Compaq iPaq 3835 battery fully discharged - is data recove..

June 14, 2005 9:54:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hello.

I have a Compaq iPaq 3835 device that has (had) all of my contact
information and phone numbers. I have not performed a synchronize in
some time. (Not good, I know).

The battery became fully discharged and when I attempted to power the
unit on, it failed to do so. I applied external power through the
charging adapter and when I powered the unit on, I was presented the
initial setup screens. Taking it to Best Buy, they pressed the reset
button and had the same result. They advised that my data may still be
present on the device, but I think that is unlikely.

However, I am seeking any advice regarding the likelihood of the data
being present and recoverable and solicit for any utilities that may be
known to assist in a situation such as this one I am facing. The
product documentation states there is no separate backup battery, so a
fully discharged condition suggests I am not likely to recover any data.

Opinions please.

Thanks in Advance,

PB
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:54:58 PM

"PB" <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Hello.
>
> I have a Compaq iPaq 3835 device that has (had) all of my contact
> information and phone numbers. I have not performed a synchronize in some
> time. (Not good, I know).
>
> The battery became fully discharged and when I attempted to power the unit
> on, it failed to do so. I applied external power through the charging
> adapter and when I powered the unit on, I was presented the initial setup
> screens. Taking it to Best Buy, they pressed the reset button and had the
> same result. They advised that my data may still be present on the
> device, but I think that is unlikely.
>
> However, I am seeking any advice regarding the likelihood of the data
> being present and recoverable and solicit for any utilities that may be
> known to assist in a situation such as this one I am facing. The product
> documentation states there is no separate backup battery, so a fully
> discharged condition suggests I am not likely to recover any data.
>
> Opinions please.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> PB

The folks at Best Buy are wrong (I know...it's hard to believe, but it's
true). If the battery went flat, then you data is gone. You did not back
up, did not synchronize, and did not monitor battery state, and now you have
learned the consequences of that.

Bobby
July 6, 2005 9:19:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync,microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I learned there is a feature for the subject model called "Permanent
PIM" that DOES retain contact and appointments! Even HP Live Chat
Support did not know this.

End result is my contacts and appointments were preserved in
non-volatile memory.

PB

!