Your question

P180 wiring

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Front Panel
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2007 9:59:36 AM

So I love my new PC, everything is great, almost...

-My wiring is a mess.
-My fans are too noisy on high (tolerable though).

So I've bought 6 Noctua Ultra Silent 120mm fans (I hear they are good), tomorrow I've got to install them and fix my wiring.

The plan is to put two fans on the front panel, one on the back, one on the top, two on the Scythe Infinity (push/pull). The top fan is currently blowing into the case (default), it would seem to me I should have it blowing out? That way I have two blowing in and two blowing out?

Also does anybody have any simple suggestions for my wiring, I don't want to go through any extreme mods just now, and I don't want to remove the motherboard.

Also, I have a X-Fi platinum with the front panel that use what looks like an IDE cable between them. Is that an IDE cable? I never actually looked close enough to tell if the pins were the same :oops: . If so I suppose I can replace it with a round one?

Thanks in advance for the quick replies, I'll be doing this in about 12 hours so I hope I get some. :wink:

More about : p180 wiring

March 18, 2007 10:14:27 AM

Sounds like you got a good plan with new fans. I hear those are quiet (PUN?) I would think the top fan should blow out; hot air rises? If you can isolate the noisiest fans, try exchanging one by one, and take temp reading as you go, as many as possible.
For simple wire management, try to gather what slack you can and use cable ties. I got a bag of 100 for $6 at Fry's.
That cable does not sounds like a IDE cable, those should have like 40 wires?
March 18, 2007 10:33:26 AM

Quote:
At stock the case should already have the top and rear fans blowing air out of the case.

Yeah I figured, it only makes sense. Maybe someone at the factory screwed up and installed it backwards. I never noticed 'til the other day, but my temps are low, there was no rush to fix it.

alcattle, it sure looks like a 40 pin IDE or floppy ribbon cable. I just didn't match the pins to one to check for sure. It won't be that hard to check, I'm just hoping someone already did for me. :wink:
Related resources
March 18, 2007 10:42:49 AM

This what you are talking about?
Quote:
One AD_Link (26 pin) connector for linking to the X-Fi I/O Console (upgrade option)
March 18, 2007 11:11:07 AM

Quote:
This what you are talking about?One AD_Link (26 pin) connector for linking to the X-Fi I/O Console (upgrade option)

Actually they call it a AD_EXT cable. I did some googling, it appears if I use a 40pin IDE cable with all 40 pins open it will work. It really does look just like a floppy cable. This is the best image of it I can find. Apparently this isn't for sale anymore, I wonder why?

March 18, 2007 11:18:25 AM

link:
Smart Computing Article
The AD_EXT cable, which is used to connect the Platinum Drive to the Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS PCI card, is slightly different from a standard IDE cable.
March 18, 2007 11:29:48 AM

Yeah, apparantly the difference is a normal 40pin IDE cable has blocked holes (one in the middle). I just happen to have a round 40pin floppy cable with no blocked holes. I also have a flat one, I'm gonna check the wires to see if they all go to the same spots and if so give the round one a shot.
March 18, 2007 11:44:59 AM

Yes, it was quite a read and never found a firm answer, a lot of people thinking about the same round cable. GL!
March 18, 2007 11:48:04 AM

Yep, no firm answer. But you should see this thing streached out from front to back of the PC, 1cm below the GPU fan, completely ruining it's airflow. I've gotta do something with it.
March 18, 2007 2:49:59 PM

My P180 Cable Management 101 class:
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

Now, since you don't want to remove the mobo, alot of that stuff won't directly help you. However, notice how alot of the wires are tucked beside the PSU, behind the middle hard drive cage, beside the lower cage, and wrapped up tightly? Before I went crazy with the wiring, the cables came up through the isolation flange and then to everything. That can still be very clean, but use alot of zip ties and try hard to route the wires behind/around/above/below components. It makes a difference. For PSU wires you don't need/use, keep them down in the bottom and coil them and tie/tape them down beside the PSU....no need to clutter the top compartment with unneeded PSU cables.

Whenever there is slack in a wire, pull it tight around something and tie it down. Push the slack into a hard drive cage or behind it. Tie it down. And so forth.

The P180 is a challenge, but if you can get in the "mindset" of hiding wires and tying them down, you can still do a great job without removing the mobo. Don't be afraid to route wires up along the top of your case (for fans) and tie/tape them down. Try to follow straight lines to keep things out of the way. Think like that and you'll do just fine. :) 
March 18, 2007 9:03:33 PM

Thanks for the tips Skyguy, that's pretty much what I was looking for. BTW where did you get that tool tray you have, you linked newegg on that other thread, but I know you didn't order it from them. I haven't seen one on a Canadian site.
March 18, 2007 9:57:47 PM

DUDE!!!

i jsut got one for free from radioshack

its $10, and then there is a $10 Mail in rebate, so its *FREE*

i jsut installed it a little back (my first 5.25 installation) and its a a little hard to pull out, but thats all good, how much would i use it anyway?
nice addition to MY p180

get it.
March 18, 2007 10:12:51 PM

To bad there is no such thing as Radio Shack around here anymore. They all turned into 'The Source'. I have to go there soon anyway though to look for a switch (making a CMOS switch), so I'll see if they have the tool tray while I'm there. I'm doubting it, the store here is so small you can barely turn around, and very little PC supplies.
March 18, 2007 10:41:48 PM

lol, you can still get it shipped?
ehh, thats not rly worth it tho...
im glad i live on the east coast of the cockiest country ever made.
March 19, 2007 8:12:24 AM

Thanks alcattle, but I need a black one. I didn't see one there, but my French sucks.

I'm all done with my wiring job. It looks nice, all the wires are tucked away. It didn't go exactly as planned though.

First, I was only able to use 4 of the Noctua fans. I didn't have a bracket for the second fan on the CPU, so I just have the one mounted to the front side of the heat sink pushing air through the heat sink. I'm not sure if I can fit another on the back even if I did have a bracket. I thought about mounting them on the top and the bottom of the heat sink both blowing upwards trough the heat sink and towards the top exhaust, I can make a bracket somehow.

Also, I thought I could mount a fan at the bottom fron of the case, apparantly not, that's just a vent. I can't install the other fan on the back of the upper hard drive cage because I have hard drives in there.

In the end the case looks clean, and it's quiet, but it's also warmer. The Noctua fans do no push the same amount of air as the Antec tri-cool fans that were in there already. My temps are weirder now, currently at full load CPU 46, Motherboard 45, GPU 47. I used to have cooler motherboard and GPU temps, and a warmer CPU temp, all different by about 5 degrees.

The temp change could be because I installed 2 hard drives in the upper drive cage, and two in the bottom, I used to have them all in the bottom, maybe I should put them all back in the bottom, but the cabling was a nightmare with 4 drives in there trying to keep the wires away from the big middle fan.

I also messed up my soundcard somehow. I did try the round cable, and it seemed to work, but my speakers would sound completely messed up, really quiet and scratchy, had to turn it up all the way to hear anything, however, the headphones plugged into the front panel worked fine. So I put the old cable back in, and got the same result. I was messing around with the speaker jacks on the back of the card and I suddenly got sound, then lost it again. If I wiggle the connections I can sometimes get one set of speakers to work. I dunno what the hell I did, I'll take it out tommorrow and inspect it.
March 19, 2007 8:50:51 AM

Quote:
BLACK

Thanks, I searched there too, couldn't find one.
March 19, 2007 9:11:45 AM

:)  :)  Google is my friend :!: 8) 8O :D  :lol: 
March 19, 2007 9:14:45 AM

Should've tried google, but who knew it would be better than thier own sites search function. 8O
March 19, 2007 9:17:41 AM

I know, I have stuff via Google that Newegg has but no way I could find with having the exact model or such. Pricewatch is also good for scanning general part ranges.
March 19, 2007 5:08:32 PM

Those fans are ASWOME... But they are $20-$25 a piece... Thats more then I spent on BOTH my HDDs.

The plan is to put two fans on the front panel, one on the back, one on the top, two on the Scythe Infinity (push/pull). The top fan is currently blowing into the case (default), it would seem to me I should have it blowing out? That way I have two blowing in and two blowing out?

As for fan placement, the fan on the top should be an exhaust because warm air rises, the fan in the front blowing in, and the fan in the back blowing out. You always want to create a NEGATIVE PRESSURE inside the case. Always have more fans blowing out than in. This ensures a constant air flow and more quickly evacuates the heat.
March 19, 2007 11:05:45 PM

So the sound card is working again (for now). I don't know what happened, but it's something with the speaker jacks. I eventually pulled out all the plugs, plugged the front channel into the wrong jack, got wierd sounds, back to the right jack and it sounds right, plugged in the center and rear and it all worked again.

Now I've gotta take the two HDD's out of the middle cage and put them back in the bottom, I'm sure that's why my temps are way up. I'm just afraid moving the PC will mess up the sound again. :cry: 
March 19, 2007 11:20:27 PM

If you can put all the HDD's in the lower cage, then hook up 2 120mm fans on the middle cage, one for intake from the front, one to push that air over your GPU and CPU HSF. Then 120mm rear exhaust and 120mm top exhaust. Temps should improve.

For the lower cage, pull the wires tight and tuck them behind the back of the HDD cage to keep wires out of the way of the tunnel fan. If at all possible, get a few 90 degree SATA cables......they'll basically run parallel along the drives so you don't have to bend cables.....they're already flush to the drives and far from the fan ;) 
March 20, 2007 8:46:31 AM

Quote:
If you can put all the HDD's in the lower cage, then hook up 2 120mm fans on the middle cage, one for intake from the front, one to push that air over your GPU and CPU HSF. Then 120mm rear exhaust and 120mm top exhaust. Temps should improve.

I put all my HDD's back in the bottom cage, put both fans on the middle cage, my temps are down slightly, but the mobo temo is still above 40C. I'm wondering where the sensor is, maybe I have it covered by a wire or something. Or the heatpipes aren't as effective with the new fans. I was planning on eventually either reseating the heatpipe with better thermal paste or replacing it with an aftermarket solution.

These Noctua Ultra silent fans just don't push as much air as the Antec tri-cool ones did, but they are really quiet. I can't hear them at all, just my GPU fan which rattles a little.

Quote:
For the lower cage, pull the wires tight and tuck them behind the back of the HDD cage to keep wires out of the way of the tunnel fan. If at all possible, get a few 90 degree SATA cables......they'll basically run parallel along the drives so you don't have to bend cables.....they're already flush to the drives and far from the fan ;) 

It's a really tight fit with 4 HDD's in there. What I did was use the two end connectors of two SATA power cables. I had two of those 90 degree angle SATA cables I could use as well. The big problem was the wire loops between the power connectors, they were quitte bulky and I had nowhere to tuck them in, so I taped them back to the HDD cage with electrical tape, I hope it holds.
!