[PW!][NS] Noobish questions

Last response: in Video Games
February 5, 2005 4:57:32 AM

Hello all in the PokeWars! world. I've recently re-stumbled upon the
PW! and have been thinking about actually getting involved again this
time. I've read o'er all the important do's and don't's, the FAQ and
about the past 4 months worth of stories, minus the current month of
January. In other words, I read the last 3 months that were listed on
Pipian's PW! Pavilion.

My first question is probably the one most likely to get me flamed. Is
it possible to basically summarize what has changed since the end of
December last year up to current-ish in the PW! World? Or are you all
going to be predictable and say, "Get off your lazyass and read it
yourself!".

Second question involves my character, and will certainly come up when
I post my WG. Basically, I have a pseudo-character filled in from
another story I wrote. Since I had some background with PW (albeit 4
years ago) I actually wrote up a WG for that character. Firstly, for
the entrance of my character, I was planning on having him end up
travelling from Antarctica (his previous residency) to the land of
pokemon and while being slightly disoriented, end up someplace and
adapt. So far, I think that's admissable. The place where I think I'll
be having issues is not that at all, but in my character's power, since
I was reading about the powers of the Shiney Unown. Basically, my
character can stop and start time at will, and when in the stopped
time, he doesn't age. As a result, he looks to be the age of about 8,
but has the intelligence of a well respected university professor. To
balance this off, he has a strong aversion to violence, and also does
not know much about the world of pokemon (ie: types, afinities,
advantages, and the like) though he will certainly learn quick. His
main expertise is in electrical engineering and optics, as he designed
his own glasses which are reminiscent of a James Bond movie and has a
powerful laptop that he takes everywhere, though in the world of
pokemon it will need to be adapted to be of any use to him. I can
imagine his character as developing into a benevolent wandering
Professor, although he is rather withdrawn and not comfortable with
interaction with others.

Wow, I wrote a lot there, for asking a simple question or two.
Basically, I just wanted to know if this is gonna be okay to do, or is
his time-stopping ability too "all powerful"?

On an entirely separate topic, I'm using Google Groups and am having
this sent to my email... does anyone know if it is possible to just
have [PW!] tagged messages sent to me?

More about : noobish questions

Anonymous
February 5, 2005 7:44:16 AM

chris.xanadu.rex@gmail.com wrote:
> My first question is probably the one most likely to get me flamed.
Is
> it possible to basically summarize what has changed since the end of
> December last year up to current-ish in the PW! World? Or are you all
> going to be predictable and say, "Get off your lazyass and read it
> yourself!".

Not much has changed, really; the Search Party for Smasher is on the
verge of leaving Mauville, but that's about it.

> Second question involves my character, and will certainly come up
when
> I post my WG. Basically, I have a pseudo-character filled in from
> another story I wrote. Since I had some background with PW (albeit 4
> years ago) I actually wrote up a WG for that character. Firstly, for
> the entrance of my character, I was planning on having him end up
> travelling from Antarctica (his previous residency) to the land of
> pokemon and while being slightly disoriented, end up someplace and
> adapt. So far, I think that's admissable. The place where I think
I'll
> be having issues is not that at all, but in my character's power,
since
> I was reading about the powers of the Shiney Unown. Basically, my
> character can stop and start time at will, and when in the stopped
> time, he doesn't age. As a result, he looks to be the age of about 8,
> but has the intelligence of a well respected university professor. To
> balance this off, he has a strong aversion to violence, and also does
> not know much about the world of pokemon (ie: types, afinities,
> advantages, and the like) though he will certainly learn quick. His
> main expertise is in electrical engineering and optics, as he
designed
> his own glasses which are reminiscent of a James Bond movie and has a
> powerful laptop that he takes everywhere, though in the world of
> pokemon it will need to be adapted to be of any use to him. I can
> imagine his character as developing into a benevolent wandering
> Professor, although he is rather withdrawn and not comfortable with
> interaction with others.
>
> Wow, I wrote a lot there, for asking a simple question or two.
> Basically, I just wanted to know if this is gonna be okay to do, or
is
> his time-stopping ability too "all powerful"?

Not quite sure on that one. Depends on how it's set up, methinks.

> On an entirely separate topic, I'm using Google Groups and am having
> this sent to my email... does anyone know if it is possible to just
> have [PW!] tagged messages sent to me?

No idea. Believe me, I wish I knew how.
Anonymous
February 5, 2005 6:49:05 PM

chris.xanadu.rex@gmail.com wrote:

> My first question is probably the one most likely to get me flamed. Is
> it possible to basically summarize what has changed since the end of
> December last year up to current-ish in the PW! World? Or are you all
> going to be predictable and say, "Get off your lazyass and read it
> yourself!".

By "December last year," do you mean 2004 or 2003?

> Second question involves my character, and will certainly come up when
> I post my WG. Basically, I have a pseudo-character filled in from
> another story I wrote. Since I had some background with PW (albeit 4
> years ago) I actually wrote up a WG for that character. Firstly, for
> the entrance of my character, I was planning on having him end up
> travelling from Antarctica (his previous residency) to the land of
> pokemon and while being slightly disoriented, end up someplace and
> adapt.

Hmm... He must've lived in Antarctica a very long time to not know
anything about Pokemon. As far as I know, the only place in Pokemon's
world that doesn't have wild Pokemon is the Orre region, and I think
they import.

> So far, I think that's admissable. The place where I think I'll
> be having issues is not that at all, but in my character's power, since
> I was reading about the powers of the Shiney Unown. Basically, my
> character can stop and start time at will, and when in the stopped
> time, he doesn't age. As a result, he looks to be the age of about 8,
> but has the intelligence of a well respected university professor.

I suppose the omniness of the character depends on how this power is
used and to what extent. The general standard in PW is that you can't
be more powerful than Sabrina or Mewtwo. The Shiney Unown stop time in
isolated pockets, the size and duration of which often depending on the
collective power of all participating Unown.

But what I'm curious about is the execution of the time stopping.
Specifically, what he can do while time has stopped. If he can move
about freely while time has stopped, I think it might be a bit much. If
he is incapable of physical movement, thus only able to observe and
plan, then I think that is fine.

> balance this off, he has a strong aversion to violence, and also does
> not know much about the world of pokemon (ie: types, afinities,
> advantages, and the like) though he will certainly learn quick. His
> main expertise is in electrical engineering and optics, as he designed
> his own glasses which are reminiscent of a James Bond movie and has a
> powerful laptop that he takes everywhere, though in the world of
> pokemon it will need to be adapted to be of any use to him. I can
> imagine his character as developing into a benevolent wandering
> Professor, although he is rather withdrawn and not comfortable with
> interaction with others.

Reminds me of the girl with the Bagon on the show. Your tech may be
high-end, but is by no means implausible in the Pokemon world. This is
a world were blue whales are stored in containers the size of softballs,
which are, in turn, stored in a computer, and you're worried about
sunglasses with a built-in HUD?

> Wow, I wrote a lot there, for asking a simple question or two.
> Basically, I just wanted to know if this is gonna be okay to do, or is
> his time-stopping ability too "all powerful"?

Probably. The Shiney Unown's time-stopping ability is as much a gag as
anything else.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass
is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs
to be." -- The Magic Engineer

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
February 5, 2005 10:31:08 PM

December last year being 2004. I'll probably read further into the past
as I begin to interact, but for now I just wanted to get a feel for
what was going on.

As far as I know, Antarctica isn't in the Pokemon world, is it? I was
planning on probably using a dimensional disturbance or something else
un-disprovable for bringing him into the PW! world. For the most part,
I was using this beginning as a handicap for his ability. I'm thinking
escape from research facility in Antarctica, steal a boat, sail away.
While sailing, he stops time to make the trip go quicker, but when he
lands on actual land, it's not South America or Africa, it's the
Seafoam Islands. Sees Articuno, and I'll prolly begin my story there.
(No, I know he can't catch Articuno or ride it or anything stupid like
that).

As for the time-stopping execution, basically, here's a layout. Hell,
I'll probably copy and paste large parts of this thread for the WG, but
meeh. When he does his thing, he basically creates a pocket or a bubble
of time surrounding himself. Since he's been in Antarctica in a
research facility for basically his entire life, he's fairly well
mastered how to do this. He can expand the bubble of timeliness to
include others and other things around him, like his pet cat (Eevee)
Veever or his computers. I had pictured him as being able to move
freely, though I suppose he could have to start time again to include
someone or something else in the time stop (such as a door to move it),
if necessary.

And for the tech, I wasn't really that concerned with it being too
high-tech... I remember the one episode with the laptop kid at the
school who lost to Ash. I'm just trying to skirt the line of "highly
intelligent" vs. "all knowing".
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 2:26:45 PM

chris.xanadu.rex@gmail.com wrote:

> As far as I know, Antarctica isn't in the Pokemon world, is it? I was
> planning on probably using a dimensional disturbance or something else
> un-disprovable for bringing him into the PW! world. For the most part,
> I was using this beginning as a handicap for his ability. I'm thinking
> escape from research facility in Antarctica, steal a boat, sail away.
> While sailing, he stops time to make the trip go quicker, but when he
> lands on actual land, it's not South America or Africa, it's the
> Seafoam Islands. Sees Articuno, and I'll prolly begin my story there.
> (No, I know he can't catch Articuno or ride it or anything stupid like
> that).

You can be extra-dimensional. There have been several characters in PW
with that trait. But from what I can tell, the Pokemon world is
supposed to be Earth. The regions in the game apparently correspond to
areas of Japan, Mew (if I recall correctly) was discovered in South
America, and Brock once said that there was a legend that says Pokemon
came to Earth in a spaceship. Of course, it doesn't mean it has to be
the same Earth.

> As for the time-stopping execution, basically, here's a layout. Hell,
> I'll probably copy and paste large parts of this thread for the WG, but
> meeh. When he does his thing, he basically creates a pocket or a bubble
> of time surrounding himself. Since he's been in Antarctica in a
> research facility for basically his entire life, he's fairly well
> mastered how to do this. He can expand the bubble of timeliness to
> include others and other things around him, like his pet cat (Eevee)
> Veever or his computers. I had pictured him as being able to move
> freely, though I suppose he could have to start time again to include
> someone or something else in the time stop (such as a door to move it),
> if necessary.

Hmm... I guess if it were to be necessary to remain unaffected by a time
freeze someone else could use a Shiney Unown, but I'm not even sure
where some of the characters that have them are. Perhaps there should
be further restrictions on this ability, like only slowing down time
rather than stopping it. I also remember there was once a character on
DragonBall Z that could stop time but only while holding his breath.

And I always thought of Eevee as more of a dog than a cat.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass
is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs
to be." -- The Magic Engineer

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
February 8, 2005 3:16:52 AM

I think I'll just have it be an extra-dimensional earth without Pokemon
at all (ie not even the games) just to give him a bit of a handicap and
to have more of him to develop. I was unaware that the games were
supposed to reflect the real Earth.

For the restrictions on the time stop, I was thinking that perhaps
either anyone with a Shiney on them was automatically brought into the
time stop when he went into one (ie: Ice's TS caused a chair reaction
in the Shiney that stopped time for the Shiney carrier as well)?
Another thought could be that any psychic would be brought into the
time stop when getting close to Ice, with the closeness needed to be
brought in basically determined by the power of their psychicness...
i.e: If he walks into Saffron or either town surrounding Saffron and
goes into a TS, Sabrina would know right away because she would be
brought into it as well?

As for Eevee... Her name is Silver and she's actually a Shiney Eevee,
because in the other dimension he had a Cat named Silver who had a grey
fur coat. And I want him to start with an Eevee, damnit.

Argh... I've got my WG outline all laid out... Now I just need to
actually type it. I'm too freaking lazy. Expect it to be posted within
the next 2-3 days, hopefully.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:12:50 PM

chris.xanadu.rex@gmail.com wrote:
> I think I'll just have it be an extra-dimensional earth without Pokemon
> at all (ie not even the games) just to give him a bit of a handicap and
> to have more of him to develop. I was unaware that the games were
> supposed to reflect the real Earth.

I think the general layout is the same. Tokyo takes up most of the
Johto region, if I recall.

> For the restrictions on the time stop, I was thinking that perhaps
> either anyone with a Shiney on them was automatically brought into the
> time stop when he went into one (ie: Ice's TS caused a chair reaction
> in the Shiney that stopped time for the Shiney carrier as well)?
> Another thought could be that any psychic would be brought into the
> time stop when getting close to Ice, with the closeness needed to be
> brought in basically determined by the power of their psychicness...
> i.e: If he walks into Saffron or either town surrounding Saffron and
> goes into a TS, Sabrina would know right away because she would be
> brought into it as well?

So anyone with suitably powerful psychic or otherwise supernatural
powers remain unfrozen?

> As for Eevee... Her name is Silver and she's actually a Shiney Eevee,
> because in the other dimension he had a Cat named Silver who had a grey
> fur coat. And I want him to start with an Eevee, damnit.

Cat, dog, whatever. Its design is rather ambiguous.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass
is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs
to be." -- The Magic Engineer

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
February 9, 2005 3:33:51 AM

> So anyone with suitably powerful psychic or otherwise supernatural
> powers remain unfrozen?

Yeah, does that sound like a reasonable compromise? And for the record,
he's not actually affecting anything around him, he's affecting
himself. Seems like a silly distinction, but I'm not sure if it'd be
important or not.
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:21:07 PM

Word'll do weird things to your punctuation. Type it in WordPad
instead and save as .txt (or else just use Notepad).
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 4:59:30 PM

Well, anything that was a hard copy would have been better than what I
had. God I'm such a lazy person. Maybe I'll get around to writing it up
after my programming assignment today.

....Which I should go do now, since class is in 2 hours...
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 5:10:21 PM

chris.xanadu.rex@gmail.com wrote:
>>So anyone with suitably powerful psychic or otherwise supernatural
>>powers remain unfrozen?
>

> Yeah, does that sound like a reasonable compromise? And for the record,
> he's not actually affecting anything around him, he's affecting
> himself. Seems like a silly distinction, but I'm not sure if it'd be
> important or not.

I think it would be a rather significant distinction, actually. It
means that instead of slowing down the time around him, he's speeding up
his own. Everything around him will appear to have been stopped, but it
all would actually be moving at normal speed and he's just moving
really, really fast. Since this ability is only being used on himself,
whether or not other people can counter it is irrelevent unless they use
their counter-ability the same time your character uses his.

If this is the case, I strongly suggest that your character not be able
to move while he "freezes" time. Otherwise, he will be the only person
able to move while time is "frozen," which I think makes him too
powerful. Unfortunately, this also means that he can't alter time
around his boat to make it go faster so you'll have to take that part
out or change it.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

"To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass
is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs
to be." -- The Magic Engineer

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
February 11, 2005 1:19:51 AM

Oh. No, that's not what I'd had in mind. Argh, stupid Einstein and his
laws of Physics. I guess for what I was picturing in my head, an
"affect everything everywhere except himself and other superpeople
(psychics and the like)" works.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:14:41 PM

chris.xanadu.rex@gmail.com wrote:
> Oh. No, that's not what I'd had in mind. Argh, stupid Einstein and his
> laws of Physics. I guess for what I was picturing in my head, an
> "affect everything everywhere except himself and other superpeople
> (psychics and the like)" works.

So he stops time throughout the universe? When I put it like that, it
sounds a little overpowered. I'd be more in favor of small pockets of
time, like the Shiny Unown do.

Here's an idea on how to whittle down his powers: Have the size,
extent, and duration depend on the amount of focus he can put into it.
First off, he has to be actively concentrating on stopping time in order
to keep it from moving. This means he can't just turn it off and on
like a light switch and he must divide his attentions between stopping
time and whatever else he's trying to do. Also, he can't freeze time
while he's asleep.

Second, time does not stop completely just because he's using this
power. He'll need his full concentration in order to make things
infinitesimally slow, as close to having stopped time as possible
without actually stopping it (If he actually stops time, he may not be
able to see anything. Technically, this is just an arbitrary point
since it'd be the same thing in the short term.). Otherwise, it's more
like videogame-style bullet time and everything is just moving really
slow.

Finally, he can only have a limited area of influence. While this
sphere could be of any size, I'll say that the minium amount of effort
put into the ability will garner a radius about the size of your average
Pokemon battlefield, including player positions. If he wishes to freeze
an entire city or larger, he must focus entirely on doing just that.

Additionally, the size and extent of the time freeze require seperate
attentions (duration is inheirent in the act). For instance, if he
focuses on freezing an entire city, he may not be able to stop
everything completely. However, if he focuses on a single target (say,
a falling boulder) it will be held in place until he lets go. If he
puts equal amounts of energy into both, he could probably make a couple
city blocks move at the speed of a glacier.

What do you think about that?

Just out of curiousity, what are you planning on using this ability for?