Is this a good CRT monitior?

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I need to pick up a new CRT monitor to go with my new pc, my old one just doesn't cut it anymore. I'm thinking of picking up a SONY/SGI GDM-5411 21", i've heard that it is a good monitor. They are not that easy to find these days but i was able to track some down, is anyone familiar with one of these?

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I already have a 19" LCD which does has it's advantages, but i want to pick up a CRT for gaming, i find that CRT are better for games than LCD, the only downside is that they take up space. I was looking at a few other monitors: IBM P275, Samsung Syncmaster 1100 and Viewsonic G225fb. I'm looking for something that would have 85hz refrsh rate at 1600x1200, it looks like these have that, so i'm trying to figure out which is better.

Seifer

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Got my 24inch here for 200.00$ Max res 2048X1600 @ 85hz...Wait for them to put some new ones on the shelves...Don't get me wrong they are used...However they are in extremely good condition. They also have GREAT warranties mine went out in 2 months. They sent me a new one (didn't need to send old one back either) and I've had it over a year now. Still works like it was brand new...They have very good customer care service and good products and the best part is the PRICES so cheap!!! Used goods but hey its only a monitor...

If you have a local "Computer Goodwill" near you, you can probably pick a good one up for 20$ Thats what my sister did and hers is still running fine, after 4 years...

timehopper

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Thanks for the info, you are talking about Sony/SGI GDM monitors, not the other ones i'm considering, right?I live in NYC and i'm not sure if there are any Computer Goodwill in my area, but i'll check it out. 21" will do fine for me, anything bigger and heavier will be too much for my desk.