Help with restoring partition

I know this is not an acronis site, but I need help.
Something my son did messed up our computer so that a restore appears in
order. Microsoft's spyware program, ad aware, and spy bot do not show any
spyware. Norton scan did not show a problem. I have a True Image backup but
don't know how to use it. The help file is not very clear.
Do I just start in safe mode and if so how do I do that?
If I use the Startup Recovery Manager by pressing F11, will it let me find
the file that I want to use for backup or do I have to use the Bootable CD?
If I use the bootable CD will it let me find the file? Will the mouse be
active to use for selection?
Any hints will be appreciated.
Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about help restoring partition

    TrueImage is quite easy to use. Just boot with the CD and TrueImage will
    load. The interface looks exactly like the Windows Interface so it will be
    familiar to you. Select the option to Restore by clicking twice. Do a search
    for your backup. If you use the Acronis Zone then point there (no file name
    is used in the Acronis Zone) or if you saved to another location then browse
    to it. If you do incremental backups then point to the latest date. Then
    follow the on screen instructions. Basically you will simply check boxes.
    You will be asked what you want to restore - so it should be your C drive -
    check the box. You will be asked where to restore - so check the C drive.
    Accept the rest of the defaults. It should take only a few minutes or so.
    When finished you will need to Exit and reboot. Remove the CD if it is in
    the drive.

    If you use the Acronis Zone and have it enabled then you will see a message
    to press F11 during start up. Press F11 and you will have a screen to select
    to launch Acronis True Image or Windows XP. Select the option to run True
    Image and follow the above.

    I assume you have already checked the integrity of the backup. If not run
    the "Check image" from the program's menu BEFORE you run Restore. Rarely is
    an image bad but if it is then you don't want to load it onto your system as
    a corrupt image will not boot.

    If the image is corrupt then we will need to try other troubleshooting
    attempts.

    I captured some screen shots here that might be marginally useful to you.
    Just look at them in order
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/trueimage/ti.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    her hubby wrote:
    > I know this is not an acronis site, but I need help.
    > Something my son did messed up our computer so that a restore appears in
    > order. Microsoft's spyware program, ad aware, and spy bot do not show any
    > spyware. Norton scan did not show a problem. I have a True Image backup but
    > don't know how to use it. The help file is not very clear.
    > Do I just start in safe mode and if so how do I do that?
    > If I use the Startup Recovery Manager by pressing F11, will it let me find
    > the file that I want to use for backup or do I have to use the Bootable CD?
    > If I use the bootable CD will it let me find the file? Will the mouse be
    > active to use for selection?
    > Any hints will be appreciated.
    > Thanks.

    You might explain the problem. Many times problems can be fixed
    without restoring.

    gls858

    Hopefully you did create an image file on another HDD or CDs. It is not clear from your post about what you expect to accomplish.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "her hubby" <herhubby@helpful.net> wrote in message news:114gvn77ceiq847@corp.supernews.com...
    |I know this is not an acronis site, but I need help.
    | Something my son did messed up our computer so that a restore appears in
    | order. Microsoft's spyware program, ad aware, and spy bot do not show any
    | spyware. Norton scan did not show a problem. I have a True Image backup but
    | don't know how to use it. The help file is not very clear.
    | Do I just start in safe mode and if so how do I do that?
    | If I use the Startup Recovery Manager by pressing F11, will it let me find
    | the file that I want to use for backup or do I have to use the Bootable CD?
    | If I use the bootable CD will it let me find the file? Will the mouse be
    | active to use for selection?
    | Any hints will be appreciated.
    | Thanks.

    Thank you everyone for your help. Using the bootable CD I was able to get my
    system back to my last True Image backup. Now my wife is happy because she
    can do her thing whatever it is.

    Her Hubby

    > TrueImage is quite easy to use. Just boot with the CD and TrueImage will
    > load. The interface looks exactly like the Windows Interface so it will be
    > familiar to you. Select the option to Restore by clicking twice. Do a
    search
    > for your backup. If you use the Acronis Zone then point there (no file
    name
    > is used in the Acronis Zone) or if you saved to another location then
    browse
    > to it. If you do incremental backups then point to the latest date. Then
    > follow the on screen instructions. Basically you will simply check boxes.
    > You will be asked what you want to restore - so it should be your C
    drive -
    > check the box. You will be asked where to restore - so check the C drive.
    > Accept the rest of the defaults. It should take only a few minutes or so.
    > When finished you will need to Exit and reboot. Remove the CD if it is in
    > the drive.
    >
    > If you use the Acronis Zone and have it enabled then you will see a
    message
    > to press F11 during start up. Press F11 and you will have a screen to
    select
    > to launch Acronis True Image or Windows XP. Select the option to run True
    > Image and follow the above.
    >
    > I assume you have already checked the integrity of the backup. If not run
    > the "Check image" from the program's menu BEFORE you run Restore. Rarely
    is
    > an image bad but if it is then you don't want to load it onto your system
    as
    > a corrupt image will not boot.
    >
    > If the image is corrupt then we will need to try other troubleshooting
    > attempts.
    >
    > I captured some screen shots here that might be marginally useful to you.
    > Just look at them in order
    > http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/images/trueimage/ti.htm
    >

    > --
    >
    > Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    > www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
    >

    > "her hubby" <herhubby@helpful.net> wrote in message
    > > I know this is not an acronis site, but I need help.
    > > Something my son did messed up our computer so that a restore appears in
    > > order. Microsoft's spyware program, ad aware, and spy bot do not show
    any
    > > spyware. Norton scan did not show a problem. I have a True Image backup
    > but
    > > don't know how to use it. The help file is not very clear.
    > > Do I just start in safe mode and if so how do I do that?
    > > If I use the Startup Recovery Manager by pressing F11, will it let me
    find
    > > the file that I want to use for backup or do I have to use the Bootable
    > CD?
    > > If I use the bootable CD will it let me find the file? Will the mouse be
    > > active to use for selection?
    > > Any hints will be appreciated.
    > > Thanks.

    There were too many minor problems to list them all. Bottom line is it
    worked.

    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > her hubby wrote:
    > > I know this is not an acronis site, but I need help.
    > > Something my son did messed up our computer so that a restore appears in
    > > order. Microsoft's spyware program, ad aware, and spy bot do not show
    any
    > > spyware. Norton scan did not show a problem. I have a True Image backup
    but
    > > don't know how to use it. The help file is not very clear.
    > > Do I just start in safe mode and if so how do I do that?
    > > If I use the Startup Recovery Manager by pressing F11, will it let me
    find
    > > the file that I want to use for backup or do I have to use the Bootable
    CD?
    > > If I use the bootable CD will it let me find the file? Will the mouse be
    > > active to use for selection?
    > > Any hints will be appreciated.
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > You might explain the problem. Many times problems can be fixed
    > without restoring.
    >
    > gls858

    Yes I had. It worked.

    "» mrtee «" <hingelicker$@new.rr.com> wrote in message
    Hopefully you did create an image file on another HDD or CDs. It is not
    clear from your post about what you expect to accomplish.

    --
    Just my 2¢ worth,
    Jeff
    "her hubby" <herhubby@helpful.net> wrote in message
    |I know this is not an acronis site, but I need help.
    | Something my son did messed up our computer so that a restore appears in
    | order. Microsoft's spyware program, ad aware, and spy bot do not show any
    | spyware. Norton scan did not show a problem. I have a True Image backup
    but
    | don't know how to use it. The help file is not very clear.
    | Do I just start in safe mode and if so how do I do that?
    | If I use the Startup Recovery Manager by pressing F11, will it let me find
    | the file that I want to use for backup or do I have to use the Bootable
    CD?
    | If I use the bootable CD will it let me find the file? Will the mouse be
    | active to use for selection?
    | Any hints will be appreciated.
    | Thanks.

    Your welcome. Glad to hear that wife is happy.

    --

> [...]
    > > > I know this is not an acronis site, but I need help.
    > > > Something my son did messed up our computer so that a restore appears
    in
    > > > order. Microsoft's spyware program, ad aware, and spy bot do not show
    > any
    > > > spyware. Norton scan did not show a problem. I have a True Image
    backup
    > > but
    > > > don't know how to use it. The help file is not very clear.
    > > > Do I just start in safe mode and if so how do I do that?
    > > > If I use the Startup Recovery Manager by pressing F11, will it let me
    > find
    > > > the file that I want to use for backup or do I have to use the
    Bootable
    > > CD?
    > > > If I use the bootable CD will it let me find the file? Will the mouse

Microsoft Windows XP