The best stress test

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
So this is really just a bit of a shameless plug for Tom's Hardware Communty Folding@Home team. But Folding@Home really is the best stress test too, if your PC is not 100% stable it will crash.

I could run prime95 for 24 hours, I could run it with SuperPi & Everest's stabiltity test all at the same time and be fine. I thought I was 100% stable, until I tried folding. Folding@Home would crash within hours every time, especially using the SMP client on Ubuntu 6.10 edgy through VMware server. A bit more tweaking and now I really am 100% stable, no more crashing ever.

Not only can you give your PC the best workout it's ever had, but you can help medical science, and be part of Tom's Community team.

With all the overclocked C2D's around here we could really kick ass. Hope to see you all there. :wink:

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
my game, hl2dm gives my c2d a good enough workout...
you can still fold while playing HL2 :wink:

that's crazy talk, your crazy, I like you.

I must be crazy.
I fold
run orthos
and play oblivion at the same time. :mrgreen:

Ive been folding for 4 months now, and finally got the courage to run my 1900xt with it as well. Im always watching my temps, especially now that its getting warmer/hotter (check my locale) been in the mid to high 80's here :)

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Do you keep your computer outside? Do you live in a shed, barn, or other unheated, uncooled environment? If not, then why would the weather outside affect your computer?

Centurion

Distinguished
May 28, 2004
Do you keep your computer outside? Do you live in a shed, barn, or other unheated, uncooled environment? If not, then why would the weather outside affect your computer?

And not all people live in a new house with full ac/heating systems. The house I live in was built in the 1910's. There is no central ac, just an oil furnace (which we actually stopped using this year, we are using the wood stove for heat, which is about as old as the house). My office has one small window since it is on the second floor of the house. The first summer I would not run my pc during the hottest part of the day, because the ambient temp upstairs was in the low 90's if there was no breeze. I finally bought a small window ac to bring the room into the 70's. This is in Connecticut.

Air conditioning is a somewhat recent invention compared to the age of many of the homes here on the east coast. So is electricity, lol.

Centurion