Component vs. DVI (incorporating convenience)

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 22, 2004 7:45:59 AM

I've seen this done to death, but this is a slightly different question than
what most people ask (i.e. which one is better).

I'm planning to get a DLP television so obviously the DVI will be the better
connection given that the signal will stay digital all the way up to the
micromirrors. However, I'm wondering if the difference between component
and DVI would even be noticeable to the eye. If I use component cables then
I can hook all of my components up to my stereo and do all the video
switching through there which is quite easy and convenient.

So basically I am trying to weigh the visual benefit of using DVI versus the
switching convenience of component. Feel free to weigh in (especially if
you've done some testing)!

Brad
September 22, 2004 8:34:52 PM

"Brad Griffis" <bradgriffis@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xz64d.11356$xQ5.1906@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> I've seen this done to death, but this is a slightly different question than
> what most people ask (i.e. which one is better).
>
> I'm planning to get a DLP television so obviously the DVI will be the better
> connection given that the signal will stay digital all the way up to the
> micromirrors. However, I'm wondering if the difference between component
> and DVI would even be noticeable to the eye. If I use component cables then
> I can hook all of my components up to my stereo and do all the video
> switching through there which is quite easy and convenient.
>
> So basically I am trying to weigh the visual benefit of using DVI versus the
> switching convenience of component. Feel free to weigh in (especially if
> you've done some testing)!
>
> Brad

Depending on the Specs of the receiver - it is possible switching
through a stereo may reduce image quality. You can alway a/b compare
DVI to componenet. I have seen posts that state componenet and DVI
are identical while others can see an improvement. I plan to run all
my current devices straight to the TV. But in the future with HDMI
connections - I might run everything through a future receiver.

JCPZero
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:21:54 AM

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:45:59 GMT, "Brad Griffis"
<bradgriffis@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I've seen this done to death, but this is a slightly different question than
>what most people ask (i.e. which one is better).
>
>I'm planning to get a DLP television so obviously the DVI will be the better
>connection given that the signal will stay digital all the way up to the
>micromirrors. However, I'm wondering if the difference between component
>and DVI would even be noticeable to the eye. If I use component cables then
>I can hook all of my components up to my stereo and do all the video
>switching through there which is quite easy and convenient.
>
>So basically I am trying to weigh the visual benefit of using DVI versus the
>switching convenience of component. Feel free to weigh in (especially if
>you've done some testing)!
>
>Brad

If your set top box has DVI out, I'd use that to go to your set, and
use the stereo receiver for the audio, so you'll have the full
surround effect. That's how I ended up doing it. I don't think it's as
much an issue with DVI<->component as it is with routing your video
signal through your receiver and then back to your TV with component.
Depends on the quality of your receiver, but in general, less (devices
between your incoming signal and your set) is better. I can't speak
from experience with component/DVI but the nimwits from Direct TV that
upgraded my system to their HD receiver and dish, used the DVI out on
their Samsung TS360 HD receiver they installed (as I asked them to do)
but they plugged in the S-video as well to re-establish what was there
before. My old D*TV box had only composite and S-video out (no
component or DVI), and was hooked up to the Denon receiver like that.
When they unplugged the old D*TV Hughes receiver, they hooked up the
DVI to the TV and re-established the S-video cable connection. Big
mistake that was, and I only noticed it later.
I discovered that this S-video output was actually draining video
signal from the DVI out, whenever I had my Denon switched to the STD
position as it was before. I unplugged the S-video from the Samsung,
and immediately saw a big improvement of my picture now going 100%
through my DVI. It's a long story and hard to explain but it did make
a huge difference. I still have my sound going into the Denon on the
STD position, but all my satelite video is now going straight to the
TV using the DVI and the picture is awesome, including the SD and
analog channels. I used to have poorer picture on analog and SD
channels then I had before, and now this is completely resolved. Just
by unplugging the S-video connection from my new Samsung receiver to
the Denon. I didn't need it in the first place and it actually ended
up degrading my overall picture quality.

Long story, I guess. But if I were you, I'd go digital all the way and
use the DVI for what it was intended.
!