upgrade NT4 domain- PDC/BDC process

OK, here's another weird idea. I have a domain with NT4
PDC and BDC and several Win2000 member servers. The PDC
can run 2000 if I upgrade it, but the BDC can't- it's an
old machine, maxed out at 128MB.

So, could I:
- upgrade the PDC to 2000, DCPROMO it to install AD, then:
- run in mixed mode so AD could talk to the NT40 BDC
while I:
- DCPROMO one of the member servers to make it a DC as
well, and then:
- remove the NT40 machine BDC from the domain, and:
- convert the domain to native mode?

I think this should work, on paper. Anyone see any real-
world difficulties?

This should work.

One thing to think about would be that the *only* way to rename a Win 2k
domain is if it is in mixed mode. If you are *positive* the domain name is
OK and does not need to be changed, make the switch.

Unless there is a burning reason to make the switch to native mode I would
run in mixed mode for a while. You can always make the switch later. Once
you make the switch you can't go back.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE