Help w/ low-spec computer setup

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Ok, so I was thinking about building a second, CHEAP computer to install in my car for media purposes. I was thinking about just getting the litty-gritty, bare necessities to be able to run Vista, and about 100GB of storage, so I'm not asking for TOO much. Just something w/ about 1Ghz cpu, 1GB of ram, integrated or not graphics card of about 128mb, and a dvd drive. Oh, and I'm going to be putting a really good sound card in it, because I do compete in audio competitions, and figured if I attached the setup to a 7" or so touch screen monitor in the front, and only use it as a media player to play my songs and movies stored on it, as well as a dvd player, then it'd be a pretty good setup. Just keep Vista on there for style, and keep the resolution I guess somewhat low due to a small screen, and it sounds like it shouldn't cost too much.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, can someone tell me which route I should go for a low-end cpu? I don't know much about low-end cpus as is, but the three things I'm looking for is for it to run at low temperatures (living in Houston, it gets pretty hot in a black car in summer), to urn the bare minimum for Vista, and for it to be accordingly cheap. Anyone have any ideas right of the bat?

And one last thing, I'm most likely going to be keeping the computer hidden somewhere, so are there any cases or anything of the sort meant for this kind of application? I'm probably going to do some modding with the middle console so I could run my dvd-rom there, and get an extension cable to connect it to my computer elsewhere, and pt the monitor below it. Either that or, I'm not sure if this will work, but just get one of those flip-screen touch-screens that you use instead of your headunit, then SOMEHOW wire this to the computer. I'm still in the early stages of doing all of this though, so any advice would be helpful. Thanks everyone :D

CamaroShifter88

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Wow.. thanks for all the info everyone!

I'm still thinking of going with the computer itself-route atm, just because if all else fails, I can pull it back out and use it as a computer as well, and It'll probably much cheaper for this setup. Though I AM wondering whether or not you can upgrade the sound card the mini-box systems. I'll have to look at the mini-itx a bit more in depth when I have the time. It's kinda confusing what it is on first glance, but right now I'm kinda restricted on time.

And what kind of deal did you get form newegg, logainofhades? I was actually thinking of getting most of my stuff from there because, they've always been where I've built my computer from :D. Thanks again everyone!

You could always go with a USB soundcard. Most of the Mini ITX boards have one PCI slot and you can get extenders / flexi cables to allow you to mount it.

The advantage of Mini ITX boards is that some of them are 12v ready, all you would need is a conditioner. If you try and run a standard PC then you will most likely need an inverter and then a more normal PSU. It's all extra overhead.