upgrade NT4 domain- PDC/BDC process

OK, here's another weird idea. I have a domain with NT4
PDC and BDC and several Win2000 member servers. The PDC
can run 2000 if I upgrade it, but the BDC can't- it's an
old machine, maxed out at 128MB.

So, could I:
- upgrade the PDC to 2000, DCPROMO it to install AD, then:
- run in mixed mode so AD could talk to the NT40 BDC
while I:
- DCPROMO one of the member servers to make it a DC as
well, and then:
- remove the NT40 machine BDC from the domain, and:
- convert the domain to native mode?

I think this should work, on paper. Anyone see any real-
world difficulties?
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade domain process
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    This should work.

    One thing to think about would be that the *only* way to rename a Win 2k
    domain is if it is in mixed mode. If you are *positive* the domain name is
    OK and does not need to be changed, make the switch.

    Unless there is a burning reason to make the switch to native mode I would
    run in mixed mode for a while. You can always make the switch later. Once
    you make the switch you can't go back.

    hth
    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "DBT" <dabigtrain@REMOVEvisi.comCAPS> wrote in message
    > OK, here's another weird idea. I have a domain with NT4
    > PDC and BDC and several Win2000 member servers. The PDC
    > can run 2000 if I upgrade it, but the BDC can't- it's an
    > old machine, maxed out at 128MB.
    >
    > So, could I:
    > - upgrade the PDC to 2000, DCPROMO it to install AD, then:
    > - run in mixed mode so AD could talk to the NT40 BDC
    > while I:
    > - DCPROMO one of the member servers to make it a DC as
    > well, and then:
    > - remove the NT40 machine BDC from the domain, and:
    > - convert the domain to native mode?
    >
    > I think this should work, on paper. Anyone see any real-
    > world difficulties?

Domain Microsoft Servers Windows