PSP WIRELESS CONNECTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedpsp

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
HI,

Can anybody help me please !!!

ive got my new psp for xmas and im currently trying to get the internet onto it, using my belkin54g wireless router, when i make a new connection the PSP connects but keeps on saying the internet connection has failed. i tried my friends NETGEAR connection across the road and that works fine, i just have to go to his house to use it. i will talk you through the processes that i did.

1st) Settings-------Network Settings-------infastructure mode !!!!

2nd) New Connection-------Scan (it picks up belkin54g, strength 90%)

3rd) Security (none)-Adress Settings (easy)-Connection name(belkin54g)

4th) Save it ----- Then i test connection it shows my ......

IP Adress
SSID
BSSID
CHannel
Security
Signal Stregth
Subnet Mask
Default Router
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS
MAC Adress
Proxy Server
Internet Browser
Internet connection: FAILED

If any-one would be so kind as to help shed some light on the
situation it would be much ablijed !!!

Email me at no_1_spurs_supporter@hotmail.com

THANKS !!!!!

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Do you have a computer also connected to the router? If so, does it have an internet connection? If so, is your computer connected wired or wireless?

If not, can you get access to a computer that you can connect to the router?

confusedpsp

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
yes i currently have a computer connected to the internet using aol.

does that have any affect on it. using aol as the internet ?

There is no computer actually plugged into the belkin router we all have them on wireless!

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
No, the reason for the question was just to be sure you actually did have the router working and connected to the internet.

Using your computer, go to the admin screen for your router and make sure you have the latest firmware. If you need to upgrade the firmware in the router, make sure you get, read, and follow the instructions carefully.

To go to the admin screen, I would not start AOL. Just start Internet Explorer and go to http://192.168.2.1.

confusedpsp

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
it still dont work ,

i tried updating it with F5D7633-4Av1_UK_1.00.11

it changed on the version info screen. it rebooted after i updated it . but my psp is doing the same as it did in the beggining, connecting `but the internet con is failing.

could you find out what the newest firmware update is and where i can download it from.

thanks again iceblue.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Your firmware is up to date.

I did some googling on your problem. Apparently, connection problems with PSP is not uncommon. Some have had success by assigning a fixed IP to the PSP. Others have found turning off security is required. Others fiddled with various options in the router and got it to work. It seems there is no consistency with how the issues were resolved, or what brand router was involved.

I'm not familiar with your particular model of router, since it is apparently for the European market.

Check this thread in another forum for people with similar problems and how they resolved them. Unfortunately, there appears to be no consistent issue or solution.

confusedpsp

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
if i assign a fixed ip to my router, is the there any chance my router might mess up. if it does can it be resolved by restoring the backup seyttings that i have saved.

thanks

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The router itself already has a fixed IP, probably 192.168.2.1 for a Belkin. The suggestion was to assign a fixed IP to your PSP. I haven't used your model of router, and I am not a gamer, so I haven't used a PSP, so you need to read the manuals. Or google it.

The router can always be put back to factory defaults. Some models allow you to backup their settings, and if yours does, then it can be restored to those settings.

I don't know about the PSP.

confusedpsp

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
i have assigned my psp a fixed ip and it still doesnt work.

and i have checked all the other forums, but nothing has seems to be there about it.

and i have tried googling the problem, and nothing seems to come up once again.

i have even tried going on to the psp website and it is still useless.

do you have any other alternative searches.

thanks.

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
As I said, I don't own a PSP. I posted a link to a discussion forum, above, with people seemingly having similar problems. That's the best I can do.

crazyhandpuppet

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Also, AOL has historically not allowed users to access the internet through their connection unless using the AOL software or having AOL connect first. Try starting your computer in Safe Mode w/ Networking and see if you can get onto the internet. If not, the PSP may not work with an AOL connection.

johnnyboy13

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I also cannot go onto the internet on my psp. Every time I test the connection it says, " a connection error has occured the atempt to obtain the IP address timed out." When I try to acess the web it also says, the attempt to obtain the IP adress timed out, I have a linkys wirless router. Pkease if you have any suggestions on what I did wrong. This is what I did Step by step,
[NEW CONNECTION]
WLAN SETTINGS-SCAN
SSID SECURITY SIGNAL STRENGTH
JAKE WEP 100%
WLAN SECURITY SETTING-NONE
ADRESS SETTINGS-EASY
then I saved the settings and tested the connection and is still said the attempt to obtain the IP adress timed out. Please help me im F-------ing tiked offf

wyersman

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009

I am getting that error did you ever find a fix email me wyersman@gmail.com. I have a Dlink but pc and laptop work fine I have tryed with and without security enabled. I have tryed wep wpa wpa2 tkip and the other thing.

G

Finally "fixed" this problem...more like a workaround as I had to disable security completely on my router.

Original problem was 802.11 g only mode was selected on my netgear 802.11 g router. The PSP was able to connect to the router...however, it was not able to obtain an IP address from the router's DHCP server. It kept timing out...

After I de-selected 802.11 only mode...my PSP was able to connect to the router (obtain IP address, etc) however, when the connection was tested to the internet...it failed.

I then completely disabled security on both my router and changed the settings on the PSP.

It now connects to the Internet just fine.

Since I can now connect to the Internet...I checked the firmware version on my PSP and I am running 2.50...the current version is 6.20 so I am now in the process of updating my PSP.

Once that is complete I will re-attempt to enable security...at least WEP...I'll repost and let y'all know how it goes.

G

oops...above should have stated....

"After I de-selected the 802.11G ONLY mode"

G

i have the same problem if you find out what to do let me know. send any info to jasso74@yahoo.com thank you

dennis_22

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I'm not a professional, i have the same problem with my psp go, so guess what i just reset my router to unsecured mode and connect the psp and everything is working perfectly, once you reset your router your psp will pick up the connection automatically. let me know if this works for you too, e-mail me at menace21-@hotmail.com

goldstar236

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
i have the same problem if you find out what to do let me know. send any info to jasso74@yahoo.com thank you
i have the same problem it just times out. where ever i go to the mall or my friends house or another house it just times out if u fixed this please email me antlovescars@msn.com ty :)

G

Folks,

I have found that if you go into your router settings and enable 802.11b as well it will allow your psp to connect to your router.

Hope that will work for you.

Rich

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Out of the box, the Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) supports the slower, first generation, widely available 802.11b network protocol, and the less-robust WEP wireless security protocol.

However, according to some discussion in the Sony Playstation Discussion Boards, the PSP apparently has a Marvell 88W8010 RF transceiver chip, which supposedly supports both 802.11b and its newer, smarter cousin 802.11g. The problem is, Sony hasn't enabled the "g" protocol.

Status
Not open for further replies.