quick question - don't have any wireless knowledge

desolationw

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I have a main computer in my house which has an asdl modem connected to it through usb. My sis recently got a laptop and needs it to be on the internet. My first thought was a modem router but they cost around £60. I know i will have to get one of them sometime but was hoping that i could do it on the cheap for now.

Wireless pci network cards and wireless usb adapters are only a tenner here and i was wondering if it is possible to plug either a pci card or usb adapter into my main computer and be able to connect onto it from my laptop to share the internet and userfiles?

thanks

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Yes, it is possible.

After you install your network card (whether PCI or USB), you run the home network setup wizard on your PC, setting it up to share your internet connection (ICS). Pay close attention to which port you indicate to the wizard is your internet port and which is your local LAN port to be sure you get it right.

Run the wizard on the laptop, making sure you are using the same workgroup name (if you want to share files), and making sure you are setting up to attach to an ad hoc network on the wireless.

Caveat: I've only talked people through this kind of setup; haven't done one myself. If I've missed a step or mistated something, someone will be happy to correct me! :wink: