guide but can't seem to find this option - are these diagnostics standard for all BIOS?

gmore diagnostics in Windows for voltage, mem, GPU
is Sandra 2007 ok for this?

eEnz0

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
i had this problem 1 week ago with my x300 ati also..
The videocard is toasted.1 monthe ago I was scoring 200 fps on counter-strike, now... i barely get 40 fps.I teste the videocard with all i found on internet.Everything is ok but the card won't seem to move.Tomorrow i will send it to warranty and get a new one.They said the mem chips are toasted or the controller.Even if i raise the clock from 400 to 500 i get the same fps - 40-50.Nothing to be done but change the card

eEnz0

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
In your case...if you get this problem... try checking agp settings...maybe agp is down if you have two cards and both are acting slowly.
See if fast write and sideband adressing are enabled, see if in BIOS is agp 8 x enabled.

crazytim77

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
but i ran with that older card and still got the same result. i know it was an ancient card but would that not have made a bit of difference?

eEnz0

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Do you have any friend with a pc to try your card on his pc?Try running your card on another mobo.If scores are high than ... your mobo is "tired", Try runnning your pc with different ram, cpu if you have a friend to help you do this.If all remains the same even with different cpu and ram, than i suggest changing your mobo if graphic card works well on another pc

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
If you disable Quick Boot it will run more tests when booting.

If you want to know more about BIOS in general go there http://www.techarp.com/show.aspx?fileID=18 You will surely find stuff that apply to your MB as well.

Sorry, I didn't have time to find a link for diagnostics software, there are several programs out there. Google it or go to a software site like http://www.tucows.com/ or http://www.filehippo.com/ and see if you can find anything useful.

And of course sisoft sandra should be useful.