Uninstalling 2000 and using recovery disk

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Hi. I have a Compaq 5000 series computer that came with
Windows ME. I recently tried to upgrade to Windows 2000
but after I realized that some of my applications didn't
work. I want to go back to Windows ME. I tried to use
the Emergency Recovery disk that came with my Compaq and
use the Factory Restore option. Nothing happens when I
select that option. The disk pops out and a message
says "press enter when ready." Then Windows 2000
proceeds to load up. What can I do to get the computer
back to the way it was when I purchased it? I want to
format the drive and start over with the original software
which was Windows ME.

Thank-you for your help.
Jason

To wipe the drive, some ways include; boot a win98/ME startup disk, run
fdisk and delete all partition information found (as long as NTFS is
primary). Or boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks and when you get to
the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found, then
abort the install. Or use a utility named delpart. Once removed you can boot
the Win98/ME CD-Rom or restore CD-Rom to start your install. Make sure you
have win9x device drivers available before hand.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt31/i386/reskit.exe

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]