Internet Explorer times out after installing sp4

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

Hi all,

I installed W2K sp4 on an IBM T23 laptop. After the
install completed, IE started timing out while browsing
the web. Outlook also started having problems getting to
the server (download via broadband connection).

I backed out sp4 and all was working fine again. I saw
one tech note in regards to this having to do with
Symantec firewall and internet security, but I have
neither installed on the laptop.

Anyone else seen this happen and have any clues to whats
going on?

TIA.

Steve
1 answer Last reply
More about internet explorer times installing
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    On Wed, 5 May 2004 15:37:33 -0700, "Steve Conte"
    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    > I installed W2K sp4 on an IBM T23 laptop. After the
    >install completed, IE started timing out while browsing
    >the web. Outlook also started having problems getting to
    >the server (download via broadband connection).
    >
    > I backed out sp4 and all was working fine again. I saw
    >one tech note in regards to this having to do with
    >Symantec firewall and internet security, but I have
    >neither installed on the laptop.
    >
    > Anyone else seen this happen and have any clues to whats
    >going on?
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    >

    Hi Steve and all,

    I've had the same problem as well (spec below), everything worked fine
    with no service packs installed, I then went to install SP4 because of
    the security holes in w2k. Installed SP4 and could not get some
    webpages. I can get www.yahoo.com but not www.yahoo.co.uk this was
    the same with many other pages, some work some dont. When I ping the
    ones that don't work I get an ok response just no response through
    IE6. I decied to format the system and reinstall. I tried again with
    no other software on the system apart from IE5, same problem again,
    uninstalled SP4 and the problem was cured. Tried SP2 and SP3 with the
    same results. Managed to get msblaster while doing all this with no
    AV software so I reformatted again and have installed again with SP4
    and blaster fix. So I still have the same problem, everything else on
    the system works fine. I also tried oprea and it has the same
    problem, some websites fine some time out. I have checked many forums
    and have only found people with the same problem but no one has a fix.

    So this is my last hope, can any of you crack this impossible problem.

    Thanx,

    Kipper.


    Spec:-

    Celron 1.7Ghz
    W2k Professional - SP4
    DSL connection - shared on network (other network computers are W98
    and work fine)
    SMC eithernet II 10/100 card
Ask a new question

Read More

Internet Explorer Windows