Last response: in CPUs
March 18, 2007 1:26:46 PM

WHat, no benchmarks?

March 18, 2007 2:12:02 PM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

That must be one expensive contact lense
March 18, 2007 5:23:11 PM

It is a thing of beauty, but they better get it back to the Fab so they can finish all the backend processing on it. Why they are pulling the Barcelona wafer out of the fab instead of finishing processing it so they can release a benchmark is beyond me. :lol: 

Great now it will probably be 2008 before we see a benchmark. :cry: 
Related resources
March 18, 2007 5:28:46 PM

hmmm... if they made that into a phreaky multi processor die (as a single package), say... 10k cores or what you can get off that cut, I wonder what kind of HS you'd need fer that? :lol: 
March 18, 2007 5:42:20 PM

Quote:
Dont talk about my new mega monster super multicore cpu like that 8O

got ant ideas on how i plug that whole thing in? 8O

It does not boot up because no DRAM or MegaPSU installed :D 
March 18, 2007 5:43:50 PM

Well, if it was an AMD CPU... and you could get 10k cores of that, I guess it would have to be a 12070000 pin CPU. :lol: 

or Intel on a 775 pin.. umm.. 77500000 socket. :lol: 
March 18, 2007 9:07:07 PM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

No, but they have a picture of the head of AMD advertising displayed proudly beside it.

Let the truth be known. :D  :D  :D 
March 18, 2007 9:13:00 PM

lol (ps the reflection doesn't match)
March 18, 2007 9:14:21 PM

Quote:
Oops. :oops:  :D 
March 18, 2007 9:58:58 PM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

how am i gonna fit that in my case? 8O
March 18, 2007 10:01:10 PM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

They work better if you dice it up and package them.... the wafer, chip in and of itself is meaningless.... all those die could be non-functional for all we know...performance is what counts....

You are asking the right question.

Suspcious that we are only a few months from launch and there is not even a leaked ES that will show any data.....

When were the first Opterons available? I don't remember, but since it takes about 3 months from wafer to chip, I'd guess that the final silicon is halfway there to be ready by June.

Of course you just can't look at AMD like Intel. Intel can have half a fab churning out samples. They do have 12 (of course for different things but.....) and that means they can shift things around.
March 18, 2007 10:02:39 PM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

how am i gonna fit that in my case? 8OThey got it in a Plex-glass/Lexan case. :wink:
March 18, 2007 10:05:06 PM

Quote:
I am working on that 8O

it would look cool with the wafer in the middle of the acrylic case :lol: 
March 18, 2007 10:06:01 PM

Quote:
Oops. :oops:  :D 

that was a good one 8)
March 19, 2007 12:39:13 AM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

Suspcious that we are only a few months from launch and there is not even a leaked ES that will show any data.....

fuinny...heard the same thing prior to the original athlon launch in 99

where is the ES samples

no more like why hasnt anyone broken thier NDA yet
March 19, 2007 1:32:33 AM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

how am i gonna fit that in my case? 8O Im thinking well have to do some serious folding at home just to fit that wafer in our PC'S
March 19, 2007 1:41:00 AM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

where is the ES samples

actually thats a great point.its almost exactly the same. :?
We have a lawsuit
an underperforming chip
stocks depressed and erratic
serious money constraints
Wheres sanders? :? this is his type of ball game.
and we have incredible fp perf news

roll it back to 99 and its all the same except the descriptors.

its almost the identical same setting

now to complete the oracle..... some site will get its hands on ES sample in the next month and it will be underpeforming..and everyone will say the k10 is a bust

then the k10 is released and jaws drop
March 19, 2007 1:41:54 AM

:lol: 
March 19, 2007 1:56:48 AM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

where is the ES samples

Hammer data was made available a year before launch.

That's because they had something to brag about - the lack of anything this close to launch leads me to believe it's either a) going to be another paper launch, or b) far below the performance levels they've been touting...
March 19, 2007 2:18:12 AM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

where is the ES samples

That's because they had something to brag about - the lack of anything this close to launch leads me to believe it's either a) going to be another paper launch, or b) far below the performance levels they've been touting...

Well, we will see how this all pans out in due time.... Fred Weber published Spec2000 data at the Microprocessor forum for Hammer, but we have yet to see any numbers, clock speed, and conditions.

For example, is this SPEC2000 (or now I guess 2006) 40% improvement in FP based on rate or single task, or base or non_base....

The Spec Benchmark can swing heavily to one side depending on how one performs the bench....

It is being kept ambiguous for a reason.... what reason?? Not sure.

Jack

And that's why I'm not believing one iota of "performance data" until we get some real world benchmarks on these things.... :) 

BTW - good stuff in t'other thread (what I was reading before peaking in here).... :D 
March 19, 2007 2:42:32 AM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

where is the ES samples

Well, we will see how this all pans out in due time.... Fred Weber published Spec2000 data at the Microprocessor forum for Hammer, but we have yet to see any numbers, clock speed, and conditions.

For example, is this SPEC2000 (or now I guess 2006) 40% improvement in FP based on rate or single task, or base or non_base....

The Spec Benchmark can swing heavily to one side depending on how one performs the bench....

It is being kept ambiguous for a reason.... what reason?? Not sure.

Jack

And that's why I'm not believing one iota of "performance data" until we get some real world benchmarks on these things.... :) 

BTW - good stuff in t'other thread (what I was reading before peaking in here).... :D  Im in the (hopefull) camp, when R600 comes out, so too will the first showing of Barcelona. Like many have observed, the 8800 GTX requires a top cpu, and if the R600 is even faster, what IS AMD going to showcase their top gpu on?
March 19, 2007 3:28:59 AM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

where is the ES samples

k7 data wasnt available early
k8 data was

there is not pattern to go one way or the other with k10 to draw a conclusion
March 19, 2007 3:57:51 AM

"typically" if we were 3-4 months out from a launch, we would see benchmarks. But there are reasons why we may not.

Back when "Hammer" was first released, AMD basically shot themselves in their own foot with the delay.

AMD patrons are, I think it is fair to say, more market aware than Intel advocates. This is not a "shot" at anybody, but the proverbial "Joe 6 pack" when he walks into BestBuy (sic) has little or no awareness of the actual performance of what he is buying.

Back in the seemingly endless months before Hammer actually got released, AMD fanboys just stopped buying, and they waited months and months for Hammer - and AMD took a huge financial kicking those quarters.

Maybe AMD is just trying to avoid having legions of AMD fans stop buying for several months till K10 get's released? -

AMD is under a lot of financial pressure right now, and a pre-K10 "osbourn effect" drop in sales is something they cannot afford to happen.

This is a plausable theory IMHO, of course K10 being AMD's "Prescott" where they are hiding the benches because the chip is a dog is just as plausable.

The bottom line is we just don't have enough facts. Flipping a coin is as good a prognosticator as any of the other tea leaves we may read.
March 19, 2007 4:54:33 AM

amd must be making them over in germany. because if you look in the picture you will see the german writeing
March 19, 2007 8:35:54 AM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

WOW.... a picture of a wafer to open a thread about it......So where is it? Where is Barcelona?
When I was reading the topic I thought that there were ES samples and benchmarks at CeBit.
March 21, 2007 2:03:07 PM

why the rush... they said it'll be in Q3..I'm not on a hurry!
March 21, 2007 3:23:46 PM

Quote:
WHat, no benchmarks?

where is the ES samples

actually thats a great point.its almost exactly the same. :?
We have a lawsuit
an underperforming chip
stocks depressed and erratic
serious money constraints
Wheres sanders? :? this is his type of ball game.
and we have incredible fp perf news

roll it back to 99 and its all the same except the descriptors.

Vern, Just to throw more fuel on your deja vue fire didn't Jim Cramer prognosticate the demise of AMD as well.
!