Frequent blue screen of death problems please advise

Group,

I reformatted my drives this weekend, and I went to
install a legal copy of XP. However, set up would stall
and throw out the blue screen of death with a page fault
error. Consequently I had to throw on Windows 2000
Professional and the installation went OK. Now, however,
I receive numerous errors ranging from page faults to
DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors. In a couple of
occasions the machine gave, which looked to me like, a
memory address and said something about the ntoskrnl file
was corrupt or missing. After a complete shutdown I was
able to continue normally. Lastly, just out of nowhere
some of my applications will throw out an error that says
that there was an error and a specific memory address and
asks me if I want to debug. I also find these errors to
be more frequent when I am doing something with a heavy
load like installing programs or large copy and paste
events

My question is, is this a sign of a component going out
like a hard drive or some other motherboard problem?
Before reformatting the drive I had Windows XP on the
machine and it was very stable.

I'm sorry for the vagueness, but I am pretty frustrated
with it.

Any suggestions would be great,
Jim
2 answers Last reply
More about frequent blue screen death problems advise
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Jim - it does sound like a hardware prob. You might:
    1. Make sure all connections are tight.
    2. Make sure all cards incl RAM are tightly seated.
    3. Download/run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic, usually a bootable
    diskette image; it will check the hardware for problems, sometimes can
    fix some, and depending on results the tech support guys may give you a
    free replacement drive.
    4. Make sure all drivers (mobo and devices) are W2k-specific; on XP make
    sure they're XP-specific.
    Just in case:
    5. Run System File Checker (sfc.exe). For syntax do: C:>sfc /?
    6. You backed up your important stuff lately? :-)

    Jim wrote:

    > Group,
    >
    > I reformatted my drives this weekend, and I went to
    > install a legal copy of XP. However, set up would stall
    > and throw out the blue screen of death with a page fault
    > error. Consequently I had to throw on Windows 2000
    > Professional and the installation went OK. Now, however,
    > I receive numerous errors ranging from page faults to
    > DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors. In a couple of
    > occasions the machine gave, which looked to me like, a
    > memory address and said something about the ntoskrnl file
    > was corrupt or missing. After a complete shutdown I was
    > able to continue normally. Lastly, just out of nowhere
    > some of my applications will throw out an error that says
    > that there was an error and a specific memory address and
    > asks me if I want to debug. I also find these errors to
    > be more frequent when I am doing something with a heavy
    > load like installing programs or large copy and paste
    > events
    >
    > My question is, is this a sign of a component going out
    > like a hard drive or some other motherboard problem?
    > Before reformatting the drive I had Windows XP on the
    > machine and it was very stable.
    >
    > I'm sorry for the vagueness, but I am pretty frustrated
    > with it.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be great,
    > Jim
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Jim - I should have also said:
    Check Event Viewer and Device Manager for clues.

    Jim wrote:

    > Group,
    >
    > I reformatted my drives this weekend, and I went to
    > install a legal copy of XP. However, set up would stall
    > and throw out the blue screen of death with a page fault
    > error. Consequently I had to throw on Windows 2000
    > Professional and the installation went OK. Now, however,
    > I receive numerous errors ranging from page faults to
    > DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL errors. In a couple of
    > occasions the machine gave, which looked to me like, a
    > memory address and said something about the ntoskrnl file
    > was corrupt or missing. After a complete shutdown I was
    > able to continue normally. Lastly, just out of nowhere
    > some of my applications will throw out an error that says
    > that there was an error and a specific memory address and
    > asks me if I want to debug. I also find these errors to
    > be more frequent when I am doing something with a heavy
    > load like installing programs or large copy and paste
    > events
    >
    > My question is, is this a sign of a component going out
    > like a hard drive or some other motherboard problem?
    > Before reformatting the drive I had Windows XP on the
    > machine and it was very stable.
    >
    > I'm sorry for the vagueness, but I am pretty frustrated
    > with it.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be great,
    > Jim

Blue Screen Windows