Sign in with
Your question

Worth getting a DX10 card yet?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 18, 2007 2:33:52 PM

My plan for quite a while has been to wait for a plethora of DX10 cards comes out before upgrading my GPU, currently the X800XL (which really was a great buy).
Anyway, I have recently been frustrated by how slow Oblivion and Project Reality for BF2 have become on my computer and I would rather like to play F.E.A.R. on full settings with no problems.
This has led me to look at upgrading my rig.

Currently I have:

Mobo: AX8
Ram: Corsair budget stuff soon to be upgraded (different thread)
CPU: AMD 3200+ (not overclocked, I will do this soon though)
GPU: ATI X800XL
PSU: Antec 320 Watt (also trying to find a decent 500+ PSU to replace this)

Anyways, I am considering buying the 8800GTS 320mb version (as I have heard 640mb is near pointless). But I don't want it to immediately become outclassed by the R600 or other cards. Nor do I want the price to fall by £100 quid as those cards are released.

In short, is it worth me buying this card at the moment, is this card likely to be lacking some revolutionary technology that is just around the corner or ultimately fail to run the as yet unreleased DX10 programs of the future?

Also, is it compatible with my to-be rig?

Cheers!

More about : worth dx10 card

March 18, 2007 2:44:19 PM

I own a 8800 gts 320 evga superclocked. Great card i can run Fear on full settings and i mean Everything.

Except softshadows. At 1024x12 with AA and AF. It runs smooth but i have a particular problem as i just got the card and the PSU is only 17A , when i need 26A minimum .

So this i think underclocks the card . So definitly get a good PSU .

Otherwise i am very happy . I just installed the card this weekend.

Fear, Cesar 4, Fifa 07, CoH, ALL THESE games run on full settings :D 

This is a excellent card for the money .

Also my processor is awesome :lol:  AMD 3000+ . So you should be fine :wink:
March 18, 2007 2:49:09 PM

Good to know, I got a bit of a shock when I heard that a 3700 can bottleneck with this card, but I purposely bought my processor to overclock it (I got the Winchester version or which ever one was best at overclocking) but just never got around to doing it.

Now to choose which make I should buy :( 
Related resources
March 18, 2007 2:55:46 PM

*Ahem* Evga :D 

EEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAA

EVGA.COM

stepup program

lifetime warranty :!: :!:

:D 
March 18, 2007 3:48:59 PM

Quote:
lifetime warranty

Yummage! Is it worth getting the superclocked one though? Can't I just do that myself?

Edit:
Which one

BFG 8800GTS OC 320MB DDR3 Dual DVI PCI-E
XFX 8800GTS 320MB DDR3 Dual DVI TVO PCI-E
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB GDDR3 DVI TVO PCI-E

Are there any actual differences?
March 18, 2007 5:50:40 PM

Quote:
Are there any actual differences?

Not really.

Clock speeds might be little different, that's it.

I would also recommend eVGA, step-up program great warranty.
March 18, 2007 11:03:04 PM

Your system looks fine to me personally. I think it'll hold up for another month or 2, graphics wise. But if your in a dire need of one, Ill agree with the rest of them. The 8800GTS 320mb from evga sounds like a good find to me.
March 18, 2007 11:19:27 PM

The eVga 8800GTS should be great for what you're looking for at resolutions lower than 1600x1200.
March 18, 2007 11:49:04 PM

Quote:
Yummage! Is it worth getting the superclocked one though? Can't I just do that myself?

Yes you can do it yourself and save the $$$ that you would waste on the superclocked version.

Download ATI tool, yes ATI tool. Its the best tool to use for OCing the G80's and best of all its free.

I have used it for my 8800GTX's and it works perfect.I like ATI tool's artifact scanner, but I actually prefer to use RivaTuner as I'm more familiar with the software.
March 19, 2007 12:39:48 AM

A couple things to think about and remember. A DX10 card will not play or do any DX10 things until and unless you get Vista. Also, there aren't any DX10 games even if you had Vista.

That said, even if you don't get Vista, a DX10 card will speed up your machine a bunch. I agree with the suggestion of EVGA. I have one of their cards and it does great. The step up plan also lets you upgrade within 3 months without loosing your initial investment.

Waiting until the R600 card comes out may have an advantage by lowering the costs of the Nvidia cards. If nothing else, you might save a bit more money for a better card in the first place. Either direction, you win. Happy gaming.
March 19, 2007 3:30:38 AM

Hmm i have the superclocked version .

I read that the shader are or pipes or something like that is also overclocked .

So how about that :D  woohoo :lol:  sorry i am just a lil excitable :oops: 

but is this right ? Can the other Gurus on this forum agree or impart me some other knowledge .

Thank you :wink:
March 19, 2007 4:23:00 AM

Quote:
(I got the Winchester version or which ever one was best at overclocking) but just never got around to doing it.

And here I am with 130nm's of Newcastle goodness :(  :(  :( 

And I thought Venice was best for overclocking???? I spose you bought yours before Venice was realeased though.
March 19, 2007 4:43:43 AM

I have a venice but a crappy board , bought it during my noob days :oops: 
March 19, 2007 5:42:09 AM

Haha same, my next PC has a few more informed decisions than my last one hehe which got chosen buy the guys at the PC store :roll:
March 19, 2007 8:55:48 AM

One thing you can always be certain of, the longer you wait the cheaper cards will get as new technology will be released.
But waiting isn't an option for many of us =)
Its not worth it getting a DX10 card atm since there is no games supporting it atm.
But if you want the best DX9 card out there, it just happens to be the same cards that supports DX10 =).
I got the BFG 320MB OC'ed version and according to some reviews it will OC quite nicely, damn RobsX2 got me to wanna try it by myself =)
Just building up some courage, hehe
March 19, 2007 3:59:31 PM

Quote:
I have a venice but a crappy board , bought it during my noob days

My board is alright, my PSU is alright too.
It just so happens Antec PSUs and the AX8 board have a unique compatability problem.

"Bloody typical" comes to mind.

I will carry on in the Homebuild forum anyways.
March 19, 2007 4:52:22 PM

I suggest for you to wait a little longer for the rest of nVidia's and ati's dx10 cards to launch.
March 19, 2007 6:20:24 PM

I think I will. I may actually just buy myself a new PSU, overclock my CPU and buy a bit more uber cheap ram.
Should keep me going for a few months. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2007 7:01:15 PM

I think you are too worried about it being outclassed by a new card, which is always going to be the case. Just depends if you want bragging rights or solid gameplay. I can totally understand not wanting to get ripped off or get less for your money if you are planning on holding onto this card for a long time. But If you want to enjoy Fear and Oblivion cranked right now, then buy the best DX9 card available in your price range, (which above $260 in the USA happens to be all DX10 cards).

The 640MB GTS is not pointless, but personally I think the 320MB for $90 less was a better bargain, so I recently bought an evga 320MB version for $260. And I wasn't all too concerned about eVGA's step-up either. it's nice to have as an option, but Crysis and games that may put a lickin' to this GTS won't be out for a while, so who knows what the next upgrade will be. I doubt I'd upgrade within 90 days anyway. And to be honest, I may buy an R600 if the GTS doesn't do well in crysis compared to it (and R600 tops GF89xx in that game), but I'm not all to worried about it. The 320MB GTS is still a great buy IMO, and won't be crushed in any current game for $260 for quite a while.

Anyway, don't misunderstand me, I'm not telling you how to spend your money. I just wanted to add a different opinion/mindset that the 320MB GTS will provide such a better Fear/Oblivion experience for you right now, that worrying about R600 being better is somewhat pointless stress. You'll love the GTS!!!!! and IF IT IS BARGAIN PRICED over there like it is here, grab one and enjoy some nice eye candy right now. Then sell it and buy whatever is best at the time for the games that make you no longer happy with the GTS. Waiting is no problem either though as I also have a X800XL and I know it's capable of playing any game (except a few PS3.0 only ones I have no interest in), including Oblivion. Huge difference though, so it's your money, your gaming time, and your decision. :wink:
March 19, 2007 8:12:15 PM

I will just stick with my current card I think, thanks for the advice Paul.
Nice to see a fellow X800XL user 8)

FEAR is the only game I would consider playing that has PS3.0, so I am not to bothered as yet.
March 19, 2007 8:50:10 PM

I have a question..will the 640MB version of the GTS really have any effect in the future? I mean, do you think games are really going to take advantage over that extra bit of ram later on? I know it's useful or AA and AF along with high resolutions but I just want to know what you think.
March 19, 2007 9:01:02 PM

Quote:
I will just stick with my current card I think, thanks for the advice Paul.
Nice to see a fellow X800XL user 8)

FEAR is the only game I would consider playing that has PS3.0, so I am not to bothered as yet.

I'm another X800XL user, and am still quite pleased with it's performance, even in FEAR. I going to build new later this year, but I'm good for now. :) 
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2007 1:12:05 AM

Quote:
With the kind of textures seen in Crysis I dont see how it couldnt be a help.

Yeah, assuming the GTS has enough power to play with textures and res cranked to where amount of RAM matters. It can't hurt, but it may not help too much either depending just how much of a GPU killer Crysis ends up being. 10 fps vs 20 fps is a 100% boost, but in the end not worth didly right. :D 
!