upgrade error messages

Here are the specific errors my father gets as he
attempts his upgrade from NT 4.0 to 2000:
Stop: C000218 Registry File Failure
Cannot load registry file
systemroot\system32\configsoftware corrupt or absent or
not writable
Thank you,
David Gerstman
1 answer Last reply
More about upgrade error messages
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_upgrade (More info?)

    Hi David,

    I foudn the following KB articles that talk about the error : Stop
    0xC0000218

    How to troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 error
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314874

    How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 Error Message
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;156640

    Regards,
    Venkat.

System32 Registry Microsoft Windows