Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon 64 temp okay at 45c ????

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
March 18, 2007 9:33:54 PM

My "smart guardian" tells me my CPU temp is (average) 45c or from 113 to 117 degrees. This is pretty much with only a few programs running in the background, nothing much.

Also shows PWMIC at 94 degrees and SYSTEM at 90 degrees. Does this sound okay????

Thanks...........Kent

More about : amd athlon temp 45c

March 18, 2007 9:51:05 PM

Well, it's not normal at all. The simplest explanation would be a combination of factors some or all of these factors:
-your HSF is not well seated and has too much thermal material
-airflow in the case is bad or even worse; totally natural (no intake of exhaust fans)
-The motherboard supplies a higher voltage than the CPU requires.
-C'n'Q not enabled
March 18, 2007 10:06:03 PM

My Athlon is a 3000 with 2.0GHz. The air flow is good. Have a nice Zalman HC fan. I have a DFI mobo and the CPU is getting 1.5V.

From what you folks are saying I have a feeling the HC paste may be to heavy and possabally the CPU may be getting just a little to much power.

What happens if I lower the power sent to the CPU to much???? How much do you try at a time???

If I'm not to far out of the norm I sure do hate to pull that Zalman off.

M25....What is the C & Q ????

thank you all for trying to help out..........................Kent
Related resources
March 18, 2007 10:10:13 PM

sounds a little warm too me.

why didnt you post this in the (other) :lol: 

oh you already know what its like down there.
its a dungeon :wink:
March 18, 2007 10:16:43 PM

Hmm, a 2GHz 3000+ can only be a socket 754 Newcastle core and 1.5V is it's stock voltage, so it is OK.
Cool'n'Quiet is a mechanism that reduces frequency and voltage of the CPU when it is idling to make it run cooler/quieter and save power. To make it work you should enable this option in the bios and install the CPU drivers (downloadable from AMD's website).
How many fans does your case have (PSU exhaust fan aside)?!
March 18, 2007 10:43:37 PM

how much hotter does it get when the cpu sustains a full load?
March 18, 2007 11:08:52 PM

Your right it is a 754 (sorry). I have seen the "cool and Quiet" wasn't it in the BIOS????

Have 5 fans, one is a slot fan that probally isn't doin much, but shouldn't be hurting the temp right??

I can't remember for sure but it seems like I recall working on something and thought I was prompted to leave the "cool and quit" off. I don't see what harm it would do to try it though.

I don't know how to run the system at full load to test it.
March 18, 2007 11:11:12 PM

Quote:
Hmm, a 2GHz 3000+ can only be a socket 754 Newcastle core and 1.5V is it's stock voltage, so it is OK.
Cool'n'Quiet is a mechanism that reduces frequency and voltage of the CPU when it is idling to make it run cooler/quieter and save power. To make it work you should enable this option in the bios and install the CPU drivers (downloadable from AMD's website).
How many fans does your case have (PSU exhaust fan aside)?!

I have a sempron 2800 for socet 754, with a stock cooler it runs about 27C, and has never got hotter than 40C, My buddy has a socket 754 3000+, that runs about the same. So i would have to say thats a bit high, my old socket A"s didnt even run that hot
March 18, 2007 11:12:13 PM

Quote:
Your right it is a 754

oh that explains it.
March 18, 2007 11:20:32 PM

Quote:
My "smart guardian" tells me my CPU temp is (average) 45c or from 113 to 117 degrees. This is pretty much with only a few programs running in the background, nothing much.

Also shows PWMIC at 94 degrees and SYSTEM at 90 degrees. Does this sound okay????

Thanks...........Kent
It's not normal, but it's not dangerous either. If it's been awhile since you last installed the HSF, I would pull it. Clean ALL the thermal grease off both surfaces with alcohol. Apply a THIN layer of new grease and reinstall. You should get a 10c drop in temp. While you're in there, clean the dust off the fans.
March 18, 2007 11:21:41 PM

I hear stats like RECONVIPER1 just posted and this is what makes me think I'm probally letting the system wear itself out early due to HEAT.

I don't even run games although this DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250 GB should be capable. I don't want to fix it if it's not broke but would like to help it run a little cooler, like recon's. Are 754's known to run warm????

Thanks for all your input......................Kent
March 18, 2007 11:23:43 PM

Quote:
You should get a 10c drop in temp.

8O
March 18, 2007 11:39:13 PM

Shocked, really?
Unstressed, my X2 3800 with stock cooling runs at case and psu temps. 35c is typical for all 3. This is hardly a contest winning number...
Dirty fans and heatsinks with old hardened thermal compound can easily cause the temps fanfuzz sees.
March 18, 2007 11:45:15 PM

Quote:
Dirty fans and heatsinks

yes

for thermal paste i have seen zero difference.

i see a difference with no paste though. about 10 to 15c.

hell i have even mixed em before :lol: 
March 18, 2007 11:46:06 PM

Quote:
Your right it is a 754 (sorry). I have seen the "cool and Quiet" wasn't it in the BIOS????

Have 5 fans, one is a slot fan that probally isn't doin much, but shouldn't be hurting the temp right??

I can't remember for sure but it seems like I recall working on something and thought I was prompted to leave the "cool and quit" off. I don't see what harm it would do to try it though.

I don't know how to run the system at full load to test it.

Well, the fans look OK, so there are two things to do now;
-enable C'n'Q in the bios (and install the drivers, because it still won't work if you enable it in the bios but don't install the drivers).
-And definitely try to reseat that CPU HSF once again, this time with a very thin (but uniform) layer of Arctic Silver 5.

P.S: Also check that the CPU fan is running at the right RPM and is not spinning slowly. In this case replace it, or check the bios to see if some option there is making it spin slower.
March 18, 2007 11:49:40 PM

Quote:
P.S: Also check that the CPU fan is running at the right RPM and is not spinning slowly.

mine does that from time to time.
March 19, 2007 12:00:15 AM

The socket 754 athlons were pretty much all very hot, mine used to get up to 60 or so.
March 19, 2007 12:10:24 AM

Alright the janitor is going to do surgury. I will enable the C&Q and go to AMD web site to see about drivers.

I will check back at this post before going for drivers. Any hints on what I look for. I guess my mobo model and the C&Q drivers for it. Right???

Thanks
March 19, 2007 12:13:58 AM

you don't need to know th motherboard model for the C'n'Q driver because it's the same I think (only OS differs maybe).
March 19, 2007 12:19:59 AM

I'm en route......wish me luck
March 19, 2007 12:42:05 AM

Good luck then :wink:
March 19, 2007 12:44:16 AM

Got it done. Temp has dropped a couple degs cels to bouncing aroung 42 to 44 (from 45+). Will try this for a while.

Also while in BIOS I noted the CPUFan is set go to full at 50c.

Thanks to all..............Kent
March 19, 2007 12:59:48 AM

Well done!
Now, if you also do a new, clean install of the HSF and pay attention to the amount of AS5 you put and the way you spread it, you will probably make the temps drop another good 2-4°C depending on the state (thickness and uniformity) of the actual paste :wink:
March 19, 2007 1:08:12 AM

Thanks for the help. I will try to clean up the Zalman HC soon. I will include some Artic paste next time I make an order. (I live in a rural area and we do not have decent parts near by.

I put your FORUMZ name on the Buddy list for me. I hope you don't mind. I have many more questions and I am going to build a system for my daughter's family.

Thanks again...............Kent
March 19, 2007 10:19:42 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I will try to clean up the Zalman HC soon. I will include some Artic paste next time I make an order. (I live in a rural area and we do not have decent parts near by.

Oh, I understand; I live in a rural COUNTRY and will have to wait another 2 months to get an Arctic Freezer 64 Pro and a couple of silent 80mm case fans :evil: 
March 19, 2007 12:42:23 PM

My temps are 43-45, is that ok?? I have a 25cm side fan and a 14cm front fan, but unfortunately, no rear fan... yet. 8)
March 19, 2007 12:55:23 PM

Your configuration, especially if both fans blow inside, is heating up your system rather than cooling it.
Just leave the 250mm fan as an intake and add a couple of 80 or better 92 mm exhaust fans.
March 19, 2007 12:59:15 PM

Quote:
Your configuration, especially if both fans blow inside, is heating up your system rather than cooling it.
Just leave the 250mm fan as an intake and add a couple of 80 or better 92 mm exhaust fans.

It only takes 2 80's or a single 120, I'm gonna get a 120, an aerocool one with 90cfm. That will be my exhaust.
March 19, 2007 1:09:11 PM

You should also remove one of the intakes because they have different airflow directions and somehow hinder each-other's performance.
!