Internet Explorer times out after installing sp4

Hi all,

I installed W2K sp4 on an IBM T23 laptop. After the
install completed, IE started timing out while browsing
the web. Outlook also started having problems getting to
the server (download via broadband connection).

I backed out sp4 and all was working fine again. I saw
one tech note in regards to this having to do with
Symantec firewall and internet security, but I have
neither installed on the laptop.

Anyone else seen this happen and have any clues to whats
going on?

TIA.

Steve

On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:37:33 -0700, "Steve Conte"

>Hi all,
>
> I installed W2K sp4 on an IBM T23 laptop. After the
>install completed, IE started timing out while browsing
>the web. Outlook also started having problems getting to
>the server (download via broadband connection).
>
> I backed out sp4 and all was working fine again. I saw
>one tech note in regards to this having to do with
>Symantec firewall and internet security, but I have
>neither installed on the laptop.
>
> Anyone else seen this happen and have any clues to whats
>going on?
>
> TIA.
>
> Steve

Hi Steve and all,

I've had the same problem as well (spec below), everything worked fine
with no service packs installed, I then went to install SP4 because of
the security holes in w2k. Installed SP4 and could not get some
webpages. I can get www.yahoo.com but not www.yahoo.co.uk this was
the same with many other pages, some work some dont. When I ping the
ones that don't work I get an ok response just no response through
IE6. I decied to format the system and reinstall. I tried again with
no other software on the system apart from IE5, same problem again,
uninstalled SP4 and the problem was cured. Tried SP2 and SP3 with the
same results. Managed to get msblaster while doing all this with no
AV software so I reformatted again and have installed again with SP4
and blaster fix. So I still have the same problem, everything else on
the system works fine. I also tried oprea and it has the same
problem, some websites fine some time out. I have checked many forums
and have only found people with the same problem but no one has a fix.

So this is my last hope, can any of you crack this impossible problem.

Thanx,

Kipper.

Spec:-

Celron 1.7Ghz
W2k Professional - SP4
DSL connection - shared on network (other network computers are W98
and work fine)
SMC eithernet II 10/100 card